Spotted a 1st Gen!! - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Spotted a 1st Gen!!
Sunday, February 01, 2015 8:35 PM
Thought this might make a handy generic post to place those special gems we happen to spy still on the road!

I got a treat today after leaving the Roanoke Civic Center taking in the Kazim Circus with the Grand son.

This one had the 3rd brake light on the back. By then the Hatchbacks were already thinning out in production I do believe. The drivetrain sounded pretty badly - and I doubt this one will be around too much longer too.

Re: Spotted a 1st Gen!!
Sunday, February 01, 2015 9:32 PM
Still cool to see even in the Hurting condition.I may say the driver door is sagging and probably needs new door hinge pins you think??????? Either that or the door has be tweaked from a hit on the end.I am betting hinge pins have lots of slop in them.Anytime I actually strike up a conversation on a owner with a 1st gen I just think man I could rebuild this car and fix everything for a unheard of price to make them leave quick on the cost.Btw not as tired tonight but,yesterday I was just wiped out from poor sleep due to so stupid dogs across the road were barking at like 8am for a good freaking da-n thirty minutes errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.I get up like at 1130 or so on sat before I get moving for my work day at 1pm.Today was long like 12hrs and 556 miles and feeling the drag down now.I am taking tue off to fix my washing machine with new parts and had wed-fri off as normal.Trucking just kicks some days.

Thursday, February 05, 2015 9:12 AM
Right now the Wagon is going for more than the Convertible?? Imagine that!

I gotta admit I really like that Wagon too for some reason.....If only I had the time, space and money for one more....Hahaa!!

Sunday, February 08, 2015 6:41 AM
The wagon beats the Convertible????

Convertible is finished at $1915 and the Wagon is still on the block at $2656. Who would have thought this would happen 30 some years ago?

Friday, October 16, 2015 6:41 PM
Sad ending to the story folks.

Well how about this......

Back in Feburary I spotted this red 1st Gen sporting a horrible engine and mentioned it wouldn't be around long. Today it pops up where? Online at my favorite Pick N Save on hold as a new receive. If you look carefully you can tell there is the same driver side rear wheel cover and slight dent in the drivers side fender. Another amazing hatchback to be destroyed here in Roanoke. I think this is the 3rd one to show up in a couple of years. Well at least I've heard this engine run and want NO part of it!

Probably will be February or March when this hits the yard for picking. Cold and Snowy/Muddy for sure......

Friday, October 16, 2015 7:10 PM
That stinks - hatches are RARE...

Saturday, October 17, 2015 10:15 AM
Orlen!! didn't notice you were in the Roanoke area! my old stomping grounds! went to all 3 Cave Springs and graduated from there too.

I see that cavi had a hitch on the back.... did you notice if it was a simple bracket type hitch mounted on the bumper, or was it a receiver type with removable draw bar. Thinking of adding a receiver type to mine so i can haul my bikes.

cant find any online anywhere ...only shows '95 and newer. if i knew the rear chassis mounts were the same across all generations, a newer one might work.

if you get back out there, take a look, take a few more pics from underneath showing mounting method, I'd sure appreciate it!

IF IT IS the receiver type that's NOT attached to the bumper, could you go ahead and get it for me and i'll run up there one weekend and meet up.

Thanks,

Terry

87 RS Convertible - 2.8V6 - 3-Speed Auto, Digital Dash - Complete LED / HID Conversion - Alarm/Keyless Entry
Saturday, October 17, 2015 1:53 PM
It is a shame. I have a near mint tan interior and a 53K mile engine that could have saved that car.

Saturday, October 17, 2015 6:14 PM
I'll check on it for you Terry when this one arrives in the yard.. That Wagon had one on it too but the bolts on it was rusted solid and I couldn't even dream of getting it off. I was on the fence myself regarding a hitch on my J-s somewhat concerned it would strain the transaxle on such an old car. I would at least check under your car thoroughly to make sure you aren't rusting around the rear bumper area before considering mounting a receiver up.

On a happy note - I dropped by the yard yesterday chasing after a set of seats on the '87 that recently posted available in the yard. Last year I was able to score a pair of these seats off the white Z24 the yard had at that time. I placed those seats in the '94 sedan , and , while they are grey and not matching the rest of the interior I found them much more comfortable and supportive then the stock 2nd gen sets. The ones yesterday turned out to be an exact match to the Z seats from last year. Fridays are 1/2 price day for seats only. I decided to take the time to remove the material off the rear seat cushions instead of dragging the whole rear home. The stock rears in the '94 are the optional split fold down and the solid rears on the '87 would not work........but......and here is a little tip here. Save that rear seat material and you have some spare stuff available if you ever might need to take a seat to the upholstery shop to be repaired! Best part is the fellow at the counter simply let me have that material for FREE!!! Total cost for the seats and rear Material came to $38!

Now as Ron and I had discussed together during our visit a mismatched interior looks so wrong - but considering the comfort factor and the availability of seats - well....sometimes you have to simply go with the flow. This is one instance where I decide to accept what I can find and enjoy what I can afford.

Sunday, October 18, 2015 1:08 AM
Orlen,

I wont actually tow anything with it, it would just be for occasional mounting of the bike rack.
The underside of my J is clean! no rust on the chassis! There is some surface rust on the rear axle and on the inside of the rear bumper... but nothing to worry with.
Will get it treated next spring.

Terry

87 RS Convertible - 2.8V6 - 3-Speed Auto, Digital Dash - Complete LED / HID Conversion - Alarm/Keyless Entry

Sunday, October 18, 2015 3:16 PM
spotted a first gen Z24 yesterday in my home town, was out and about on our "golden Mile". so excited to see a first gen other then mine, out on the road
Sunday, October 18, 2015 5:46 PM
Nice score on those seats Orlen. Glad to see more seats in good shape that were saved from the crusher.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search