Pontiac 2.0 crankshaft main caps bolts - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Pontiac 2.0 crankshaft main caps bolts
Saturday, August 08, 2015 6:08 AM
I am rebuilding an 89 2.0 turbo engine from my Sunbird Cvt.
I find out that the rod bolts and the crankshaft main bearing caps bolts are "torque to yield" ones that should be replaced with new ones
I found the rod bolts at a dealer... but nobody has the main cap bolts...

So a machine shop I trust says put the old bolts in and torque as suggested....

Any thoughts?

Pat

Re: Pontiac 2.0 crankshaft main caps bolts
Saturday, August 08, 2015 4:05 PM
If you can wait ,call ARP. they can make you some in a short time.( they will require you sent them one).

Otherwise NOS if you are lucky ................................

I would ask member " SuperBee" on the Second Gen forum, he just rebuilt his 2.0 OHC Turbo a while back.

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Sunday, August 09, 2015 8:55 AM
Check out ARP part number 209-5401. It's a main stud kit (reusable!) for the Opel 16 valve c20xe. I believe they should be the same as for the 8 valve, but I would ask ARP to be sure. If you do find out that these will work, please share and let us know. Hope that helps...

• 86 Skyhawk wagon : 2.0SOHC swap, Megasquirt, 20SEH cam
• 93 Sunbird sedan : 2.0SOHC, Microsquirt, ported head, 10:1
• 88 Sunbird coupe : 2.0SOHC, turbo project car, giant tires
Sunday, August 09, 2015 4:26 PM
Thanks for the tip , Drivea5, a little cheaper on Ebay if its the same as Pontiac's..

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xarp+.TRS0&_nkw=arp+209-5401&_sacat=0

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 12:09 PM
ARP said for a small run of 10, it would cost $50-100 per bolt....
so maybe someday if 10 of us each want ten, maybe the price would be closer to $10/bolt...
I sent ARP the dimensions of the bolt, and they didn't have any in stock.

A friend of mine founds an expired ebay listing where they were unsold... so I contacted the guy and bought them

The discontinued part number is: GM 90234048 Main bearing bolts (10)

It might be fine to reuse them, but since it is a Turbo, and I am raising the compression and all.... I feel better having them....
Friday, August 21, 2015 10:00 AM
That's good you found some that'll work.
So to follow up, you weren't able to confirm if the Opel 16v ones work or not, right? I'm just wondering if they go by part number and whatever application is attached to it, or if they look at actual dimensions and verify that way. I'd guess the former, but you never know...

• 86 Skyhawk wagon : 2.0SOHC swap, Megasquirt, 20SEH cam
• 93 Sunbird sedan : 2.0SOHC, Microsquirt, ported head, 10:1
• 88 Sunbird coupe : 2.0SOHC, turbo project car, giant tires
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search