How tough is a J-Body? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How tough is a J-Body?
Tuesday, May 26, 2015 1:29 PM
Saw this online at the local yard as a new arrival - what a mess!

Never seen a J rear ended so badly - but I think it proves how tough these cars really are. Anyone care to go through this in a Pinto?

Re: How tough is a J-Body?
Tuesday, May 26, 2015 2:03 PM
2 winters ago i just fixed an alternator issue with my 84 skyhawk. I got a little excited and went too fast down the hill by my house and crashed into a rock wall head on. All that crash did was scuff up my bumper and dent my passenger side fender a little.
Wednesday, May 27, 2015 6:17 AM
Hope there wasn't any passengers in the back seat.

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 7:40 AM
That is one thing that actually concerns me in regards to my Cavalier. I'm not of the opinion that these cars are the safest to drive in - especially the first gens who were built prior to the time that crash tests were routinely used as a tool in designing these cars. I honestly discourage my wife and daughter from driving my wagon and I only really use it to transport myself back and forth to work. No airbags, no engineered crush zones, no ABS.
Don't get me wrong, I really love my car (mainly due to it's oddity, utility, economy and ease & low price of repair). but "safe" is one word I wouldn't use to describe these cars.
I kind of look at driving my wagon in the same light that I do riding my motorcycle - I know it isn't the safest thing to do, but the pleasure of the ride itself kind of offsets the inherent danger involved in doing it....!

~ Mike ~

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 8:51 AM
I was impressed of the lack of fire in this example. Also if you look at some of these new bodystyles out now there surely isn't the rear end crumple zone that the old traditional Sedans used to have. I'd hate to see this example take a wallop like the 3rd Gen above even if it is a newer "safer" car.

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 11:30 AM
LOL !
Cars like that one Orlen should come with handles all around it for the pallbearers if you happen to get into a tangle in that car ..!
I know that our cars are small-ish, but there is no way I would consider (or let a loved one) buy anything like a Prius, Smart Car, Aveo or the like - they're just too small to be safe...!

~ Mike ~

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 2:36 PM
"anything like a Prius, Smart Car, Aveo or the like"

You may want to rethink that statement.

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 8:32 PM
This is my real deal opinion.I know our 1st gens do lack in some safety features as mike said,however our cars are really heavy and are more true in real metal that just crumples in a bump up and you absorb the hit.Now my list of today's true fails in real safety as far as brands that make cars that are smaller as in cramped.The list is not short ford,chevy,hyundia,suzuki,toyota,nissan,mitsubishi,smart car,kia,.All of these manufacture's make cars that are mega small and even though they have crumple zones,air bags and all the other BS these can be crushed by a bigger vehicle and or a fixed hit object and the car might live however the occupants will (NOT).MPG my a-- these cramped pieces of sh-- are a joke and the these are made to balance out the mpg factor over the bigger vehicles for our super great idiot EPA hand in the mix.My only suggestion to those who buy these cookie cutter small mpg trend cars is go to youtube and watch the crash test video's and see how well the results show.On 1 example the fiat -POP yes the cars name or 500 the freaking door came OFF in a front offset crash test(you think this is a problem)? In short I just Hate all these small stupid flashy little cars that are cute,with flashy trash or oooh that is neat crap as let a full size pickup hit it and it will be toast.Plastic trash is what I call them and the youtube with the crash test should make a good sounded person RE-think buying this aluminum can trash that is not remotely safe.Rant sort of but,I just despise these cheap unsafe mpg minded piles over a decent midsize car that is not too far off in mpg and much safer.As a truck driver I have seen my collection of torn up rides and some do ok some not.

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 8:57 PM
This only goes to prove my point and these doughnut cars are very unsafe.

Thursday, May 28, 2015 6:48 AM
John M wrote:"anything like a Prius, Smart Car, Aveo or the like"

You may want to rethink that statement.

Nothing to rethink - just because they make Police cars out of them in Europe, doesn't mean that they are safe.
It's a matter of physics: Small in size = less material and space to absorb the energy exerted by blunt force.
You can make a small car out of the strongest material available made on the planet - unless it has the capability to absorb and diminish force, it cannot effectively protect you.
Back in the 80s when I was a paramedic, I saw people killed in the back seat of cars by being unrestrained and sliding from one side of the seat to the other and striking the door with force.

~ Mike ~

Thursday, May 28, 2015 6:51 PM
Orlen is right. How that thing did not burst into flames seems to impress me more than anything. My H.S. buddies Mercury Bobcat never would have survived that hard of a hit.

Friday, May 29, 2015 12:09 PM
84conv wrote:Orlen is right. How that thing did not burst into flames seems to impress me more than anything. My H.S. buddies Mercury Bobcat never would have survived that hard of a hit.

It's puzzling to me how the fuel tank survived....
Wonder if the straps broke and the tank was shoved under the car.....or maybe the tank was empty ~ or removed?

~ Mike ~

Friday, May 29, 2015 8:28 PM
I do believe on the 3rd gens the fuel tank is under the back seat and made of plastic.It could be in a hypothetical thought the plastic tank cracked or smushed in.Unlike our cars the tanks are metal and I do believe the same location.I would think the plastic would have more absorbtion from a hard blow versus metal.Now granted I am no engineer or know it all,just my.OR maybe the tank was low enough to miss the hard hit,however that car got smacked some kind of stupid.Good for the peeps in the car with back pain,neck pain and or drama central from this.

Saturday, May 30, 2015 6:20 AM
If I get a chance later this summer when it comes in the yard I'll try to go and shot a few personal photos of it. Some months they have a 1/2 price sale and I am planning on taking a vacation day and getting as much stuff on that day as I can afford to and have time for. On those days I can score an engine for $100 including the core charge. At least that is the plan - it might be raining cats and dogs on those days....who knows?

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 6:19 PM
Well as promised when this car popped up in the local yard I did stop by to take a few photos. The later 3rd gens came with a plastic fuel tank and this one has one. This may have helped prevent a fractured tank and fire from such a horrific rear end collision. Also of note was some severe rust out which surprisingly didn't seem to affect the structural integrity! The yard couldn't support the car on the rear because of the severe damage and actually place the support on that plastic tank - which is holding up the rear just fine. Incidentally..... I picked the rotors and front pads off this very machine for use on my 3rd gens at home!

Check out that Bowtie! Still loud and proud....How neat is that!!

This is the wheel well

There is the tank

Strong J-Body Rust!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search