Upgrading an '84 'Hawk to the T-Type look - Page 3 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Upgrading an '84 'Hawk to the T-Type look
Saturday, May 02, 2015 11:16 AM
You're not a fan of the standard hubcaps? And you don't like the carpeting in the Skyhawk? Don't they all have carpeting?

Monday, May 04, 2015 9:18 AM
Well, the detailers should be here any moment, but a slight setback: I go to start the Skyhawk, all the lights on the dash turn on as is normal, but when I put the key to the start position - nothing. It doesn't attempt to start - just silence. Nothing engages.

Any suggestions?
Monday, May 04, 2015 11:28 AM
Sometimes the battery is strong enough for lights, but not anything else.

Try a jump, recharge battery/different battery.
Monday, May 04, 2015 5:32 PM
That did it! Battery was at 50 percent charge, and I know they alternator is new, so I charged it, started it and went and got a new battery. Thanks!
Monday, May 04, 2015 10:16 PM
Oh well disregard my pm response.I was thinking a touch too hard and glad you took a Simple action and done! Tired I am today.

Tuesday, May 05, 2015 4:42 AM
Hugh--

I don't know that you needed to buy a battery.

Someone else can come in and correct my technical errors here:

The battery is mostly there just to get you started, it supplies the juice so the electric starter can get the motor going (fuel pumping, etc.). Once it's fired up, the alternator takes over and allows it to keep running. It's set up so it also charges the battery.

Unlike your TV remote control's Duracell, it can pretty much fully recharge if you leave your lights on and kill the battery. You just need to take it for a nice long ride to recharge it.

However, the juice in the battery will only keep recharging for so long, so after about 5 years, if you kill your battery it is time for a new one. I've mostly gotten from 5-7 years out of batteries in my cars. I also like to buy ones with a high number of CCA (cold cranking amps).
Tuesday, May 05, 2015 9:44 AM
Well, I knew that the alternator was new, and I knew that this batter was on the car when it sat for a long time under the previous owner and under the former failed alternator. I couldn't see what year the old battery was, so I figured since every other darn thing is new on the car, I might as well get a new battery too. This way I know exactly how old every darn part on the car is. Next up: Getting that trim put back on. Thanks, though!
Tuesday, May 05, 2015 1:01 PM
In that case, I totally would've went with a new battery as well.
Wednesday, May 06, 2015 8:19 AM
what i meant about the carpet was that the door panels have this "carpet" look to them and I think it is ugly as hell. i only ripped up my actual carpets because i have a couple of holes to patch in the floor and water was constantly underneath the carpet and would never dry. i patched the rear wheel well on the out side but my patching will have to take a hold for the moment until i get more fiberglass resin.
Thursday, May 07, 2015 11:33 AM
Ha! Yeah - carpet halfway up the door was a luxury thing in the 70s and 80, I think. REALLY wall-to-wall carpeting. I remember Lincoln Town Cars had them WAY up the doors.

I had a T-Type, now a parts car, that would steam up when it got warm outside. I think it was FULL of water and I eventually gave it to a friend and now the floors have rusted out completely.
Thursday, May 07, 2015 11:38 AM
WELL, latest update: The detailers came Monday but sort of gave up. I think they just didn't want to fight with it. They said if they did the full paint restoration, the sides would shine but the hood would be sort of flat, so they just gave it a wax and will be back Friday of next week to do the engine and interior. I may try to restore the paint myself, OR have them do the plasti-dip spray to turn the top white and the lower half T-Type charcoal. OR I might have the whole thing repainted... NEXT YEAR or when I can save some money. Man this is pricey endeavor.

SO - Next Monday, the trim along the passenger rocker panel allegedly gets put back on, then Friday, interior and engine detailing, then I'll put the custom mats in and the dash protector, then photos, then ya'll can see what you think.

The reconditioned T-Type wheels are on and the new tires are 14' up from 13' and MAN what a difference it makes. NOW it rides like the car I remember in high school. Amazingly different.

OH - Question: I notice there's a Skyhawk in Sacramento that he says is very good but carries a "salvage" title. Would any of you guys ever buy a car with a salvage title? Why or why not? I'm not buying another Skyhawk, but was curious as to how bad "salvage" is.

Thursday, May 07, 2015 1:08 PM
Salvage rules or in some states reconstructed rules vary from state to state; and the cause of the salvage title can mean something that isn't a big deal or is a big deal on each individual car. I knew of a car with the reconstructed title that was due to flooding. The water got up to the bottom of the doors and ruined the carpet, but there was nothing else wrong with the car. A place I know of sells reconditioned vehicles and this was one of them, they do a great job and often I would buy off their lot. I haven't done it, but I would certainly look at them.

If I was interested, I would look at it just as I would any other SkyHawk, but mostly because of how rare they are. Otherwise, be extra careful when buying.

My view of buying a used car is as long as the engine and transmission are good, the rest are accessories that can go wrong at any time just like any other car.
Friday, May 22, 2015 3:46 PM
May 22, 2015: Phase I of the restoration COMPLETE!

Since the last update, I've had:

The new, larger (14-inch up from 13-inch) tires put on the reconditioned T-Type rims, had all four wheels rebalanced and re-aligned, had the car detailed outside, inside as well as the engine compartment, found the missing rocker panel trim for the passenger side, found the things to attach it to, had it put on as well as had the T-Type's grill and black bezel's put on (after I re-spray-painted them black) and put in new floor mats.

The final thing will be to install the custom-made dash cover.

Phase II MAY involve either having that paint-like coating put on - either charcoal-color only for the bottom or charcoal on the bottom and white on top, OR getting it repainted that way. If I repaint, it'll be professionally and next year.

The detailers sort of gave up on it. They said the paint was too far gone, or at least, if they made the sides shiny, then it would look odd because the hood was too far gone and will always look... non-shiny. AND YET, today on the hood I used Meguier's Ultimate Compound followed-up with wax designed for white/lighter paint and the hood doesn't look bad, so I may make paint restoration a small project. I bought a clay bar today with that in mind.

I also gave the parts that needed it a good Armor-All-ing, and I bought a Back to Black bottle from Mother's and I'll use that on all the black trim.
OH - and a find I'm very proud of is the emblem for the inside driver's door that says "Skyhawk." The passenger door has it and I could see the little holes on the driver's door where it should be. I found it online, scrubbed away the rust and glued it in and it looks fine. It's smaller than the outdoor script and doesn't have a bird on it.
AND I found the proper 1983 owner's manual and put that in the glove box.

AND I put two new exhaust tips on to cover up the rust-colored ones, but they were only about $4 each and they're already rusting/changing color, so I guess they're not stainless steel. I guess I'll look for those.

QUESTION: I've owned an '84 and and '86 Skyhawk, and I'm convinced the tri-shield trim on the nose cone for this '83 is a bit smaller. It measures about 2.7 inches in diameter. If someone with an older version could measure theirs, I'd appreciate it.
Friday, May 22, 2015 3:48 PM
Oops. Some photos:
Attachments
IMG_0404 SMALL.jpg (63k)
IMG_0393 SMALL.jpg (67k)
IMG_0407 SMALL.jpg (65k)
IMG_0396 SMALL.jpg (103k)

Friday, May 22, 2015 3:51 PM
Friday, May 22, 2015 3:52 PM
Obviously, all the photo get jumbled, BUT:
Attachments
IMG_0454 SMALL.jpg (97k)
IMG_0463 SMALL.jpg (119k)
IMG_0469 SMALL.jpg (113k)

Friday, May 22, 2015 3:54 PM
The finished package (SO far): What do you think?
Attachments
IMG_0484 SMALL.jpg (435k)
IMG_0483 SMALL.jpg (197k)
IMG_0476 SMALL.jpg (152k)
IMG_0479 SMALL.jpg (142k)

Friday, May 22, 2015 8:48 PM
Looks great! I see you have some old sticker residue on the rear bumper cover close to the exhaust.You can lightly use a rag with brake cleaner to remove that(if used to strong) it will cut thru the paint.A alternate is paint thinner,or even some rustoleum wax and tar remover(sold at like autozone) on the rustoleum product.Once you clean it off,go back over the paint with a good polish like meguairs or even wax to re-oil the paints condition so it does not dry out and leave a spot.Brake cleaner is fine just not sprayed on to the paint,just spray a rag and rub with a good pressure and it should come out.I am a meguairs product guy and use probably ten different professional grade products in the Tan bottles and there not cheap.Like the cars results and enjoy it!!

Saturday, May 23, 2015 9:51 AM
Will do. Thanks, Ron!
Saturday, May 23, 2015 7:01 PM
looks great!

Tuesday, June 02, 2015 10:52 AM
Thanks, Paul!

Well, took it to lunch (well, drove it to lunch where I had lunch with a friend) and it did everything but TRY to start, and a jump wouldn't work, SO, back to my trusted mechanic. Diagnosis: Bad starter, and since I asked him to check out the AC which, despite his claims, did not seem to be cooling ANYTHING even remotely (it's so hot and sticky in Missouri during the summer that I toyed with storing it from June - October) and he found SOMETHING and is going to be replacing various hoses and... compressor, maybe? (I'm a mechanics dream because my standard response is: "Okay - whatever you think."

Hit: $1,300.

SO, that's the end of the "new car" savings account. I hope that's it for awhile so the well can refill a little. I think it's worth sinking a bit more into because when I do drive it, it's just a blast, and I don't know why - nostalgia or, as the guy who detailed the interior said - "You probably get a greater sense of speed from this car (88 hp) than from your Porsche (330 hp)." It's true! Going around a curve at 50 in the Skyhawk is breathtaking! In the Porsche, it's barely noticeable!

OH - anyone have a chance to measure the Buick tri-shield badge on their Skyhawk's nose cone? I swear they got much bigger by 1986.

Tuesday, June 02, 2015 1:13 PM
At least the starter on your OHV is crazy easy to replace, because the Brazil engine starter is crazy hard

Tuesday, June 02, 2015 1:25 PM
What makes it crazy hard?
Tuesday, June 02, 2015 3:25 PM
Crazy hard is this.....

This is the 2.0, but the 1.8 is the same. Starter is on the firewall side under that coolant pipe. Even with the head and manifolds out of the way it is almost impossible to see. I think manual transaxles are a little easier to work around , but the automatics don't help at all.

Tuesday, June 02, 2015 6:12 PM
Orlen-

Mine wasn't too bad on my 1.8 Turbo, but the design of the intake manifold gives you a little room under there. Still at least one "blind" bolt if I remember correctly.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search