Simple easy brake job tip. - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Simple easy brake job tip.
Sunday, May 03, 2015 7:59 PM
Cooked this idea up while thinking over an up-coming brake job where the wheel cylinder was going out. It worked really really well. It was so successful that for the 1st time I have replaced a wheel cylinder and didn't even need to bleed the brakes afterwards! Simply pick up a pack of vacuum plugs - they cost next to nothing. I used one of these over the brake line after disconnecting from the wheel cylinder. Presto - no leakage. Most FWD GM's require removing the hub to gain access to the wheel cylinder - of course the backing plate comes right along with that so you are forced to disconnect the brake line early in the break down - loosing all of the fluid in the process. Now you can work away with out having brake fluid pour all over everything during the process. Hope this helps!

Re: Simple easy brake job tip.
Tuesday, May 05, 2015 6:31 PM
Great tip Orlen!

I am sure my way was more expensive... I have the brass sleeves and plugs that screw right up on the brake hard lines. It cost a few bucks to make a few years ago, but it works! And like you said, it does not bleed out while you are working.

Wednesday, May 06, 2015 3:28 AM
This made such a difference. The job was such an enjoyable one this time around. This happened to be the daughters 94 Skylark, but ironically Tammy's 98 Cavalier has the same problem at the same wheel starting too. Whoever put these shoes on before didn't know about leading and trailing Paul, because both leading shoes were on one side and the trailing shoes were on the other. Always remember folks to place the shoe with the LONGER surface on it to the REAR of the car

Wednesday, May 06, 2015 4:13 PM
nice tip on the brake line orlen. i was thinking of starting a new thread on cool tools and garage tips where we cuold all share our favorite tools, products and tricks to make whatever job easier. mabe when i get a little more time. and by the way you can NEVER assume the the parts on your cars wre put on correcttly or even the right parts. i had a car once that i could never get the water punp belt to stop squeeling no matter how i adjusted the tension. i finally realized that the previuos owner put the pulley on backwards. it was a very small differance in alignment but just enough to cause problems and very hard to notice unless you really looked close.
Wednesday, May 06, 2015 4:41 PM
This is what I use. Has two clamps for radiator hoses. Then 4 different ones for metal lines. Just clamp it on and no leaks.
Attachments
image.jpg (21k)

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search