cluncking in front end, struts? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
cluncking in front end, struts?
Thursday, October 01, 2015 12:08 PM
I have checked everything else and all seems good, the only thing i can guess would be the struts are worn out? Only happens wjen hitting bumps on the road. The struts them selves are tight but maybe inside they are making noise? Thanks, Roger.

Re: cluncking in front end, struts?
Thursday, October 01, 2015 12:18 PM
If it's clunking over bumps, it's probably your upper strut bearings. If the car has super-high mileage, it could be sway bar end links, a-arm bushings, ball joints or tie rod ends, maybe even wheel bearings, but it's more than likely the strut bearings.

~ Mike ~

Thursday, October 01, 2015 12:28 PM
~ Mike ~ wrote:If it's clunking over bumps, it's probably your upper strut bearings. If the car has super-high mileage, it could be sway bar end links, a-arm bushings, ball joints or tie rod ends, maybe even wheel bearings, but it's more than likely the strut bearings.
I've checked everything else ball joints tie rod ends and bushings all seem fine, is there a way to test the strut amounts by jacking up the car and shaking something cuz I did not find anything.
Thursday, October 01, 2015 12:30 PM
I forgot, that the car only has 130,000 miles on it.
Thursday, October 01, 2015 2:02 PM
Not directly related, but the inner tie rods where they connect to the rack have a tendency to make an awful lot of noise when they get old. Going over bumps and potholes produces the racket, and since that location is right in front of the firewall you get the full benefit of all it! My wagon does it the worst in cold winter weather though.

Thursday, October 01, 2015 8:13 PM
If the car has the OEM struts they are toast!!! I can guarantee even though the spring might be stout,the strut itself can be blown out.I have done struts and even if the car only doe's 1 bounce on a PUSH down on the fenders each side and no additional bounce means zero.The spring is faking the worn component.Not to say the item's listed are not worn as well by some good suggestion's.I last did my nephews car is bounced all the road,bounced in the push down test and Yes I could move the shaft of the strut up and down with ease.His rears were done,and only 130k on a 02 civic.I have the fronts to do next and I went with the quick mounts Gabriel for his car trying out a different brand(for my humor).I like Monroe overall.

Thursday, October 01, 2015 8:48 PM
Mike Orlen and Ron, thank you for all the suggestions! I appreciate your time and info, I have thoroughly checked all the other bushings in the front and the ball joints and wheels for play and inner and outer tie rods, so at this point I'm going to take Rons suggestion and replace the front struts and mike suggestion of replacing the strut bearings and see if that solves the problem. I'll update my post with my findings when I get around to doing it this car has been a major restoration so far so I still have other things that need attention that I will be dealing with before the struts. When I have some more time I will post up some pics of before and afters of my car on a new restoration thread for it, I think you guys would appreciate it as it is a rare 1986 z24 convertible. Thank you again for the info, Roger.
Friday, October 02, 2015 9:28 PM
Alright on the overall idea and check.Even though the tierods and balljoints feel/look good just update those component's NOW!!!!! By doing a ALL in one suspension update will save time and I would also check your A arm bushings for any cracks,deformed rubber or dried out.Do all these at 1 time with the strut's removed and done period.I am not that far ahead but when I replace my front struts everything in the steering and suspension is going New!As a recommendation I strongly suggest Monroe's quick strut sensa trac these are super stupid smooooooth ride comfort.The sensa trac is what I have on 3 rides and two foreign 1 domestic and my gah just freaking awesome.I suggest the quick strut with Monroe because it has a NEW spring,and new strut all in 1, save time,and your trusted old almost 30year springs I can guarantee are Tired.Not the the true steel of the 80's but a firm,tight and smooth ride!!!!! I replaced my rear springs in the rear years ago now,and TRW and the rear bounce difference with new shocks and new TRW springs was night to day in comparison.You will not regret doing the ball joints,tierods and A arm bushing with the struts out and get a Alignment after this work is done!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search