Window Seals and Scrapers - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Window Seals and Scrapers
Friday, April 17, 2015 11:17 AM
If you haven't read my intro thread, I brought my 86 Z24 Coupe down to NC after it being off the road for the last decade. Since then, the window seals and scrapers have all dry-rotted and cracked. Thus, time for some more. Anyone know where to locate these things?

Re: Window Seals and Scrapers
Friday, April 17, 2015 11:30 AM
Alas- tis the Holy Grail of all beloved J-Bodies my friend.

You can overhaul the outer by essentially buying the same piece as the inside part that is on the door panel. It involves removing the entire rubber section with a Dremel tool and then riveting the new piece onto the old metal bracket. It works and works well but in no way will be nor look original.

Wish I had better news. Some items for these cars just aren't available - no market for the manufacturers to invest for.

Friday, April 17, 2015 11:50 AM
Orlen Brown wrote:Alas- tis the Holy Grail of all beloved J-Bodies my friend.

You can overhaul the outer by essentially buying the same piece as the inside part that is on the door panel. It involves removing the entire rubber section with a Dremel tool and then riveting the new piece onto the old metal bracket. It works and works well but in no way will be nor look original.

Wish I had better news. Some items for these cars just aren't available - no market for the manufacturers to invest for.

If I have to, I will buy F or G-body seals and shorten them down, but I'd like to put the right parts back on if I can. I thought about the method you mentioned for the sweepers as well, but haven't had or seen a spare coupe door panel in forever.
Friday, April 17, 2015 12:09 PM
I meant sweepers...not seals.
Friday, April 17, 2015 9:30 PM
I can tell you no one makes a replacement oem window sweep(aka window belt) for the outside or inside against the glass.Since your here why not share a picture of said car to humour us and or just wow.

Sunday, April 19, 2015 6:29 PM
I was chasing this about a year ago and they guy won't call me back...

Sunday, April 19, 2015 7:07 PM
I reconditioned mine with stripping from Restoration specialties on my convertible. I am about to redo the inner and outer strips for my 86 convertible. It's a tedious job but the results are great for something you can't buy. I also bought the window bumper material for the convertible windows and did them as well and made a huge difference. My doors are solid and keep water and debris out and the slight difference with the tiny lip at top is not noticeable at all.

Sunday, April 19, 2015 7:11 PM
The YMR260X-96iWIN is the part number for the outer strip repair.

Sunday, April 19, 2015 7:29 PM
Finally not working or doing chores around the house, so time for some pics.

I have a lot of spare parts for it, too. 3 extra sets of ground effects, a front and rear bumper, nose section, fenders, etc. I still haven't dug through all the stuff that's still left in it either.
Sunday, April 19, 2015 7:32 PM
Red on red. That will be nice1

Sunday, April 19, 2015 7:35 PM
Philip Andrews wrote:Red on red. That will be nice1

It's actually red with lilac pearlcoat...aka pink. LOL But, it was my mom's and I love it all the same. LOL

Sunday, April 19, 2015 10:20 PM
I do like the color combo.Once you get into refreshing it snap some interior shots and under the hood to show it's real condition.If your lacking some need items just post up the items here as I can generally locate hard to find pieces.I am currently searching for some items and have not found what I need yet.I am keeping it short as I am just wiped out today from driving 547 miles and in lots of rain and mentally just drained.I assume your car runs correct..

Sunday, April 19, 2015 10:24 PM
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=28&i=12204&t=12204 Just a quick share of the items I have found over several years and I have deleted some pics in this post over time.

Monday, April 20, 2015 5:23 AM
Ron Love wrote:I do like the color combo.Once you get into refreshing it snap some interior shots and under the hood to show it's real condition.If your lacking some need items just post up the items here as I can generally locate hard to find pieces.I am currently searching for some items and have not found what I need yet.I am keeping it short as I am just wiped out today from driving 547 miles and in lots of rain and mentally just drained.I assume your car runs correct..

Yes she runs...on nearly decade old fuel (last time it was driven was 2006, but it has been started here and there over the years.) The only wear spot (about the size of a quarter) on the interior is the driver side front seat from the padding coming apart, but otherwise the interior (although a little sun faded in places) is in very good condition. Everything electrically works including the instrument cluster, but even that was replaced (I also have 3 spares.) It stopped being driven because it gets horrible fuel mileage due to the not-so-stock engine and trans and the AC was removed on the second or third engine swap; I have all the pieces to put it back in though. I know there's things I'm going to be trying to locate for the car...one of which is the Muncie 4 speed...but I'd need everything from trans to pedals to harness. I know a lot of people would rather the Getrag 282 5 speed, but I had a blue on blue 1987 Z24 in high school with the 4 speed and absolutely loved it. When I swap the trans, I'll probably just put a 3800 series 2 in it as well...then turbo it later down the road...because why not?
Monday, April 20, 2015 9:19 AM
"I'll probably just put a 3800 series 2 in it as well...then turbo it later down the road...because why not?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwrIDJghl9g =

Monday, April 20, 2015 10:25 AM
Orlen Brown wrote:"I'll probably just put a 3800 series 2 in it as well...then turbo it later down the road...because why not?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwrIDJghl9g =

Same idea, but no SC...I've grown to love turbo 3800 after building one and driving it.
Monday, April 20, 2015 11:00 AM
Really nice "Cheery Bomb" Don't see many red ones like this nowadays.

I see you had the fortune/wisdom to stock up on Z - Spares while these were still available! Smart Move!!

Just curious regarding the fiber glass Z hoods. Over the years I've seen Z-24 with and without them. Since the 1st Gen Z24 was only sold during '86 and '87 was that hood a separate option or only available during 1987?

What difference is there between the blown and charged 3.8? I'm always trying to learn a little somethin' ....Hahaa!

Monday, April 20, 2015 11:35 AM
Orlen Brown wrote:Really nice "Cheery Bomb" Don't see many red ones like this nowadays.

I see you had the fortune/wisdom to stock up on Z - Spares while these were still available! Smart Move!!

Just curious regarding the fiber glass Z hoods. Over the years I've seen Z-24 with and without them. Since the 1st Gen Z24 was only sold during '86 and '87 was that hood a separate option or only available during 1987?

What difference is there between the blown and charged 3.8? I'm always trying to learn a little somethin' ....Hahaa!

My mom called her "Cherry" so my dad hand painted the little "Cherry Bomb" things just for the car. The spare parts I have had been acquired during our search for engines for this car...at one point we had 4 we were stripping down. Unfortunately, they're impossible to find anymore.

The 1986 had the flat hood; in 1987 they had the fiberglass cowl look hood...and I want one. LOL

As far the differences between the 3800 engine...the NA L36 engine was what they put in just about everything; 9.4:1 compression and fuel efficient. The SC engine L67 had the incredibly inefficient supercharger, 8.5:1 compression but was still pretty economical because both engines utilized the same cam and valvetrain. Aftermarket turbo kits have been produced for the engines, and because turbos are more efficient, the engine actually gets better fuel economy and driveability. The SC gave the engine too much bottom end in my opinion. The 3800 was already torquey enough NA, so having the turbo spool in the lower mid range of the RPM actually was a better solution as it helps where the engine really needed it most.
Monday, April 20, 2015 10:03 PM
Jason I have to correct you on 1 point.The fiberglass hood was offered in 1986.In fact in my link showing parts it is the first post I made and I did verify the door tag and vin when I stripped all I could off the car.Idk if they were offered in later yr productions or from the get however mines def a 86 and keeping it for the possibilities someday.

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 3:56 AM
Ron Love wrote:Jason I have to correct you on 1 point.The fiberglass hood was offered in 1986.In fact in my link showing parts it is the first post I made and I did verify the door tag and vin when I stripped all I could off the car.Idk if they were offered in later yr productions or from the get however mines def a 86 and keeping it for the possibilities someday.

I love learning new things. I have never seen a fiberglass hood come factory on a 1986. Thanks for the new knowledge.
Tuesday, April 21, 2015 4:42 AM
Just out of curiosity, how do you know that hood wasn't from an 87 that someone put on the 86 you found?

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 5:26 AM
Ron Love wrote:Jason I have to correct you on 1 point.The fiberglass hood was offered in 1986.In fact in my link showing parts it is the first post I made and I did verify the door tag and vin when I stripped all I could off the car.Idk if they were offered in later yr productions or from the get however mines def a 86 and keeping it for the possibilities someday.

Also, what junkyards are you hitting up that have 1st gen J-body parts? You aren't far enough away for me not to be able to find them. LOL
Tuesday, April 21, 2015 9:14 AM
I think Jason might be on to something. I have an original sales brochure from 1986 ( yeah I know it really qualifies me as a NUT....Hahaa). But out of curiosity I took a look and the photo in it for the Z24 in 1986 does show an steel hood. Maybe we will find out more in due time. I'd love to see an sales brochure for 1987. I Love little tidbits like these!

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 9:29 AM
Orlen Brown wrote:I think Jason might be on to something. I have an original sales brochure from 1986 ( yeah I know it really qualifies me as a NUT....Hahaa). But out of curiosity I took a look and the photo in it for the Z24 in 1986 does show an steel hood. Maybe we will find out more in due time. I'd love to see an sales brochure for 1987. I Love little tidbits like these!

I like to learn as much as possible about what I'm dealing with. If I'm wrong, then I learned something new. If I'm right, then someone else learned something. Nothing wrong with that.
Tuesday, April 21, 2015 7:10 PM
Very fortunate to find a photo out of an '87 sales brochure on the web. For 1987 - you guessed it - here is the fiberglass hood shown. Perhaps Ron's hood could have been a late '86 or as earlier mentioned - swap.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search