Just bought a mint 87 RS Convertible - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Just bought a mint 87 RS Convertible
Wednesday, April 22, 2015 10:06 PM
Hello, new guy from Winston-Salem, NC here ...

Been mainly dealing with X-body cars for the longest time... https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/chevycitationsforever/info

Member name: ho81x11

But just bought my first J-body~!!!

87 Chevy Cavalier RS Convertible - White w/ Blue top/interior

102,300 miles, 2.8MPFI V6 - auto tranny, power brakes, steering, windows, locks, trunk release, top, digital Dash, intermittent wipers, AM/FM stereo cassette, Custom cloth interior, console,

Everything works!! Been garaged kept all its life!! Only has 3 tiny little dings on outside, white paint shines brilliantly, Interior looks factory fresh! Paperwork shows that its only been driven 930 miles in past 5 years.

About 95% original ... had new alternator, tires, MAF sensor, serp belt, hoses and battery put on recently, tailpipe and muffler done sometime in past. No mention of any A/C work, but it blows nice and cold!

Top in is nice condition, NO rips, or tears ... but rear window is a bit oxidized and cloudy. Bought some PlastX or something to bring the shine and clearness back. Still has original factory floor mats and factory conv. top cover.

Bought from a sweet old lady who only drive it on Sundays.

NO, SERIOUSLY!! bought from Original Owner... dear sweet old lady named Peggy. Mother-in-law of one of my co-workers. She drove it to work on day back in '99 or something. I asked her where she got that car ... she said hers was being serviced and her M-in-L let her drive hers into work. Told co-worker that whenever her M-in-L decided to sell to let me have first dibs. She always drove it with towels over the seats, so they really show almost NO wear!

Well I got notified a few weeks ago... just now getting around to getting pics uploaded.

Had to have windshield re-glued, and new tailpipe and muffler installed...old one way hanging down a little and looked a little twisted out of line... (not being driven much in last few years just didn't get inside of pipes dried out - muffler guy said it rotted from inside out. I've put about 300 miles on it since i got it.

I will have a keyless entry/alarm system installed, obviously, but will probably keep the rest of it as is. Makes for a good showcar!! IF I do do anything to it it would be replacing the tranny with the 440-T4 4-speed auto so that at highway speeds it would only turn 2600 rpms instead of 3500 at 70 mph. (same scenario that I had in the 85 X-11 when I first got it.)

http://s181.photobucket.com/user/dangrus4060/slideshow/87%20Cavalier%20RS%20Convertible

Check it out!!! Let me know what you think!

Terry
ho81x11

87 RS Convertible - 2.8V6 - 3-Speed Auto, Digital Dash - Complete LED / HID Conversion - Alarm/Keyless Entry

Re: Just bought a mint 87 RS Convertible
Thursday, April 23, 2015 5:41 AM
Very clean car, Terry. Congrats on the nice score!
Thursday, April 23, 2015 5:48 AM
great looking car! welcome to the site. i never heard of anyone collecting citations. finding parts for those must be even harder than hunting down j-body parts. i have an 86rs that i am refreshing right now. i know what you mean by the high rpms at cruising speeds. that tranny swap sounds like a good option i will have to consider. im sure it would help with the mpg, mine barely gets 20mpg. let me know what yours get or any other issues you come a across. not many with the 2.8 post here, most have the 1.8 or 2.0
Thursday, April 23, 2015 5:54 AM
john galt wrote:great looking car! welcome to the site. i never heard of anyone collecting citations. finding parts for those must be even harder than hunting down j-body parts. i have an 86rs that i am refreshing right now. i know what you mean by the high rpms at cruising speeds. that tranny swap sounds like a good option i will have to consider. im sure it would help with the mpg, mine barely gets 20mpg. let me know what yours get or any other issues you come a across. not many with the 2.8 post here, most have the 1.8 or 2.0

The reason mine sat for a decade was because of MPG's and no A/C. My mom would've loved to get 20mpg with mine...instead it was around 15-16mpg. Probably my fault though with the Holley Performance parts, TH125 w/o lockup torque convertor, and the JET PROM. Whoops. LOL
Thursday, April 23, 2015 6:16 AM
amazing find!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Js
Thursday, April 23, 2015 6:41 AM
Wow nice score. Nobody's done that auto tranny swap so if you do it, do a write up on it. Others have done the 3spd auto tranny to 5spd stick swap as it's easier. One guy here also swapped lower gears into his 3spd auto, you will have to do a search of this section though as I forgot his name, that might be another easier option for you.

Thursday, April 23, 2015 6:55 AM
nice find man.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, April 23, 2015 7:23 AM
Welcome Aboard!!

Excellent Find Terry - thanks for sharing! Wonderful photos!!

Super Clean - White shows up that rust worse than any other color and this example is white in all those places that it usually rust will creep up into. Wishing you many miles of smiles and suntan!!

I always thought the x-body hatchback reminded me of a super-sized Chevette...LoL. It is great knowing there are folks collecting and keeping these cars as well - GM sold a boatload of them when they came out. They represented domestics first line of (back then) modern cars along with the Omni/K-cars. Hope to see some photos of them as well Terry - do share !!

Thursday, April 23, 2015 7:35 AM
Nice score there Terry!
Glad you posted some great pictures so we can all see what a nice car that is. I am just happy to see another well preserved 1st gen and someone like you who can appreciate it.
Had an 83 Phoenix back in 84 for a company car and it was a pretty comfortable car with a real nice plush brown velour interior.

Love the 1st gen verts.

Thursday, April 23, 2015 9:18 PM
See Terry I told you these guy's would love your car!!! Now once I have some free time maybe we can meet up and do starbucks or a lunch or something being I am the closest member here to you.You have gem and I can appreciate that as the group here does.Just to explain something I check the newbies section while on the forums and found his post a couple of days ago and wanted him to show boat his car with his own post.Our group seems to grow with older cars and that is very cool.

Friday, April 24, 2015 5:26 PM
Terry-

Welcome. You will be happy to know the J and X body cars shared at least one component...

The manual transmissions on the turbo 1.8 cars is a carry over from the X cars, including the neutral safety switch setup.

I had a university roommate who had a Citation X-11. I loved that car...

Friday, May 08, 2015 12:07 AM
http://www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com/forum/ucp.php?i=pm&mode=view&p=78544

not sure if you can get thru the link, but i got nominated for Other Car of the Month on the Pontiac Bonneville Forum.... AND WON!! LOL

anyway ... also just took a new pic yesterday with the top boot installed:

Thanks for all the comments!!!

Terry
ho81x11

87 RS Convertible - 2.8V6 - 3-Speed Auto, Digital Dash - Complete LED / HID Conversion - Alarm/Keyless Entry
Friday, May 08, 2015 8:34 PM
Sweet and the car just rules in the awesome dept.

Saturday, May 09, 2015 3:38 AM
Simply........ - MINT!!

Thanks for sharing with all of us - one Vert you sure can be very proud of!

Small Update - Re: Just bought a mint 87 RS Convertible
Sunday, July 12, 2015 10:02 AM
Small Update:

Did a junkyard run yesterday ... SCORED!!!

Found a 91 Sunbird SE coupe with a front strut tower brace. Why did these not come standard on all Verts?? You would think its needed for more rigidity.

Was a little dirty and grimey, but cleaned it and painted it right up with Krylon Satin Black...

Bought my Alarm/Keyless Entry/Remote Start the other day... next project to install.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002P4P1G2/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Got another small project I'm working on at the moment... details later if i get it all worked out. and no, its not the 440-T4 conversion.....still working on the feasibility.

Comments welcome.

Re: Small Update - Re: Just bought a mint 87 RS Convertible
Sunday, July 12, 2015 12:12 PM
Sweet, wish my 87 RS vert was that clean... but then again if it was they would have added another pesky digit to the total... dam digits... THERE'S TOO MANY, PEOPLE!!!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search