Upgrading an '84 'Hawk to the T-Type look - Page 2 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Upgrading an '84 'Hawk to the T-Type look
Monday, March 23, 2015 2:53 PM
I have yet to find anyone (junk yard) who will search for 1st gen parts. Most salvage yards of today are constantly turning over inventory and get rid of the cars that no one is taking parts from first. Best resource is to constantly be on ebay. I have searched used car parts.com (http://www.car-part.com/) and they will have the big parts like motors and fenders. The hard part is finding the little stuff like a manual transmission bracket mount or a turbo hood insulator pad. Great thing here is if you need help removing a part you can ask here. Someone most likely can give a little help as they have probably done it already.

Parts cars are great if you have somewhere to put it.

This is mine, has most engine and body parts if ever needed but it has the upgraded interior so it does not match my convertibles.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 6:06 AM
I would like to get the timing belt cover from that T-Type if it's not busted. Looks good in the picture. The distributor might be a good spare also. Let me know if you can get them.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 3:24 PM
if you dont need to get that car out of there, throw a cover over it and throw some moth bals and dryer sheets inside to keep the critters out and pull parts as needed. otherwise do as the guys say and grab everything. you were extremely lucky to have found your car so quickly and then have a donor car to boot. in my area these cars just dont exist anymore. although production numbers were quite high, nobody saved them. at the very least i would grab the hood,steering wheel and any t-type badging
Thursday, March 26, 2015 7:06 PM
Pic of the bezel. Sorry my friend didn't take more pics of it!
Attachments
2015-03-2507.34.54.jpg (291k)

Thursday, March 26, 2015 8:49 PM
That surely needs some resto work to bring it back.Still cool to see a Manual shifter as that is always my choice on transmissions.Shift on the fly!!!

Wednesday, April 08, 2015 4:47 PM
Okay! Today, April 8, 2015, I finally picked the 83 (not 84) Skyhawk up from the mechanic.

Here's what he did:

General check over
R & R engine and replace rear main oil seal (What's R & R? It was about HALF the cost of the repairs - $1,300)
Repair alternator output wire
Replace driver door mirror
Replace spark plugs and distributor rotor
Replace fuel filter
Back flush cooling system
Replace right transmission axle seal and half shaft
Replace hood strut
Replace front stabilizer bar links
Replace right front brake hose
Replace transmission cooler hoses
Replace rear view mirror
Install license plate holder
Replace left rear parking cable
Adjust steering linkage to straighten wheel
Partial change A/C, adjust cycling switch
Replace wiper blades
Fuel filter
Oil filter
4 quarts 10/30 motor oil
5 quarts anti-freeze
8 oz. Dot3 brake fluid
1 quart washer fluid
Shift cable grommet
1.5 lbs R134a freon

The mechanic said the car appeared to be well taken care of, so much so that he "wished he had taken a photo of the engine" when he had it "opened up." He said the engine was very clean and that he almost wondered if it had been replaced at some point. He thought the transmission pan (?) may have been replaced at some point.

Drove real nice, as it darn well better. Took it to Ace Hardware and got a couple more ignition and door keys made (they still do that!) and some fuel injector cleaner additive for the fuel. Added it.

THEN, got it in to the body shop for:

Rust repair on lower front of driver's door
Rust repair on roof
Rust repair on passenger side
Dent repair on passenger rocker panel

Going to get the rocker panel fixed because I actually found the chrome rocker panel trim for the passenger side! (I'll include a photo of the driver side WITH the trim and the passenger side WITHOUT it). I got it from this Philly wrecking yard: http://www.centurymotors.biz/

They're charging me $50 for it. Should be here tomorrow or Friday.

AND I'm having the junked T-Type's aluminum wheels redone in Springfield, Mo. Should be ready next week.

THEN - new tires!

THEN - Bankruptcy!
Attachments
IMG_0217.JPG (843k)
IMG_0215.JPG (824k)

Wednesday, April 08, 2015 7:11 PM
What a wonderful way to go Bankrupt Hugh!!

Wished we all had the resources available to do it up right the way you've done! You have a very sweet ride to enjoy and be proud of! Just a suggestion though - as rare as this machine is I wouldn't recommend you rob a bank or something and use this as the getaway car!!

I'm looking forward to a very nice photo shoot after all the work is done!

Wednesday, April 08, 2015 7:38 PM
Ha! Will do!
Wednesday, April 08, 2015 8:33 PM
The R-R is replace and or repair.That chrome strip down the side I have two of those that are while for a cavalier probably would fit your car! That is one of many parts that are shared between the models.Most of the updates I could easily do for you but,since your uh miles away your mechanic did a fine job.As you get adjusted to car start learning buy spending some cash on a shop manual or at least a chiltons or Haynes.But since your a member here we can guide you thru things if something comes up beyond your understanding and help you learn how to do it yourself.These cars are simple in some respects but,complicated in others on doing repairs,restoration and diagnostics.Car looks good to me.That is all for now

Thursday, April 09, 2015 6:28 AM
84 Cav, I agree, my local yard pissed me off royally recently, then had an 87 turbo hawk hatchback come into their yard, they wouldn't let me buy the whole car so I booked a day off work to go and pull parts, at the time I was living 2 hours away. called the day before to ensure it was still there. drove down and finally found the car crushed in the back of the lot, "yup its still here". there wasn't one piece pulled off of it. its the only J-body I have ever seen with a factory gas hood strut.
Wednesday, April 15, 2015 5:02 PM
Well, the chrome trim for the passenger-side rocker panel came in late yesterday (UPS "Second-day" air takes five or six days) and, as you can see in the photos, was a little bent at points, but the guys at the body shop said they'd work on it.

SO, took the part to the body shop along with the black grill from the T-Type. Guy was sanding the roof after fixing the rust up there. Ironically, the bare metal looked the same as the silver paint!

He said folks who come in to the shop make a big fuss over the Skyhawk being a "classic." Ha!

He said the car should be ready next week and to not have the detailers work on the new paint for at least a month, but that's just the roof and a spot on the driver side and the passenger side.

Onward and upward!
Attachments
IMG_0362.JPG (767k)
IMG_0363.JPG (715k)

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 8:23 PM
That turbo bump hood would look good on your car from the parts car.

Thursday, April 16, 2015 11:39 AM
Yeah - I need to get that.
Saturday, April 25, 2015 6:32 PM
Soooo.... got the Skyhawk back from the body shop and got the T-type wheels back from the polisher, so I'll post some pics in the next couple of days, but now I need to order the new tires.

The original size for those T-Type multi-hole rims were P205/60R14, but I can't find them. Can I upgrade to: P215/60R14? Those I can find - some nice Bridgestones complete with white lettering.

I may have had a conversation with someone on here about that, but I can't recall the outcome...
Saturday, April 25, 2015 7:27 PM
Sunday, April 26, 2015 6:00 AM
That would be a slightly wider and slightly taller tire, but it should fit.
Sunday, April 26, 2015 8:58 AM
Thanks Orlen and Wayne!
Tuesday, April 28, 2015 8:06 PM
April 28, 2015 update:

Well, back from body shop where they fixed the serious rust on the roof, a spot of rust on the front of the driver's door and a spot of rust on the rear passenger fender (before and after pics below). They also installed the black lower grill from the T-Type.

ALSO got the T-Type wheels back from polisher. They REALLY polished them and took off that sort of patina that's normally on those wheels - I think - but I think it'll still look good.

And have started using the custom-sized sunshade.

SO NOW on to the tire store Thursday for Bridgestone 215/60/14s with white lettering, then a detailing of paint, engine and interior, then back to the body shop for the attachment of the missing passenger-side rocker panel chrome strip thanks to finding the LAST eight fasteners (pictured below) for it on Ebay!

THEN, maybe, having the lower-half coated charcoal color to look more T-Typish, and adding. black bezels.

Question: I also realized that I am missing the "badge" that says "Skyhawk" (but WITHOUT the image of a bird) on the driver's door (passenger door version shown). What do I call that when I go searching for it? Interior door "script," "badge," "trim?"

ALSO - I left a message for the mechanic, but when driving it today, it would make a "woodpecker in the distance" sound every 15 seconds, making the sound for about three seconds. Sounded like a "clatter" of some kind... Thoughts? We'll see what the mechanic says. I did put in some STP oil treatment as that seems to increase compression.
Attachments
IMG_0230.JPG (948k)
IMG_0377.JPG (687k)
IMG_0213.JPG (217k)
IMG_0214.JPG (113k)

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 8:15 PM
Oops. Go backwards on looking at the before/after pics from above and here:
Attachments
IMG_0372 small.jpg (131k)
IMG_0376 SMALL.jpg (131k)
IMG_0385 SMALL.jpg (209k)
IMG_0386 SMALL.jpg (183k)
IMG_0370 SMALL.jpg (118k)

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 8:18 PM
Few more pics:
Attachments
IMG_0381 SMALL.jpg (219k)
IMG_0388 SMALL.jpg (236k)
IMG_0384 small.jpg (127k)

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 10:34 PM
The wheels look freaking awesome.The emblem missing on the door is well a emblem.On searching I would try several versions like interior emblems,emblems by itself and or yes badges would work too.The noise you heard could be valves but,it could be a number of things if the car is moving.I personally stay AWAY from any oil additives period.Your car has very low miles and as long as the car does not use oil or have weak compression just do the normal oil changes with the correct weight and a decent filter and be done.The oil products can create more problems on a good engine due to flow,foaming and gooking up the inside.Don't sweat adding it this time,but stay farrrrrrr away from oil additives unless a real problem is present and soley a band aid until a correction is made.

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 10:09 AM
Hmm... Thanks, Ron - I will. I guess the same is true for gas additives? I added STP oil treatment to "clear out the injectors."
Wednesday, April 29, 2015 12:31 PM
Have to agree, those wheels look like new!
The rims will probably be the most satisfying thing you do to this car. It will really make it stand out.

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 8:58 PM
I am not for using oil additives but DO recommend using a fuel treatment for the fuel system.With today's fuel with the ethanol it just deteriorates and gums up the fuel system on older cars especially.My recommend is run 93 octane I prefer bp even if it has 10% ethanol as this is less problematic.My personal choices are seafoam,startron or chevron techron fuel additives.I will say all these choices have been good for my use.All of these 3 can be bought at walmart cheaper than anywhere else!!! Unless napa runs a special like for $6.99 on occasion on the seafoam.Last year I had a fuel pump go out(just age) and my fuel sender and my fuel sat too long and staled out due to age.I only leave 2 gallons in my car as it sits more so the fuel will not go bad and turn orange and smell horrid.Those wheels do look kick az though! twice on that comment.Long yard working day and I am just toast.

Friday, May 01, 2015 8:20 PM
nice i found a pair of original buick hubcaps to go on my 84 skyhawk. i will say interior is nice on that. i have the standard ones and i will say i am not a fan of them at all. i hate the whole carpeted look
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search