Upgrading an '84 'Hawk to the T-Type look - Page 5 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Upgrading an '84 'Hawk to the T-Type look
Monday, August 17, 2015 2:42 PM
J bodys were sent to ASC for the conversion up to around 90 or 91. GM also sent the 84-85 Eldorados there as well. Hess & Eisenhardt also did some of the other "odd" GM convertibles of the era.

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 7:57 PM
Thanks Wayne and 84. Even the windows are different, huh?

Here's what the body guy said when I asked about reinforcement: "The underside of car will have to have a 81-86" piece of D schedule 1"x2" box steel installed and I would plan on 2 weeks for job just for some extra head scratching time."

I have no idea what that means. Do you guys?
Tuesday, April 18, 2017 6:32 PM
Haven't updated in awhile, so I thought I'd mention a recent repair.

I've been enjoying my 83 custom - basically my secondary car but I seem to drive it every few days.

Last year it began to stall on hot restart and it seemed like it would struggle up hills. I finally turned it in to my mechanic in December. In FEBRUARY of this year, it was ready. GREAT guy and great mechanic, but even HE said he was about to give up. I think it ended up being the fuel pump, but that was the first thing he checked but he was getting good numbers from it while driving, but eventually realized it was the issue. You'll see he replaced a few other things as well. It's been great ever since.

I had the side and rear windows tinted only to save the interior from fading as I have to park it outside. I didn't realize you can't really tell the tinting from the inside.

ALSO - my mechanic said that while working on it, he was standing over the engine, revving it. He turned away for a moment and heard like a small BOOM! He looked around and noticed something sticking out of the wall. He went over and found a sliver of plastic blade. He looked up in the ceiling and it was filled with plastic blade shards. He came very close to either being blinded or worse by an old, brittle plastic fan that basically splintered apart from inside the Skyhawk's engine. Be sure to check yours just in case!

Here's what he did. I guess the exploded fan must be in here somewhere:

Tighten transmission cooler hose clamps
Test for start and die – low power
Replace fuel injector
Replace fuel filter
Replace oxygen sensor
Replace idle air control motor – adjust
(Throttle stop and throttle position sensor)
Replace engine control module
Replace fuel pump and strainer
Missouri vehicle inspection
Total: $1,345
Wednesday, April 19, 2017 7:06 AM
The windows are different along with the regulators, window guides, and outer window moldings. Extra reinforcement was added to the outer rocker panels, the inside, the cowl panels, windshield pillars, and along the sides of the rear seats. The rear seats are narrower on the convertible, than the ones on the coupe.
Wednesday, April 19, 2017 4:16 PM
Thanks Frank. I may someday try to find a first-gen Sunbird then swap out the nose, tail lights, badging and bumper strips and "make" it a Skyhawk convertible!
Thursday, April 20, 2017 5:56 PM
In short the fuel pump strainer was probably blocked up and and could create the issue you had.Keep in mind with todays fuels with ethanol this can seriously eat up fuel lines,and or fuel components.I suggest run 93 octane and add some seafoam and or star tron fuel supplement to your fuel.Trust me this affects even the low end stuff like lawn tractors and two cycle equipment and makes a lot of problems.The pic shown was from 2014 and granted I replaced my fuel pump assembly back inb 1998 so yeah I got my time out of it just no real miles.I hope your mechanic used a AC delco pump as the after market pumps just flat out suck.

Sunday, April 23, 2017 8:16 PM
Thanks, Ron. I actually bought some Seafoam at the advice of a friend, but never used it. How much should I put in and how often?
Sunday, April 23, 2017 9:33 PM
Just a few ounces and definitely use the 93 octane even if it has the 10% ethanol.One can can last a good while.Buy this at walmart as this is only like $6.74 over ten bucks or more at any auto store.On this product you can never add too much as it helps keep the fuel clean and the fuel system in general.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 5:00 PM
Thanks, Ron - I'll do it tomorrow!
Tuesday, April 25, 2017 8:38 PM
Good deal.Just a few ounces goes a long way.Over adding will not hurt either just for fyi.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search