Cluster swap. 87 cavalier RS to digital or 88 to 90 full gauge. Which would be the easier swap - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cluster swap. 87 cavalier RS to digital or 88 to 90 full gauge. Which would be the easier swap
Wednesday, March 18, 2015 2:40 PM
As we all seen before the standard RS cluster

Then the digital cluster

And the cluster that came in the 88 to 90 RS and z24 cavaliers (I think)

Re: Cluster swap. 87 cavalier RS to digital or 88 to 90 full gauge. Which would be the easier swap
Wednesday, March 18, 2015 9:35 PM
My thoughts are the digital cluster requires a lot of re pinning and time based on the reads I have seen.The analog style 88-90 would probably require re-pinning as the cluster have the specific plugs going into the cluster that are wired to each cluster.Idk if either would be worth the time or effort ,however the analog cluster might be a easier rewire wise.Since I would never change mine,out of site out of mind on changes as such.I guess it just depends on how bad you really want a change and I am not really to excited about butchering a solid harness or plug in with the problems it may later create from shorts or being carefull to remove it and not break some wiring free as a result.I think I would have to remove the newer analog cluster and see how the plug in's are mounted before I did any changes over the standard.Just my take.

Re: Cluster swap. 87 cavalier RS to digital or 88 to 90 full gauge. Which would be the easier swap
Friday, March 20, 2015 3:11 PM
Here is a write up where crashdummy did an analog to digital swap on his wagon.

http://www.v6z24.com/jbodyforum/crashdummys-analog-to-digial-dash-swap-t116055,highlight,analog+digital.html
Saturday, March 21, 2015 7:14 AM
Those digital ones are cool...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search