1.8/2.0 OHV water inlet - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1.8/2.0 OHV water inlet
Thursday, June 11, 2015 12:00 AM
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I came here because I have a 2.2L S10 and am wanting to gain some knowledge about the water inlets on the older engines. Aren't much of these in the junkyards near me so I thought I might ask. I know this part of the block remained unchanged through the engine's lifespan, so I've been looking to see if the older inlet would work better for what I am going for. If anyone has any pictures or could lead me in the direction of more information I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Re: 1.8/2.0 OHV water inlet
Thursday, June 11, 2015 7:32 AM
Welcome aboard Jeremy!

Hope we can be of help.

Here is the thermostat housing location on an '86 Cavalier 2.0. The head has an extension housing coming off the rear that houses the coolant sensors and T-stat .

Thursday, June 11, 2015 8:25 PM
Not sure what info your wanting so I will ramble a bit.The Jbody offered the 2.2 in the 1990 models and up.I honestly have no clue if the general design is different in your S10 over the J as they may have some variation is possible.I might add one question what is the year model of your truck.I could do some simple research to compare your truck to a like year jbody to see if they are the same by the obvious appearance,part # as you could do the same really.However the part # could differ say on a 90 cav/90 s10 as this would be different maybe as parts may do this to keep it specific to each vehicle.I will say yes gm kept things similar from year to year and I will give one example.Last year needed a fuel sending unit,for my 85 well there no longer made?Umm wrong I after lots of checking found the 1986 fuel sender is identical and while the general appearance of the float was different(times change so do the parts) and the wiring color was updated.The short is pretty much all 82-85 jbody stuff share the exact fuel tank,same ohm reading for the gauge,and I had only to add wiring for the harness to reach the original factory plug.Done and hope this shed some general ideas of how gm changes,and parts no longer offered are not always the case in a year specific ride as they just changed the part # and general design but is adaptable.Is that technical enough.If your needing this part I am sure it is out there just maybe on a newer model with the same specs.Ok

Friday, June 12, 2015 12:46 AM
Thanks for the welcome. The part in the picture is the water outlet. The inlet should be attached to the block at the back of the water pump, just under your alternator. Lower hose and the return heater hose should be going into it.

I've looked at Cavaliers and Sunfires the same vintage as my truck, but they have a crazy mess of steel piping running everywhere. I was just trying to get an idea of how the older ones were set up.

My truck is a 2001 with the L43 flex fuel engine. Best picture I have of what I'm talking about, in front of the exhaust manifold and in back of the water pump with the two hoses coming out.

Thanks for the replies.
Friday, June 12, 2015 4:40 AM
Wanna talk about part numbers changing...take a look at a 1985 owners manual to see what AC Delco oil filter to use...that number doesn't exist today, and hasn't for many years.
Friday, June 12, 2015 2:17 PM
1984-86 2.0L

2000-02 Trucks (block is the same as all 98+ 2.2L engines, head has flat spots machined for the air injection manifold.)

The blocks haven't changed all that much over the years. The only change to the water pump was in 1987 and the length of the shaft was the only thing that changed. I guess to accommodate a serpentine belt pulley.
Sunday, June 14, 2015 8:10 PM
Ok Jeremy. This took some bit of work. The FWD layout makes for some absolutely awful photos of the water inlet. Even with the exhaust manifold and alternator moved out of the way it doesn't do much even in broad daylight. Dunno when I'll ever get my car back together though. Hahaa.....just kidding. This was taken of an '86 Sedan I vultured parts off of Saturday. One finally came through the pipeline here and Saturday was 1/2 price day. Needless to say I got my money's worth....

My God this thing is almost as bad as a starter on a Brazil/Automatic

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 11:44 PM
Hey, thanks for the pictures!

It figures that I see them right after I finally find two(!) 1985 Cavaliers in one of the local junkyards. 1 two door, 1 4 door, both autotragics, power steering/brakes/AC. I think both still had the original stereos. I also found an '80s S10 with manual steering and no A/C or dash vents! I forgot whether it had manual brakes or not. First of those I've seen as well.

Anyway, after moving the alternator over and and the AC lines out of the way, I was able to get the sucker off. I still haven't been able to get the threaded barb out though. Might have to put it in a vise.
Here's comparison between it and the S10 inlet.

I really like the orientation of the heater hose port, and the fact that it is threaded 1/2" NPT. I want to run a pipe up to the valve cover, where it will run parallel with the other heater pipe to the rear of the engine.

The downside(?) is that the lower hose is quite a bit bigger, but I haven't decided what tank I'm going to use on the driver's side of the radiator (the plan is to recess it into the support, and maybe run a pressurized overflow tank so I won't need to cut a slot out for a radiator cap... still researching this.)

Thanks for all of your help guys.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search