Latest stuff I've done. - Page 2 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Latest stuff I've done.
Monday, July 13, 2015 4:35 PM
Hey guys! Here's what I got going. A month ago my brother and I bought a 89 Cavalier Z24 that had been sitting for 9 years.. We bought it for $600 (probably to much but I did hear it run) and 2 days ago I bought a 83 cavalier I had been eye balling for a while for $300. The 89 had 5 bad fuel injectors and a bad fuel pump. and the 83 had just been sitting for 6 months. The 83 runs great and new 13in tires! I was planning on using it for as a parts car for my 84 that now desperately needs work.. I now drive the 89 as a daily and I can tell you the standard transmission really brings out the 2.8l engine lol. I am pretty sure If my brother and I keep bringing cars into the yard our mom is going to throw us out lol. Between the two of us we have 9 cars in the yard and then our dad is just as bad xD He's got 12 more laying around.

I pulled the wheels off my 87 cavalier. I like the older style z24 wheels.

Sadly the cover on the air intake is broken. First time I ever find one and its broke

1984 Cavalier a year ago.

Now

I should stop buying up cavaliers and be like my brother and redo a Triumph lol.

Monday, July 13, 2015 4:58 PM
Tomorrow will be my last year as a teenager (19th birthday) and yall all know how teenagers drive.. Here's a idea of what the z24 can do. By the way if yall care to know. Max speed on gears. 1st gear 33mph 2nd gear 51mph 3rd gear 75mph 4th gear 90mph 5th Ive had it up to 118mph. Now I do drive the 89 like your suppose to because even though gas is $2.50 a gallon it still aint free and I don't feel like putting a engine in every cavalier I own lol.

http://s1154.photobucket.com/user/no1matthew/media/IMG_2203.mp4.html

Monday, July 13, 2015 10:31 PM
I am wayyy tired to get long winded.I do believe your running a secret jbody junkyard.Not that is really secret now.That green top has me puzzled.Short as I am running out of go power.13hr day and 532 miles just kicks my rear.

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 9:56 AM
I'd stick with the Cavs and stay FAR away from the Triumph, cute as it is...

So rare to see an "original face" Cav....
Tuesday, July 14, 2015 5:43 PM
Nice collection! I'd have more than three Cavaliers, two Mustangs, a Saturn, a Corolla and a Chrysler Town and Country if I had more room (Sold my F150 last winter).

Great pictures!

Friday, July 17, 2015 11:47 AM
I should be shot for what I am about to tell yall.... When I bought my 87 cavalier last year I pretty much let the 84 go.. I stacked alot of tools in the seats and car parts and all kinds of junk. It got stupid and I wish I got before pictures of how bad it was. I had the top down for a year... I did have a tarp over it but it rotted away in like 2-3 months so all through last fall and this spring it sat open.. The entire back seat and floorboard was full of leaves and nests... It was stupid dirty and spiders every damn where.. I feel sick knowing I let it get that bad It did sit under a carport but the wind doesn't care. Anyways I spend most of last night (cool during the nights) cleaning out the car and made it look okay again. My driver seat and the top of the back seat is now officially shot. I'm going to stop screwing around and just fix the 84 now. I have been slowly dealing with it for 4 years now and I am tired of watching it rot away because I'm not driving it. Somewhere around a year ago it started a slight knock on the bottom end so I am going to take the engine and transmission out of the 83 and clean it up and throw it into the 84. The 83 only has 120,000 miles on it lol. Anyways I am on a lookout for some seats and the a factory radio lol. A front spoiler for the front would go a long ways right now.. The two I had got shoved into a shed and damaged.

Ha you can see where I haven't got done installing the carpet. I still have the trim pieces in the trunk.

Friday, July 17, 2015 12:17 PM
Hey John a few years ago when you had that blue sedan about how difficult was it to pull the engine from the top? I have always done mine coming out the bottom. The reason why I ask is I would like to still be able to roll the car around lol.

Friday, July 17, 2015 9:43 PM
Matthew remove engine from the TOP it is much easier!!! I have yanked one and with the hood straight up and all the obvious stuff removed it will pull right out with ease.Removing the subframe is a real b----h plus not necessary to remove the engine.You might want to pull the engine 1st and simply leave the transmission in place until you get the engine out.If your going to reuse the trans leave it be.Other wise do that last.I have yanked a trans 1st but requires a touch more time unbolting,removing the axles and dropping loose the subframe on the driver side on recall( it has been a while) but just do a good visual prior to taking anything out.I can't remember every step but,I do think I removed the subframe for more room as the engine was in place.Btw I did go back and get the engine a week later and cake as the trans was out,and I saved the entire engine wiring harness.

Monday, July 20, 2015 2:32 PM
Alright Friday night I started to pull the engine in the 84. Ron you are right! The engine comes out ALOT easier from the top. The hood is damaged so I went ahead and pulled the hood. Its been raining here since Saturday morning so I have yet had a chance to pull the engine out of the car. Everything is unhooked and all I have to do now is unbolt the engine mounts and shes out! it'll probably be this weekend before I can do anything to the car because I like working during the night and having work during the day does not allowed me to stay up all night.

Got her pulled up and cleaned up

No dirty bolts!

Monday, July 20, 2015 6:55 PM
Matthew, Sorry I missed your post earlier. Like Ron said I pulled both of my motors from the top and it was not all that hard. I think I just pushed hood all the way up on the sedan and removed the hood on the vert just to be safe. I have pulled motors in the past they were all on rear wheel drive.

Monday, July 20, 2015 9:47 PM
Looks like fun in degree's of course.My spare engine came from pull a part and I did all the fun stuff using the yards not so easy to move engine hoist.In fact the engine was light enough that I lowered into a wheel barrow and rolled down the building for check out!Yes it was heavy and even the lady at the counter said Umm you got that down here like that?I said yeah but a fork lift lifted and lowered into my truck bed.The adventure's of junkyarding is get the most out of your time and yeah removing the entire engine wiring harness for a spare was a tedious job,but it is intact and has All the connector's.

Friday, July 24, 2015 7:45 PM
I pulled the ball joints and pulled the cv axles. Engine came out in 5 minutes lol.

Sunday, August 02, 2015 10:26 AM
Yesterday my brother and I drove to Gainsville Ga to pick up that 89 Pontiac I saw on craigslist. 180 Miles from my house lol. Anyways the kid that owned it got into a head on collision 6 months ago and has let the car sit since. I was told it needed a tune up.. I didn't get out of the driveway I blew the fuse to the cluster.. For the first 100 miles I didn't have a speedo or anything because it would blow the fuse as soon as you put the car into drive.. After a 100 miles it would work for 10 mins. Lol. Anyways when the car is cold it seems to run fine but as it warms up it starts a small skip and seems to drag when you get into it. It would try to run hot after 30 miles too. I wonder if the timing is out a bit? But anyways the car was only 350 and maybe another 100 after you count all the McDonalds/Arbys stops lol. I got a fuel filter and some spark plugs I was planning on putting in today. Most of the tune-up parts have to be ordered at the parts store and takes a week to get here. I think I did alright for 450. Only has 122,000 miles on it and it had a timing belt installing at 88,000 six years ago..

Sunday, August 02, 2015 10:50 AM
Geez - I spent $400 getting the Skyhawk's steel wheels repolished, so I think you got a MAJOR deal there... The wheels alone are worth that!
Sunday, August 02, 2015 9:39 PM
I am tired long 12 hr day so short it is.Nice find and cost to boot.Looks like a nose or front end is needed and a fender plus the front support is probably crushed.I would consider doing new plug wires and check the distributor cap and rotor for any burn marks internally.As for wires DO NOT GO cheap.Either buy napa wires or buy a set of accel wires and cut and crimp your ends and these are 8mm and will last far longer than the store brand junk sold anywhere.I would check the timing after the tune up,then go forward.I will keep a eye out for a front nose for that year as it is specific just looking at it.I am sooo tired.

Monday, August 03, 2015 3:44 AM
So how does one get in a head-on collision with the right side of the car when they aren't driving in England?

Nope, kid hit a pole/tree/mailbox or something.

Great score though, low miles, looking clean overall. I like how the craigslist pictures posted did the best they could do to hide how bad the damage really is.
Monday, August 03, 2015 10:20 AM
That's what I thought - more of an off-set crash and probably into a stationary object.
Tuesday, August 04, 2015 6:56 PM
This car looks familiar.
Sunday, August 09, 2015 12:27 PM
I did it again....... I had a friend of mine call me up the other night saying his alternator went out and he was left on the side of the road.. So I go over there to help him up and come to find out he ran his Kia out of oil..... I managed to get it to crank up and its knocking pretty bad. I drove it to his house for him (2 miles away) and looked it all over. He had a valve cover leak and you can see oil all under the thing. He had no clue he had a oil leak and he just had his oil changed at a "Quick lube" and they didn't tell him he had a oil leak. I ended up offering him $400 dollars right there and he took it. Its a 2006 Kia Sorento LX with only 161,000. Its fairly nice. Mom is pissed off because I brought another "junk" car into the yard lol. $1200 for a used engine with only 97,000 so it might sit for a month or so while I build up some money to get a engine. I plan on keeping this one so I can say I got something modern. The newest car I have is a 89 lol. For those that are wondering. I did not win the lottery or anything. I'm just 19 with a full time job at a paint and body shop still living at home.

Sunday, August 09, 2015 1:08 PM
Another reason not to go to the quick lube places.
Sunday, August 09, 2015 4:44 PM
Matthew wrote:. Mom is pissed off because I brought another "junk" car into the yard I'm just 19 with a full time job at a paint and body shop still living at home.
[quote/]

Dont sweat it Matt, same thing happened to me 40 years ago at 18, I only had my 62 Belair and my former next door nieghbor offered me his 70 Buick GS 455 4speed car with a blown motor. He had another 455 all apart ready to be assembled but my mom said no................. car had $300 special made headers ( they were hard to come by in 1976)
Good luck with your new addition.................. try www.car-part.com for a motor for cheaper.

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Sunday, August 09, 2015 9:07 PM
I will share 2 stories about oil changes.1 is from Honda yes a dealer,2 firestone tire.1 Honda did a oil change on my nephews 98 accord and car came directly to me for another deal.As I am checking things as I do I double check the oil level 4 times.It was at the freaking ADD mark.Took pics of the dipstick and went back and got $40.00 off a alignment which the car needed.2nd sister in laws 10 Honda accord firestone supposedly did a oil change?Ummm I check the oil and it was like a 1/2 qt over full????? I figure ok I will drain off the difference only to see black as tar oil drain out.(at this point you know what happen right).The dumb azzes changed the oil fitler alright but not the oil and topped it off with new oil.Idiots gave a Full refund as I kept a sample of the oil to show what I drained out.In short the ONLY place I trust for a oil change done correctly is by myself.The short is the mother in law trying to be helpful took both cars in to both of the shops only to have me go back and find there plain as day mistakes and I forgot to add the 10 accord came straight from the shop here for me to check the brakes the same day.Freaking IDIOTS.a car is like a # to them where Last check a car is someone's transportation and not a damn # to make $29.99 for a crappy job.Ok rant over just showing it happens a lot.

Monday, August 10, 2015 7:01 AM
Those Kia Sorento's are a piece of @!#$. My wife's aunt had one and after last year of mostly sitting @ the dealer fixing this and that and leaving her stranded several times she junked it and bought a new Chevy Trax.

My oil change story involves a national tire store. Took the Cutlass we had there for a new set of tires and figured get the oil changed too. Now the owners manual said it only holds 4.5 quarts of oil, they put 6+/- quarts in. The next morning I was checking the fluids and topping off the windshield washer fluid and when I pulled the oil dipstick out oil was all the way to the top of the dipstick. I drained about 2 quarts out and then added a little to top off the oil. Never had them change the oil ever again and warned my friends and family about them too.
My trusted mechanic told me of this one guy who brought a van in, just had the oil changed at a Oil Change place about 1.5 miles up the road, got about a mile down the road and the engine seized, a guy with a truck pushed the van to the mechanic since it was only a short distance more. They forgot to put oil in the van, Guy got a brand new motor out of that. That oil change place has since gone out of business and was bought out by better owners.

Saturday, September 12, 2015 9:08 PM
I don't think I even know where to began yall... 3 weekends ago I traded the Kia to my sister for two non running 90s mustangs and traded the mustangs for a 90 mustang with a built 302... 2 weekends ago I finally put a clutch in the 89 z24. Last weekend I drove 300 miles round trip and bought a 88 z24 that needs to be put back together and a transmission.. Today I was driving 30 miles from the house to look at a ford ranger and I found a 91 cavalier sitting in someone yard and ending up buying it for 100.... (Go figure) and I still bought the ford ranger.. Needless to say my mom is on her toes right now LMAO.

This is just a few pictured...

Saturday, September 12, 2015 10:02 PM
Good stuff for sure.However one counter point to buying all the ride's and just a suggestion.I would narrow down the cars you really can bring back and keep clean and working and covered.The $ spent buying cars could go towards fixing the really cool one's like the turbo bird,and the verts which have potential.Not giving you a hard time,just a simple idea,as it is pretty hard just restoring one car mechanically and cosmetically to make it worthy and not run out of $ in the process.I will say the 5spd z is priceless as those are MEGA hard to find in one piece not all mucked up.The end story is use your additional cash to work on updating the good ride's and be able to drive them and tags/insurance cost with multiple cars can be pricey.You def are finding some great projects that need attention.Enjoy finding the rare one's as even around here there not even on the radar for sale,sitting or junkyards.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search