New Member, New Cimarron - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New Member, New Cimarron
Sunday, February 08, 2015 12:00 PM
Hello 1st Gen People,

I was lucky enough to come across this MINT '88 Cimarron for a fair price. I needed a daily driver that's cheap to maintain but economical and comfortable. This example is a 49k mile 2 owner that stayed in the original family. I bought it from a "little old lady" who doesn't want to drive anymore. Came with a full service history from Rickenbaugh Cadillac here in Denver, the full "Gold Key" information book, and it drives REALLY well. I spent all last night reading through this forum and didn't see too much about Cimarrons, so enjoy these few photos I took when I first got her home. The car's name is Darlene.

Re: New Member, New Cimarron
Sunday, February 08, 2015 6:02 PM
Congrats. That's the rarest model year as they only made 6,454.

Sunday, February 08, 2015 6:11 PM
Welcome to the site Roger.

That is a nice car there. Cimmarons are really starting to get rare. I had one a few years ago and it was a nice riding j-body, tight and smooth. Just be careful with the bumper ends (fillers). They are almost impossible to find and there are two versions of them, The D'oro version with the composite headlights are the hardest to get.

Here is what mine looked like.

Sunday, February 08, 2015 7:29 PM
Nice Caddy Roger!!

Surprised to see the Leather/Velour Seats - wonder if they are original or reups.

These are a set out of an identical car like yours I picked up about 8 years ago out of a local yard.....Love 'em!!

I faithfully promise I will NOT hunt you down and steal your interior .... Hahaa!!

Sunday, February 08, 2015 7:44 PM
Nice car and the mileage is well just super crazy.As I poked thru the pics IDK if it was the ground level or you have something heavy in the trunk,but the rear is sitting kind of low!! I would consider replacing the shocks as I am willing to bet there the original's.A simple check is just push down the rear on the sides and if bounces more than 1 time your shocks are toast.Now if your looking for a recommend on shocks I will go ahead and say go with the Monroe sensa tracs from advance auto as I use these on 2 rides and smooth and not too expensive.If you have any questions about checking things by all means ask.Welcome to the site and your car is in really good shape.

Monday, February 09, 2015 8:10 PM
who knows where to get the luggage rack on the trunk cheap. I want to put it on my skyhawk but not sure where to get one. i tried online but all i could find were ones going for about $150 sooo any ideas?
Tuesday, February 10, 2015 7:19 AM
I had looked at a Rack many years ago that was on a Firenza, the Trunk Lid was a rusty mess but the Rack itself gleamed like brand new. After looking at all the drilling that had to be done for all the individual pieces I decided it wasn't worth the effort plus lots of room for a hole drilled out of place to make a headach out of things. My advice is to keep an eye out for a Lid with the Rack already attached. There was one on a Z24 I picked some pieces off of last year but the Trunk Lid was Destroyed. So I do know the Z's had those lids as options and will keep an eye out for you.

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 4:42 PM
I think I know where one is.......PM me.
Probably buried under 5 feet of snow now though. 5 feet in two weeks that is!

Saturday, February 14, 2015 10:34 AM
Hello again and thanks for your warm welcome. So I've started having some trouble with the Cavillac. It starts and idles fine when cold but once you give it throttle it sputters then dies. When the engine is warm it won't even idle. I've tested fuel pressure and it seems ok (40psi when shut off, 3-10psi less when running) and put in a new fuel filter. The air cleaner is in ok shape. There isn't much info online about these engines so if any of you have a good direction to point me in I'd really appreciate it so I can hit the road in my Cadillac.
Saturday, February 14, 2015 6:54 PM
Are you throwing any codes? CEL glowing?

Possible Throttle Position Sensor or Fuel Pressure Regulator.

Also if I remember correctly the ECM runs in closed loop mode until the engine reaches operating temperature - then the it runs with the Oxygen Sensor. This might be the source of warm engine idle failure (Oxygen Sensor) It might just be unplugged.

Definitely sounds like your Caddy wants your attention (.....and money Hahaa!! )

Saturday, February 14, 2015 9:07 PM
I would suggest checking the IAC and the maf sensors.If either of these are dirty your idle and throttle will show symptom's as the one's your having.You can clean both just be carefull on the mass air flow sensor and crc makes a cleaner just for these.The IAC you can use throttle body cleaner yes they make a crc product for this as well.Unless maybe the egr is gummed up with carbon you can remove that and clean out with carb cleaner and a toothbrush all the black carbon that gums up the pintal that moves up and down.I would not go too far and say the TPS is faulty as orlen mentioned and there are steps to check that with multimeter.Just some thoughts and I may try to link a site that shows how to check the electrical stuff and steps later.R

Saturday, February 14, 2015 9:33 PM
http://www.wellsve.com/ Ok go to the link and then in the upper left corner move your cursor over the wells tech block(do not click it).Then you will see the technical resources in the middle go over and look down to the counter point newsletter (CLICK THAT) once on the new page go over to the right side lower and click the counterpoint newsletter for the archive newsletters and click the 1997-2000 link.This has TONS of info on checking the sensors and so forth.This site has plenty to read and or learn.This is a very comprehensive understanding of the sensors and how to to check and what purpose they serve.I have shared this from time to time so I do not have to walk thru every single step of diagnostics with a particular issue as I have done some verifying things and share what I LEARN! You have come to the right place as info and helping is free and sure hope this helps isolate your issue.

Sunday, February 15, 2015 5:35 AM
Sunday, February 15, 2015 9:46 PM
Thanks orlen I was just getting tired and went the long way around to share the info!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This site def helps in our dept regardless of the engine application.Priceless.

Friday, February 20, 2015 2:37 PM
Nice Car!

Saturday, March 14, 2015 12:44 AM
Hey everyone, quick update.

It turned out that the poor running was caused by a faulty fuel injector on #4. I picked up a new one at a local parts store, got it installed this afternoon and she's back up and running. Thanks for the help.
Saturday, March 14, 2015 11:11 PM
Good deal.

Sunday, March 15, 2015 7:32 AM
Great News Roger!

If memory serves this is the second incident with a bad injector situation. Wasn't there one on here sometime back that had a bad injector causing the engine to shut down. I think it was shorting out , causing the entire system to fail.

Sunday, March 15, 2015 5:22 PM
Yes, that's exactly what happened. I couldn't believe it was the damn injector. She's running good as ever now though. I put over 200 miles on driving through parts of Colorado, she's a real cherry.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search