Hunting Skyhawks... Wanna sell? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Hunting Skyhawks... Wanna sell?
Wednesday, March 04, 2015 12:27 PM
Hello, all! New to the forum but not Skyhawks. I had one in high school in the 1980s and loved it. Would love to own an automatic coupe again, preferably 82-86, but would consider the hidden headlamp models from 86 on. (Not as wild about the "missing headlamp doors" models, but MIGHT consider).

Of course, a T-Type would be great, but even a Custom or Limited is fine.

Anyone on here interested in selling theirs? Anyone know of any out around the nation for sale?

Thanks!

Re: Hunting Skyhawks... Wanna sell?
Wednesday, March 04, 2015 1:04 PM
My story is the same, I spent a summer in 2008 looking for one. I have now had mine 6 1/2 years, the same amount of time I owned my first one.

I really doubt anyone here wants to let go of their precious J's...

but here ya go, all the ones in the USA; and boy did you pick the right time to get sentimental...I've never seen so many available at one time!

http://florencesc.craigslist.org/cto/4894985236.html

http://muncie.craigslist.org/cto/4898969478.html

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/4911260854.html

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/4915703906.html
Wednesday, March 04, 2015 9:08 PM
See Hugh I told you they hide until requested for info! The one's listed are too far fetched or ragged out and price I suggested I think was not too far from what most are asking,but not what they will get imo.Just as a note guys hugh contacted me in regards to finding said car of interest,I new he is to the site! I myself totally forgot to say Welcome aboard and the list wayne shared does seem pretty GOOD to choose from.There are a hand full of us that frequent the place and it has been calm lately,but that is normal unless a project or issue pops up.Ron

Thursday, March 05, 2015 6:17 AM
Thursday, March 05, 2015 9:21 AM
Thanks, guys. Wayne - you'll have to teach me how to do a mass-search of Craigslist. That was great! I'm stuck going by their cities list, which isn't complete, of course, and very time-consuming.

The Kansas City Skyhawk is sold and I haven't heard back from the South Carolina or Sacramento folks. The Ohio hawk is lovely, but I'll see if I can get either hidden headlamps or the earlier front end look. Thanks, Spike, for the Cali listing on the red Skyhawk but I'm hoping to find one in slightly better shape - may be too much to hope for.

Thanks to all and if you do learn of more, I'm at: kanga573@aol.com. And if anyone on here wants to sell, give me first dibs!
Thursday, March 05, 2015 12:40 PM
I use Search Tempest to search Craigslist.

http://www.searchtempest.com/

Have fun!
Thursday, March 05, 2015 7:27 PM
autotempest will get you more specific for the cars, I've used it for years.

Before that existed, I had to make my own bot to search all the CL within 1000 miles when I was looking for a Hawk.
Thursday, March 05, 2015 8:13 PM
I am not looking for a Skyhawk , but sure have enjoyed all the photos that have come along with this thread! I have a special folder on my computer devoted to all kinds of J-Bodies and this has really added to the Skyhawk library! Spikes post had an unusually large collection of photos of that '84. I almost feel like I've owned that particular one after seeing every part of it like that!

Personally, I think Spikes find is one of the best to get. It is rust free yet has all the TLC needs that make a J-Body so special. By the time you get it to your own personal level of condition it has a that quality of "personal value" that you can't get any other way. Once you have put yourself in a project it becomes a reflection of your tastes and abilities. Also there is that satisfaction of having "preserved" one of the - almost lost - examples. Just my 2 cents worth. I do hope some one picks this little Coupe up and make some happy memories with it!!

Friday, March 06, 2015 4:29 AM
I like how Spike's link showed a SkyHawk next to a Ferrari...

Very interesting interior on that one, two tone as well. I'd also like to know what's going on below the radio there, looks like they may have squeezed in a gps or something.
Friday, March 06, 2015 10:39 PM
Found a real nice 22 min. video of that red '84. There is some nasty rusting on the upper areas of that Coupe. Worst yet some of it is on the roof (17:15) and from my experiences with corrosion like this when the paint is blistered in this way this means almost always the rust has perforated. You can see this blistering clearly on the hood, roof and trunlid in small patches. Rust can form in broad areas or in small localized patches. When you have those small patches it can be bad news because the rust will go straight down! Hopefully this video, if nothing else, can help show someone what to watch out for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyQ5MI2Gwtk&list=PLRXkfNk7w55vUs23LiEV_amA2rowpDAsH

Monday, March 09, 2015 11:55 AM

Monday, March 09, 2015 6:51 PM
Thanks! Appreciated!
Saturday, March 14, 2015 12:32 PM
Got the Kansas City Skyhawk yesterday. Drove it two hours home. Had a friend following me the whole way "for the inevitable break down" and no problems at all. Raced along at 65, then started passing slower traffic with it!

Only 69K, a 1984 Custom Coupe. VERY clean. It's going into the shop Tuesday for a checkout and maybe a tune-up, then fluids and filter changes, then professional detailing in and out. I may then try to "convert" it to a T-Type look - charcoal-colored lower half and white upper half, black bezels and maybe black-tape over the silver parts (or spray paint) that should be T-Type black. I'm not going to have it repainted. There's a new technique in which they spray a coating over your paint for far less than re-painting it, and you can always pull it off a few years later if you want. If it gets chipped, they or maybe you just dab on some more of the coating. Can't remember what it's called buy my detailer offers it. I'll post the "after" photos. I think it'll cost about $500 for the new color when done that way.

Oh - and a friend has a T-Type for me to raid for parts...

Thanks for all the help on here. Great board!
Attachments
00G0G_afkW7zocMO6_600x450.jpg (31k)
00e0e_3ab9H3pGvd6_600x450.jpg (24k)
00c0c_3z81ZjjPVqt_600x450.jpg (29k)
00O0O_fHFVTn1hwzA_600x450.jpg (27k)

Saturday, March 14, 2015 4:35 PM
NIce pickup! I sure do miss having a 1st gen J.

Saturday, March 14, 2015 11:08 PM
Congrats on the buy.Once you get settled in with it show more interior close ups,and engine bay stuff.If you have any questions as far as the mechanical side just ask!We all here have done various updates and what to buy brand wise,and checking things etc.I could write a novel on some aspects but,I am a touch worn out after 400 miles of driving today job wise.Done for now and again nice choice and it looks pretty straight so far.Ron

Sunday, March 15, 2015 5:28 AM
very nice. looks like a exceptional unmolested survivor. would like to see more pics to compare to my 86 limited. the interior looks almost identical to mine except for the center piece on the steering wheel. i also have the complete gauge package instead of the warning lights. i also have the cassete holder that sits under the radio. is yours missing or is there something else they put under there? as good as that car looks, before you have that plastic coating done maybe a professional buff job would bring that paint back to life. i have seen some very faded cars turn out just beautiful. i have only seen the coating process you mentioned on tv and i will wait till i see it in person to form my opinion. your car looks in great shape and it doesnt look like it needs much at all. have fun with it . check out my hawk i just finnished last fall. i wish mine was in as good of shape as yours when i started. we also are starting to refresh and repaint my wifes rs convertable and wil be posting on that adventure soon.
Sunday, March 15, 2015 7:52 AM
Wonderful News John!

Now you have something you can actually Work on!! Simple and Cheap. Non-interference engine, no cam-phasing. No air bag to blow up in your face, no anti-lock brakes to have to fix! Heck your model doesn't even have a 3rd brake light to worry about ruining an inspection. Simple - single fuel injector throttle body. Mark it down if it ever throws a CEL - because there isn't much to do that either.

Now you can start her up turn on some '80's music - go down the road and enjoy some life..... Hahaa!! Maybe someone will notice your ride and envy you too - cause they just might be eat up with car payments and repair bills!!

Who knows - someone on here just might read this and decide they'd like to have one of their own too!

I warn ya though, just look at my sig and you can tell these things are a wee bit like Lays Potato Chips!!

Sunday, March 15, 2015 1:37 PM
Glad I could point you to a good one--more pics!
Sunday, March 15, 2015 3:18 PM
Nice looking car there. The thing is, now these cars are starting to get respect. I find every year more and more people compliment the car and say I used to have one like that. I have had a few mechanics say they used to work on those all the time. Like Orlen says turn up the eighties music and cruise.

Monday, March 16, 2015 5:05 PM
Thanks for all the nice and supportive comments.

To John: That little empty area under the radio is just what GM did if you didn't get the upgrades, I guess, as I had the same little cubby hole in my original 1984 Custom. Do you think I can "upgrade" to the cassette holders? There's one in the T-Type I'm cannabalizing! Also - I'm sure the silver paint could be brought back to life, but I'm hoping for a T-Type "look," that is, charcoal color on the bottom half of the car and something else up top. I've always wanted burgundy or white on top, but maybe I should stick to silver on top - that would give it the look of the original T-Types as featured in the Buick ads, especially if I only black out the bezels around the headlamps and not the silver parts on the front hood "ornament" and the side molding. I believe only in the T-Type's second year on did they black out just about ALL the chrome-looking pieces.

Oh - and 84conv - you're right. I swear I'm getting more looks and interest in the Skyhawk thank I'm getting in my Porsche! I think they bring back memories to those who remember/were around in the 80s, and everyone else is probably amazed to see a car with CRISP lines that looks unique and not like an egg.

I've thrown in more pics from the ad and will launch a new thread for the restoration and upgrading.

*** No matter how many decades later you may be seeing this thread - still let me know if you are selling a Skyhawk. I may still be interested! **
Attachments
00T0T_9IHUpI6GBTJ_600x450.jpg (33k)
00G0G_afkW7zocMO6_600x450.jpg (31k)
00404_7VRo3RbjHkx_600x450.jpg (16k)
00o0o_kRaidZA8oAd_600x450.jpg (23k)

Monday, March 16, 2015 9:42 PM
Nice pics so far and the one's you showed in the other thread.

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 6:05 AM
Putting that cassette holder in there is no upgrade...do you still have cassettes?

That middle hole doesn't just pop out for a cassette holder to pop in either. I thought that was how it worked until I found one with the hole in a junkyard and I wanted it to replace my cassette holder. That lower dash is all one piece, and it will take your cigarette lighter, "hole area", and your rear defogger/fog light switches with it. So if you have a rear defogger and you want the cassette holder, you need to find a car not only with the cassette holder, but with a rear defogger.

My car, with all the factory options it does have, did not come with a rear defogger and it did come with the cassette holder. I now have the hole and a rear defogger switch that does nothing, because there is no rear defogger. I might still have the cassette thing still lying around, which has no place for rear defogger switch, so if you don't have a rear defogger and you really want the cassette thing, it's yours.
Tuesday, March 17, 2015 2:45 PM
Thanks, Wayne, but I do have the rear defogger AND the radio appears to be dead, so guess I'll just keep my cubby hole!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search