Dashboard steering wheel and steering column color? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Dashboard steering wheel and steering column color?
Wednesday, September 23, 2015 6:37 AM
Hello fellow first gen owners, I have a question for you this is my first post on here have been a lurker for a while and love the site! I have a 1986 z24 convertible that I am restoring, I know many of our first genj bodies have the darker tan upper dashboard steering column and steering wheel with the lighter tan lower part to match the door panels and seats, my question is has anybody found the proper color of spray dye to restore the darker portion of the upper dash and steering wheel and steering column and if so can you please let me know the brand name and color? My car is originally black exterior with what I would consider to be a buckskin or saddle interior. I will get some pics loaded up as soon as I can figure out how to get them properly loaded to the thread. Thank you again for any help. Roger.

Re: Dashboard steering wheel and steering column color?
Thursday, September 24, 2015 4:33 AM
google sem vinyl paint color chart. they might make a color close to what your looking for.
Thursday, September 24, 2015 10:02 AM
Thanks John, I've already looked at SEM, VHT, and duplicator but it's hard to tell the exact color on the internet so I was hoping somebody may have already redyed there steering wheel and found the right color match or one that was close enough for it. Guess I will have to just roll the dice and buy a couple of cans and see which one is closest. Thanks, Roger.
Thursday, September 24, 2015 11:10 AM
Get the trim code and go to an autobody paint supplier and have it made up.
Your color should be in this chart.
http://images.tcpglobal.com/chips/1985-Gm-pg05.jpg
I had it done with my 89 wagon, when I changed the dash board. One of the body shops I deal with had a quart made up for me and I used it to
paint the dashboard, steering wheel, and a trim retainer. This way I had an exact match, as the SEM paint is nowhere near the original.
Thursday, September 24, 2015 11:27 AM
The console is original color in this picture, dash steering column, and steering wheel were repainted.

Thursday, September 24, 2015 6:21 PM
Hey Frank, wow that dash and steering wheel and steering column look awesome! Thank you very much for the paint chip link, I will definitely be visiting my local paint shop and inquiring about what you have told me. How is the steering wheel holding up in your car? Thanks, Roger.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search