1988 Olds Firenza surprise - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1988 Olds Firenza surprise
Sunday, March 15, 2015 9:55 AM
I had no idea GM redesigned the front end of the Firenza at the end of its life. I think they made it with this new front end for only one year - 1988.

Anyone know much about that model year or even own one of these?

Here's a link to a story about them: http://www.curbsideclassic.com/automotive-histories/automotive-history-the-curious-case-of-the-1988-oldsmobile-firenza/

I'll attach a pic.

Re: 1988 Olds Firenza surprise
Sunday, March 15, 2015 9:56 AM
Oops. Here's the pic.
Attachments
88-Firenza-coupe.jpg (165k)

Sunday, March 15, 2015 1:36 PM
Never saw it, that's a new one on me!
Sunday, March 15, 2015 3:39 PM
Interesting information there. Oldsmobile was going through some drastic changes in 1988. Back then I was driving an 87 Olds Cutlass Supreme and was really disappointed when they discontinued the rear wheel drive G bodies. Looked at the new 89 Cutlass front wheel drives when having my car serviced and was shocked at the styling of the new 89 FWD Cutlass Supremes.

Sunday, March 15, 2015 5:01 PM
I always wondered how much money GM lost on the 1 year only Firenza freshening.

Sunday, March 15, 2015 7:37 PM
wow looks like a mini cutlass ciera! yet another front end swap option if you can find the parts
Thursday, March 19, 2015 10:48 AM
I've been searching for Firenzas just for fun and I noticed that a site you all made me aware of - www.cargurus.com - didn't even have a listing for Firenzas, so I emailed them and pointed it out. This morning they sent me an email saying they justed added Firenzas to their ad listings! Of course, there aren't any listed, but...

If you go on the site, you have to scroll down to "Other makes" and Olds is under that heading, then Firenzas.

We should all pledge to alert sites when they don't list J-bodies. I don't think Cars.com lists Skyhawks, but maybe they leave it to a classic version of their site. I think there's one...
Thursday, March 19, 2015 8:31 PM
Well relating to history I took my 2014 Tacoma today for it's inspection and smog test.While there the guy asked when I was bringing my classics in for there safety inspections.So next a much older guy asked what do you have? I said a 85 cav type 10 and listed the specs.He said I remember those and those were really nice cars! I was like WOW.So I do think our old Js are not forgotten until you bring it up and people say yeah I had this or rode in a vert,or z24 etc just talking car stuff.It is a neato moment when people can appreciate the simple cars of the 80's.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search