Ok, So my front wheel bearing is making noise and I get a high frequency vibration in the gas pedal that goes away if I turn right. I see that Paul has done one on his Sunbird. Anyone else done one or both that could give some pointers. I know that wheel bearings can be a B$%ch to get out. Is the case on 1st gens? I have tried jacking the car up and holding the spring to determine which side it is, but no luck so I might just do both sides and be done with it. Any advice appreciated!!
If I ever get to my front end I am replacing everything as I said john.I imagine just taking the spindle nut off and other assorted items it should pull off,but I have yet to conquer that job.Worst case you would have to tilt the hub out and slide the shaft off the hub and maybe even remove the tie rod ends for play as this is normally required on the front axle pull out anyway.I have rear bearings NOW and just waiting to clear my to do's as I told you Friday.Personally I like doing videos for more info over pics if there is just too much to say with too many pics.Pics are nice on some jobs but elaborating by video is so much easier!
If your cv boots need replacing, now would be the time to replace them or the axle assemblies...
If not, you should replace the dust seals that go behind the wheel bearings. The splash/dust shield may be rusted away - like it was on mine. You can get new ones from a u-pull it yard for pretty cheap.
It is not a bad job at all, just don't rush it and soak everything in the penetrating oil of your choice before you get started.
Started the bearing replacement today.
Found there are to sizes for the 84 Cavalier, 10mm holes and 12mm holes. Autozone had the 12mm in stock so off I was to replace it with the 12mm bearing.
Got a 30mm socket because that was what I could find online for the hub nut size. Was a little loose on mine so I forced a 1 1/8 standard socket onto the nut and it came loose with my breaker bar.
I needed to use my impact to get it off the shaft as it was really tight all the way off.
Used a size 50 torx for the attachment bolts. Two stripped and I had to use heat and a pair of vise grips to get them out.
Don't you know it. I have the 10mm holes on mine. So I have the 10mm on order and should be in tomorrow.
Got three new allen (size 10x1.5) style high strength bolts to replace the torx that got stripped taking them off.
two new ones on bottom and old stripped one on top.
The bearing comes with new seals and a new hub nut.
Really easy as the bearing is not pressed into the knuckl
e. It just falls out once the bolts are out.
Plan on replacing the mounting bolts as the factory torx bolts have a tendency to strip very easily.
Nice tutorial as I will be tackling that job when the time comes on the front end resto.Good pics and I already had the axle nut socket as I used it back when I remove that spare trans I got two years ago.
Glad to know about the 2 different bolt hole sizes too. This and the different size bushings in the lower control arms makes me wonder about GM.....Hahaa.
Those are some beautiful BLING wheels!! SHINY
Nice to see I'm not the only one sporting White Walls! Haven't seen anything on the market with Raised Letters in 14's for a long time now. I did find 175/80/13's (yep - 80 series) WITH WhiteWalls on EBay - Called MileStar MS75. Bought one - really LIKE them! Had a hard time finding those because just about everything in an 80 series is just a trailer tire.
Yeah worn out Torx Bits will strip out a bolt in a hurry - unfortunately I am not really good at keeping fresh torx bits in my box like I should - so I got lucky pulling some of those seat belts a couple of weeks ago! Guess this is a good reminder I ought to be getting a fresh set and SOON! Well at least worn tools are Happy tools!!
My axle on the one side was a 29mm and the replacement is a 30 mm so I can relate to the fun there.
Nice to have it in the rear view.
You are right Paul!
The replacement nut is 30mm and the OE nut is probably 29mm like yours. Luckily I was able to tap on the 1 1/8 so it was nice and tight as I had to add a bar extension on my breaker bar to pop the axle nut loose.
My dust shield was near perfect so I just wire brushed it and threw on a fresh coat of black paint.
I think I am ready for most GM axles now. I had to buy the 29 and 30 for the Sunbird and a 34 for my Uplander. I hope my Traverse is also a 34... Those things get pricey as the size increases.
Got the correct 10mm bearing Saturday afternoon and 1/2 hour later was out for a drive.
Feels like a new car again. Great weather here all weekend and put about 300 miles on the old blue Cav.
Revenge might be sweet.....But SUCCESS will give you a TOOTHACHE!!
Reviving this post for a new member with a 86z.I pm a moderator to get his post moved to our board and did tell him some tips and asked questions in regards to his axle backing out.Ray smith is his name and I did pm ray in regards to getting his post removed as he just joined like Monday but now tue am as I am the late night guy.