Went to the U-pull it and wow found some cool stuff. - Page 7 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Went to the U-pull it and wow found some cool stuff.
Tuesday, August 21, 2012 10:00 AM
Found this in the local yard. Might go back for the ground effects

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 10:17 AM
looks Good! What do the seats look like? If it has the cowl hood, I would grab that when you get the ground effects.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 11:58 AM
PM sent...

Friday, September 28, 2012 7:56 PM
Ok Guys I went junkyarding thurs and found some things but,small and for a friend of pauls.But I have found a NEW junkyard and not to much further than my favorite with get this 30 ACRES of OLDER cars.I called them and yeah they have the1982-1987 stuff the guy said there everywhere scattered.SO maybe I can find something worth a trip there and not muled over and left for scrap.I sure hope to find some strut bars and misc so IF your in need of something specific let me know.I plan on thurs oct 4 weather permitting.

Saturday, September 29, 2012 12:59 PM
Hey Ron,

Boy you have a nose for finding good yards!

After reading some threads..strut bars that fit 1st gens- this would be for whenever the bar was introduced (?) through and including '91, correct? Put me down for one- I think you said 2 guys ahead of me already had requests in so that is understood.

Also still in the market for those 2 black plastic one piece bolts that are over the radiator on 2.8s to hold down the airbox.

Happy hunting!

(Quoting a past member)-"Never underestimate a First Gen"
Saturday, September 29, 2012 10:08 PM
I am guessing based on the design idea it came on soley the first z models 86 and go up to 94.However gm changed the design so basically any 82-91 the original will fit however the 92-94 have a wider spread for the strut tower studs which is the second design.I have yet to hear of any models before 86 having this or even seen one on a vert first gen factory,or even 2nd gen vert for that matter.Yeah I am making a list of what to look for the obvious items and some other odd and ends.I so hope this yard pans out some good choices.Being most people have not much interest in the jbody stuff at the yards I go to in general.

Sunday, September 30, 2012 6:00 AM
Remember to take the camera!! Love to see what you find :-)

Sunday, September 30, 2012 2:18 PM
SpeedRacerZ wrote:Found this in the local yard. Might go back for the ground effects

Steve- PM sent.

Thank you

John M

Thursday, October 04, 2012 9:07 PM
Ok 1st got 2 front strut bars! today and steve dennis here is one 4 YOU and 1 for john masson(let me hold this one john until I find one more). Ok I hope I got ALL the pics and steve dennis here is the air cleaner set up and YES I did clean up the piece some as the shiny metal and NOTE it has the bracket to the battery tray for securing it,and tubing I need to degrease that some more,cleaned the rust off the bottom bracket and do have the mount bolts rust free after cleaning and the bolt inside the air cleaner center just let me know what parts you want and or ALL.NOW the find of a century pontiac sunbird GT.1.8 turbo vert with 91k and yeah roof toast body is STRAIGHT and engine UNTOUCHED!!!!! and nose is crimpled and has well everything.Interior shot due to top and really want to go back and get as much as I can .I will elaborate more later I am worn out.

Friday, October 05, 2012 8:40 AM
Love the rims on that Sunbird. You ought to pick up that spoiler on it Ron. Awesome job cleaning up the aircleaner box.

Friday, October 05, 2012 12:56 PM
That is amazing. Grab as much of the turbo set up as you can. Rare find in a bone yard untouched.
How are the window sweeps?

Friday, October 05, 2012 1:13 PM
SpeedRacerZ wrote:Found this in the local yard. Might go back for the ground effects

looking for a spoiler for my hatch... does this Z have one? where is it located??
Friday, October 05, 2012 2:10 PM
Dang that airbox looks like it just came off the showroom!

That setup was not intuitive to the average Joe (me) for replacing the airfilter. My '85 still had the original factory filter at 30K when I bought it. I had the dealer put in a new one as I could not figure out where it was! My MPGs jumped by 2 once replaced.

Strutbars look awesome Ron....comon'...triple play !!! Wonder when they 1st came installed w/ them? '89?

Friday, October 05, 2012 7:48 PM
Yeah I do want to go back and doodle on the sunbird(I wish I could get the whole car--WIFE would have a cow,pig,chicken and whole farm) if I did.The air cleaner box is in my paint shop,today primed all the parts metal as I stripped the old off most of it,and have new paint to be sprayed next week.It will look stupid nice (going with satin black for a factory finish) being a stock guy.I have painted 1 strut bar so far and as stated ran out of paint so next wk on the 2nd.I will have to plan more time on going back for the bird stuff(nobody has interest in it thank goodness).I however have revisited my fav yard super clean after the real junkyard I went to it is like 20minutes south and nothing new but had to check to make sure.I am going to try and venture further north next wk if I can and check a pull a part 2hrs away hoping for some more small items if I can.Busy wk for me so have to chill some 2nite,work sat-tues (but may take tues off) work on wifes car trans drain and refilll and flush brakes it is at 90k and due.Being more time off gives me a chance to dedicate a day to going to the 2hr yard I hope.Done for now and yeah John mac I wanted 2 more strut bars one for you and one more for john masson.The more the better.I think it will happen since I have found alot of wierd stuff this year just smaller but very cool.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 8:38 PM
Ok steve dennis here is your air cleaner with fresh krylon satin black and yeah multiple coats of primer and paint.I did not paint the air cleaner sides(it is plastic and it may chip, but felt it would look better just clean(which i need to wipe it off btw) after painting the bottom which is metal.SO compare the before sanded down to now and will start packing it thurs for a friday send off via fedex.Does this have a factory fresh look,I hope so bc it turned out really good,and gives that stock look to retain a real color and appearance to me.

Thursday, October 11, 2012 5:06 AM
Ron-

Once again... You are amazing. We need to get you a HUGE Pole Building to store all of these finds.

A few things - The Blue hatch looks nice, would be nice to save it for someone, maybe one of our Racers???

Theat Air Cleaner looks factory - nice job. Get some stickers and you could go into the refinishing business.

On the Sunbird Convertible - Wow, just WOW. Please take a few more pics of the engine before it comes apart - just so we have some more reference points. I could also use a pic of the hood insulator - my 84 had a real cool Pontiac Arrowhead with TURBO script through it.
A few things you should schnag if you have not already:
Insert between tailights - Arrowhead looks good from a distance, VERY rare if it says TURBO on it
Trunk Lid - if solid, the CHMSL and spoiler combination like that was only on 86/87 cars and is pretty rare.
Front Air Dam - it does not look too bad in the pics...

A few things I would like if you can get them:
Appears to be a Manual, is it 4 or 5 speed? If so, I would like the shift plate from the console.
I would like the AC Hard Lines and Condenser if present - I have the cmpressor still.
Hood insulator - looks beat up, but I would want it as a template for when I have a new one made.

Interesting to see the relays for the turbo and fan starting off in the place where I moved them on my 84.
The plastic inlet elbow that is lying on top of the engine was one of the achilles' heels of the 1.8 turbo setup, it would heat cycle and melt as pictured with this one. The 2.0 setup is far superior in that regard.

Keep em coming Ron - You Rock!

Thursday, October 11, 2012 7:22 AM
Thank you Ron!!! It looks great.

Thursday, October 11, 2012 6:14 PM
Did I mention I love the sunbird rims? I wanted that style for either my bird or camaro. What size are they?

Thursday, October 11, 2012 6:26 PM
I'm going to suggest salvaging those finder flares and the IC - thinking those are difficult to run across and someone somewhere could use them.

Friday, October 12, 2012 8:21 PM
Well steve glad you like the pics but in person in about 3 business days you will have your extras.Next paul yeah stupid cool car and needs help.I am working to get things in order to pursue more on this car.This is my 1st rare find of this nature and was pretty stoked to see it even worn in areas.Kinda laid low today after rolling 220 miles yesterday only to see 3 jbody cars and nothing really useable.They had a 86 sedan trashed out hard,a 88 coupe same deal a 94 I think.Disappointed hoping this yard would produce some good items.My true local yard has two js a 94 vert kinda hurting,and 88 rs which I got the 4 star alloys off of wks ago.I will just have to keep tabs on some places and feelers with some people for extra things.That's all for now.

Thursday, November 01, 2012 11:18 AM
Holy crap! I wish we had a yard with that stuff around here. I'd be in heaven.

Long time no hear from me, huh? Been busy most of the time, but now I'm off work for a month (temporary layoff). The vert is finally getting it's much needed top come Sunday. I'll keep an eye on this thread, Ron......just in case I may need something. Great finds, man.

Paul

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 8:31 PM
No big deal items I found today.Just some stainless trim rings for wheel wells,brown belt buckles both sides plus the sleeves that go beside the seats at the door.I got these buckles off a 1983 cavalier with brown interior and truley a different color than what I generally see.I did pick up one more air cleaner box off a 1989 cavalier and on this apparently gm uses this on the 88-94 I checked bc they have a 92,94 and exact.I guess gm used a touch different model on the 86/87 soley.The air cleaner hole for the rubber hose is oval like NOT round.I did get the tbi off the 83 cav it had the 2.0 eng like mine so extra never hurts and it is not in the pic.Going one more time thurs to my local yard in hopes.I am also looking at some other yards to go to if I find them.Simple stuff and no bragging just saving parts and had a good time.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 8:51 PM
Hey Ron,

Great hunt as always. Read w/ GREAT interest your comment on the air box duct hole being oval. If you have no use for the air box parts, I will be glad to call 'dibs'. I have an '87 box (seems to be unique for that year) comng, I can take the '89 cobble something together that works. Pm sent as well.

Thanks as always

John

Thursday, November 29, 2012 10:07 PM
My head hurts and tried to get these pics in order.I went today (thur) to my local yard.I got some NICE parts.I picked up some 1/4 glass or rear vert windows(from a 1991 cav) plus got John masson another STRUT bar so he is DONE for this.Next got a driver and pass side window sweep set from a 93 cav solid(only like 1 or 2 cracks in sweep) stupid nice plus the metal is straight!!!! I also got the black moulding that goes front to rear below the doors pretty nice mild wear but good plus the clips that hold it.I did show the rear window from the 92 vert ONE cleaned and lubed and degreased IT DOES WORK,and polished it up metal wise and you can compare the dirty to the clean took me a hour to do.I also got ALL the brackets for the vert windows and hardware and will sell this once I get the other window cleaned and ready.So now J.mac your next for the strut bar on recall when I find more,and will recheck my pm I lost count on that (tired).Maybe next wk yard two hours out for a easier find of things maybe.I did not win the power ball wed,but sure found some super cool stuff at the junkyard thursday. Left one OFF.If you notice the 93 one pic end has a groove cut in it for the metal window guide about a 1/2inch,and the pic before my blah,is solid no groove cut.To explain apparently ON the 2nd gen cars the window sweeps are different for coupes/verts groove cut out for guide,versus solid.I literally just figured this out today.Just pointing out something that IS NOT the case on the 1st gens coupe/vert.1st gens use same sweep either way idk why but gm went flat on the sweep metal in the 2nds unlike our 1st is raised up and moulded more like a hill.

Friday, November 30, 2012 4:42 AM
Sweet!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search