Stoplight Conversation - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Stoplight Conversation
Sunday, June 07, 2015 8:42 AM
So I had the bird out yesterday and I am at a stoplight. I hear two 20-something guys in the car two lanes over talking... "My Dad has a MUSTANG like that, you don't see them on the road too often." I did not yell over to correct them, but I would figure if your Dad had one, you would know what you were looking at...

Do your cars often get confused for Mustangs, LeBarons, or anything else?

Re: Stoplight Conversation
Sunday, June 07, 2015 9:21 AM
That's funny. I think what happens is that generation is so used to seeing the generic egg-shaped cars of today that just about anything with CRISP lines looks the same to them (like the egg cars look to us), hence, the confusion.

The closest I ever came to that was the Skyhawk I owned in college. I parked it at my elderly aunt's home during the summer in Seattle, and she told her daughter: "He has a nice little car. It's called a Seahawk."
Sunday, June 07, 2015 10:12 AM
Hugh, that is funny - that TOTALLY sounds like something my Grandmother would say, down to the way she would say it.
Good Stuff!

Sunday, June 07, 2015 1:21 PM
So few people even know what a SkyHawk is, so I get a lot of weird looks when I'm out and about with it.

From the looks I get of the younger generation, I'd have to say they see so few 80s F bodies running around these days, they really don't know them on sight. Often the look I get as I approach changes fast to a WTF?? I really think many of them think they see a Camaro coming until I get close and they just don't know what to make of it or think it's some rare version of a Camaro.
Sunday, June 07, 2015 2:20 PM
Yeah - the quad headlamp look of the Camaro and Skyhawk probably throws them.
Sunday, June 07, 2015 5:53 PM
Yep - I usually have my foglights on and people are like "what the heck is that?"

Sunday, June 07, 2015 9:14 PM
Well my car has been seen covered in the shop and 2 different people said is that a Camaro? I was like (umm no) it is more like a cavalier! I guess the early years the body was smaller and the cavalier seems to share kind of similarity at least from a car cover hiding the real body lines.I just roll the cover back and there like wow.Fools them and my car is up on jackstands too for clearance and keep the tires off the concrete (no flat spotting).I will this week pull the cav out as I am way behind on my schedule of things to do on it like months ago.Last week was a rain delay as I said sunny is allergic to dirty water.It rained thur,and fri and kept me from yanking it out for my inspection.

Sunday, June 07, 2015 9:28 PM
I found this just minutes after logging out doodling for junkyard cavalier pictures.I had No idea this was made as a hot wheels or custom small scale .This just Kicks a-- I would buy one as I am a matchbox hotwheels collector and have all mine to this day!!!!! COOOOOOL this is.

Monday, June 08, 2015 6:35 AM
Ron Love wrote: I found this just minutes after logging out doodling for junkyard cavalier pictures.I had No idea this was made as a hot wheels or custom small scale .This just Kicks a-- I would buy one as I am a matchbox hotwheels collector and have all mine to this day!!!!! COOOOOOL this is.

I used to have one of them when I was a kid, god knows what happened to it though . I used to bury some of those Hotwheels, Matchbox, Majorette & knockoff brand name cars in the dirt @ my grandparents house, mainly the knockoff brand name ones. I wouldn't doubt the ones that bought their house are still digging up some of my toys .

Here's the Hot Wheels Wiki page about it http://hotwheels.wikia.com/wiki/Pontiac_J-2000 Mexican market ones are worth $160-200 today.

Monday, June 08, 2015 6:37 AM
It happened to me before the repaint twice, or just "What kind of car is that?" Since the repaint I get a lot of "I've never seen one of those!" Then a couple of months ago an older guy at a light with the top down said "Man, is that like the last surviving Sunbird?" That was funny...

Monday, June 08, 2015 2:57 PM
Along those lines: What does it mean when a car comes up next to you on the highway - I was in the slower lane - and rides side-by-side with you for awhile? I know he wasn't mad at me. This has happened a few times and I just never looked over. Finally, the SECOND time it happened TODAY, the guy was just stuck to my side so I finally looked over and he smiled and gave me a thumbs up. I thought, oh - I thought they were wanting to race or something.

So generally it's a thumbs up? I SHOULD look over?

Monday, June 08, 2015 10:02 PM
Hugh it is probably someone who remembers the car and can appreciate it and rides along just looking it over in all aspects.I have on occasion popped my horn on cool rides I see or the A OK thing showing some I like your wheels attitude.I know sometime's the side by side thing can be annoying if the other car is just glued to you and doing nothing but,(I wish they would move along already thoughts).

Tuesday, June 09, 2015 12:56 PM
Shortly after I bought my wagon, I was at a gas station when a young man came up to me and asked me what I was driving.
I pointed at the front fender and said: "It's a Chevy Cavalier!" He looked at me and said: "I have a Cavalier........that isn't a Cavalier!!!"
LOL, kids......

~ Mike ~

Tuesday, June 09, 2015 1:02 PM
~ Mike ~ wrote:Shortly after I bought my wagon, I was at a gas station when a young man came up to me and asked me what I was driving.
I pointed at the front fender and said: "It's a Chevy Cavalier!" He looked at me and said: "I have a Cavalier........that isn't a Cavalier!!!"
LOL, kids......

you're right, kid, I'm lying...truth is, I don't like to show off and tell people I drive a Corvette.
Tuesday, June 09, 2015 3:29 PM
Drove my blue vert into Sears last summer to get a lifetime front end alignment. Tech that worked on it talked me when I went to get the car. He told me that HE wanted to work on car because he was just starting out back in the mid eighties and used to work on j-bodies all the time. Said he had a few 1st gens back then and loved them. His favorite was an 87 Z24 hatch. Great to see that as the years go by these cars are starting to get noticed.

Tuesday, June 09, 2015 4:38 PM
My ph1 2nd gen I was always told I had a nice mustang so I wrote on the windows mustang eater. The exhaust was loud and rumbled so that didn't help distinguish it much.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Tuesday, June 09, 2015 4:44 PM
example here.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Tuesday, June 09, 2015 8:27 PM
That's funny Paul, I run my fog lights on all the time too! I just like them.

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 6:10 AM
I wish I had a dime for every time someone tells me: "If you ever want to get rid of that, let me know" or I get a "thumbs-up" from someone at a red light.
Cars the vintage of my wagon in the northeast US are such a rarity, I guess now they've become a novelty for folks !
I plan on buying a new pickup truck next year and my wife asked me if I was going to get rid of my wagon at that time.
I honestly had a shiver of fear come over me at the thought of that, LOL !!!
I told her that my daughter will have to figure out what to do with it after I'm dead and gone...!

~ Mike ~

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 5:36 PM
I think I've confused Mustangs for Cavaliers before. The Mustangs from that era do look a little similar to J-bodies from the side; side mirrors, door handles, and the top front of the doors especially.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search