A companion for my 2 - 1st Gens. - Page 3 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: A companion for my 2 - 1st Gens.
Tuesday, September 29, 2015 9:40 AM
Yes , Ron, I understand your thoughts. The rain wasn't nearly as bad Sunday here , even the kids were out and about playing on our street so I decided to give it a try. I'm not expecting great results out of this car anyways. Ultra cheap Rustoleum at under $9 a quart isn't going to be much, and rolling gloss black on sheet metal is near lunacy to any form of common sense. So I'm already stretching my luck - just discovering what can and cannot be done here. The car was only $150 and good for a bit of experimentation. If I can get by through the winter months with it and not have to endure daily sights of nasty clearcoat flickering in the wind, I think I did pretty good.The bigger picture is - as this posted on in the 1st Gen section - is it hopefully will give me something to putter around in and save the daily grind away from the Wagon. The good news is while I been working on the '02 - the Pontiac and Wagon have been hanging out high and dry under car covers and tarps - getting the royal treatment!!

Maybe some of this can be of help to other loyal 1st Gen owners and save their ageing square bodies for more years and miles of smiles!

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 12:31 PM
Hurricane Joaquin is heading for Virginia Orlen, Better put those J's under wraps..............................

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Thursday, October 01, 2015 7:12 AM
Pretty weather yesterday - So ironically, Doug, I uncovered all 3 yesterday and aired them out for awhile , while I rolled on the 2nd Primer coat on the '02. The 2 - 1st Gens and the Ranger all all looking just fine after all the rain we been experiencing. I am so glad to have learned how to properly cover them up - just had to take 30 years or so. Ok, no one ever said I was an Engineer or Doctor......or rich for that matter....Hahaa!

So now everything is buttoned back up and waiting for whatever weather we get thrown at us!

Thursday, October 01, 2015 8:58 AM
Its getting stronger, ( 120 MPH winds) People here tie mattress foam to the glass on cars to protect from flying debris.

I just park my 2 vehicles real close to the west side of the house since all the bad stuff comes from the east.

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Thursday, October 08, 2015 7:18 PM
Been busy painting top and under the '02. Finally got those awful rockers painted up now.

Topside took me a full 15 hours to apply 2 color coats. Black is a tedious color to work with, but with one distinct advantage.....While there are countless shades of every other color - there is only one good ole black. So here is a sneek peek of my authentic "Rustoleumobile" . Not trying to make this anything more than what it is - just a simple ultra cheap paint job. Laugh if you want to - that's OK. I was only wanting to get rid of that awful clearcoat nightmare. I'll never claim to be able to come anywhere near to the great painting of many wonderful members we have here on J-Body.

However, on the plus side of things, I did like painting with the Rustoleum. It is good paint, and I'd use it again. I especially prefer the Rusty Metal Primer - great stuff! Both the Rustoleum and the X-O Rust paints don't have harsh odors that choke the life out of you while you are using them. Another positive is the cost factor. $100 doesn't buy much of anything these days - this paint job, however only cost me $90! Lastly considering this was a black paint job and my level of competence - I actually surprised it did turn out as good as it did. I was expecting far worse, and this particular 3rd Gen was destined for the scrapper had I not bought it, so I suppose I might have saved a 3rd gen.....kind of surprising.

Yes that hood has a dent in it. By keeping this hood and living with that dent I saved about 1/2 the money I spent on the paint job!

Now if I could stop using my garage so damn much, maybe I'd have a little time to clean it up some. Well.....at least it is getting plenty of use. I made a little promise to myself when I rented this out - that I WOULDN'T use it as a storage bin! I've been pretty good keeping that promise. Garage costs me $50 a month and been worth every penny!!

Thursday, October 08, 2015 8:50 PM
It is looking better each time you share pics or the story behind it.I want to buy my self a decent hvlp spray gun and doodle painting myself.I if I get around to it will be replacing the rear deck on sunny.It has a old dent and not fixable.I do have a yes spare deck lid.First thing is getting my mechanical stuff done before I even consider paint work.

Friday, October 09, 2015 3:10 PM
Car looks great Orlen! Driving down the street or past a cop it will look decent . I've done the rus-toleum foam roller thing on plow trucks and it works great for a clean look in just one color, Great thing was on the GM plow trucks of the eighties if you dented a fender you could just unbolt, replace and rusto-oleum it back to "new"

Sunday, October 11, 2015 7:23 PM
The paint cans are covered.......the parts are bolted back on......wheels bolted up......car back on the ground again.

Today the sun shines on the '02 once again.

Sunday, October 11, 2015 10:04 PM
Looks pretty tight too me!

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 4:46 PM
Real nice Orlen ....................grand total invested in that J?

Doug in P.R.

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 4:12 PM

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 6:56 PM
No time to number crunch today, Doug. Been busy going over the venerable 1st Gen Ranger for a trip due South. Tomorrow Tammy and I are on our way to North Carolina to visit with Ron Love and to pick up those so so sweet Sunbird parts picked by Ron back in January!

On a happy note - that '02 "Rustoleumobile" passed inspection today - and is now road ready!! Wheeeeeee!!

But the '02 still needs work. This weekend I get the pleasure of ripping out the entire dash and steering column,air bags,IC,stereo ...ect. so I can replace the heater core. I've got the advantage of experience since I pulled one at Pick N Save and gained valuable experience so I am ready and knowledgeable!

So did I drive the '02 today? Heck no - been a Beautiful day here today and so I tooled around in style in the '84 Sunbird!

Thursday, October 15, 2015 8:52 PM
Back home after a delightful visit with Ron Love.

Enjoyed some great J-Body conversation, meet his lovely wife, toured his wonderful home and also got to check out Sunny face to face

Carried home some great , hard to find Sunbird parts! Super additions for the Pontiac!!

Ron is one 1st rate guy!! We are very fortunate to have him here on J-Body!!

Thank-You Ron!!

Thursday, October 15, 2015 9:06 PM
I was working on finding the site for the door key guards(my terms) nothing yet.I will find it though,as I KNOW they had the Pontiac symbol style cover as far as recall.However I will POP this site out for everyone http://www.oem-surplus.com I can assure you NO one will be disappointed in the Very cool items and the prices are very NICE imo.I also want to say I enjoyed our visit time and I think if all of us Older guys got together for a weekend we would not ever get bored talking car stuff or otherwise.

Saturday, October 17, 2015 7:52 PM
Meanwhile........Back to work on the '02.

Here is a very good reason to enjoy a 1st Gen because you will probably never need to do something like this.

Heater Core Replacement.....

I replaced the core in the Wagon years ago and never had this much of a headache to go with it. The heater assembly is similar, but the dash design makes for impossible access to it. I can only wonder how a Cruize is assembled. This component failure was the very reason this car was parked and went downhill.

Saturday, October 17, 2015 10:49 PM
Just seeing the dash removed has pain written all over it.How long did it take to get to the point to take said picture.

Sunday, October 18, 2015 6:50 PM
Plenty of pain to add to the misery yesterday Ron.....

Yesterday took about 5 hours to make that mess you saw - but that seems to have been the easy part. Today everything goes back together. Replacing that heater core was absolutely the easy part. I must have installed removed the dash at least 4 times as I kept missing a wire each time and realized my mistake as I tried each time to hook something back up.Needless to say I was so frustrated....but this 3rd gen had a new trick up it's sleeve for me. I replaced the steering column as the original had a defective ignition lock barrel that couldn't allow the ignition switch to turn fully to the starting position. I had swapped the switch previously with no solution. Old school remedy - swap the column....New school problem - anti-theft device. The folks never replied to my query regarding the ignition lock barrel problem warning me of the coming issues regarding anti-theft concerns - I was left to experience these on my own.....as well as the solutions. So on flashes the PassLock icon and the computer locks up the injectors thinking I was vandalizing it - the ignition lock is coded - changing the barrel requires a PassLock Re-learn Procedure which was explained in the 3rd Gen FAQ's which was also a trick to find! Basically you have to cycle the start engine - leave the ignition on for 10 minutes sequence 3 times to initiate the computer re-learn program. After the proper re-learn procedure and much anxiety - the '02 fired back up and gave me heat and much relief...... I still have some more to stuff to finish up on the interior , but I believe the '02 just might be a day or 2 away from relieving the '94 for a head gasket replacement. For awhile there , I thought I had ruined all the work I had accomplished on the '02.

And all the while the wonderful 1st Gens rest under their car covers and tarps. I is nice to pamper them so....Hahaa!

Saturday, October 24, 2015 6:38 AM
Everyone knows I have been up to my ears in this, but finally I have achieved a result. Spent months and months and learned lots and lots. I will have to sit down and figure up the tab on this but it has been very budget friendly. Perfect time in my life to take a great deal on a Cavalier destined for the scrap heap and give it a 2nd chance. 99% of everything used for repairs on this was obtained at the salvage yard....right down to the wind shield wipers. I did give up on trying to upgrade the factory stereo because the electronics are locked out. I simply picked up one of those little radio transmitters you can hook up to your phone at WalMart for $40 and dialed in the radio - works just fine....and I can still keep that factory look.
A special little easter egg I'd like to share in the middle of this post regards an interesting bit of drama I had with the starter on this car. Remember this is a bottom budget based experiment so I learned a little something I'd like to share. Just as soon as I got this car ready for the first trial drive the starter stopped working - "Click, Click" Solenoid kicked but that was all. I tried 3 different batteries to satisfy myself it wasn't a juice problem. Finally I dropped the starter - so darn easy on the OHV engines , and when I tested it with a batter it worked but I noticed there was a lot of corrosion on the housing. I grabbed up my drill and cleaned up the surface where the starter mates with the engine when bolted up. The old starter has hit every time since that , and I never even thought about the fact that the juice from the starter runs back through the engine block to the main ground wire and back to the battery. So if you have a suddenly loose your starter it might just be corrosion, not a bad starter. Also consider when you tale your starter to have it checked at the Auto Parts Store they simply hook up their alligator clip[ to the body of the starter too, and if it is corroded there will not be a full electrical connection. How many starters have been bought because of this? Who knows. Hopefully I can get some of them next year at the Salvage Yard for spares of my own. I am very curious if a 3rd gen starter will work on a 1st gen engine. Leave it to me to figure that one out - as I am the crazy nut to give that a try.

Meanwhile - I'm finally driving this!

https://picasaweb.google.com/106523843413447284565/July262015#6209201389152553730

Saturday, October 24, 2015 10:31 PM
Great job orlen.I would add more but,today just tired me out?And today is my low mileage day of 396miles.I will say I did not sleep to great last night (being part of the issue).

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 9:26 AM
I guess I will simply lob this in this thread since it isn't 1st Gen material. I'd post in the 3rd Gen forum but that one is dead and I'm sure there are some experienced folks here that can give me some great advice!

So having got my feet wet with the '02 it is becoming appearant I ought to consider an decent OBD II scanner. I know the sky is the limit with these things and the more you spend the more you (should) be able to do with it. Obviously I won't be needing one for anything other than GM since that is all we are running, so I don't need an "all in one"..... Everything is going electronic and it seems a scanner is becoming a must have tool. Now I don't know much about these things - but may as well consider getting one that can read the air bags and antilock brake system as well. Not sure if they even sell something to recode the factory stereos to work in another vehicle - but I already found out dropping in another stereo out of another Cavalier and hooking up the wires is a No No.

Any advice is welcome - horror stories is a plus! I'd rather learn from someone else's PIA than suffer the same fate myself!

Anyone running a passive scanner on their laptop in Linux?

Thanks in advance!

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 1:01 PM
Got a simple one for under $70 when the light was blinking in my Breeze one day when I started it. I know a blinking light means SHUT IT DOWN NOW!

It came with simple instructions and it doesn't have a huge display, but it works and tells me the code or codes that are coming. It will even let me clear the code.

I do have to then go to google or something like that and look up the code as the fancy and expensive ones tell you what the code is right on the scanner...but I just didn't see paying extra for that.

My personal feeling is this: when you have a light come on, swing by Autozone or one of those places that will tell you what the code is for free. If you ever have a blinking light, since you need to shut it down immediately anyway...that would be the time to buy a scanner.

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 5:11 PM
I have a simple one from Autozone that cost me about $40 on sale a few years ago. The one I have is the Actron Pocket Scan CP9125. It shows codes and came with a book to look up codes. I can also reset the computer with it. A scanner that shows airbag and anti lock would definitely be the way to go if I had to get a new one today.

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 9:43 PM
I have a acton CP9580A This is obd2 and has the ABS that covers most cars from 1996 to newer.The items it covers are obd2- newer,reads codes,erases codes,displays emissions status,on screen definition,displays LIVE engine data,internet updateable,trilingual menu,manufactures spefic code definition,record and play back data,graphs data,abs 1996-2010 GM,ford,crysler,96-09 Toyota Honda and Nissan and hyundia,code connect and component locator indicates location of part on vehicle,auto ID identifies vehicle being scanned,.In short this will do a good check of the vehicle and do the cool features I like with LIVE data showing fuel pressure,map sensor, engine temp,o2 etc.The ONLY thing it does not do is SRS (safety restraint system) for any air bad related problem.This unit cost me $200.00 on sale from autozone.Normal price is $249.00 and they put this on sale ALOT at the zone or advance.I personally want to take a step UP to a unit that will do the SRS stuff as it isolates the problem down to what the issue is specifically.I have looked on ebay and just waiting for the right product either actron or geninus (bad spelling) for the a unit to cover it ALL for under 300.00 or less(less) my choice.The unit I have works great and you can hook it up to your home pc and have a quick tab on your computer to link your reader to the usb port to update and save data and print OFF.IF you buy this it comes with the info needed to join the actron site and keep your reader up to date and do more.I know you can buy a reader that will do most of what I said with the SRS for around 250.00 on ebay and def good quality.I am just wiped out tonight and if I find a code scanner to suggest that I would buy with the added feature I want I will link it later.My gosh my arthritis is kicking but,my wine glass of chill out helps!!!

Thursday, November 12, 2015 7:23 AM
Deeep into the '94 now since I got the '02 to rely on for the daily stuff - all that hard work back in the hot pretty days is now paying off!

Just one of those situations when you go in an the deeper you go the more you run into. The heater box was all coated in surface rust that just let the whole engine bay down the moment I lifted the hood - so I decided to go ahead and remove it and paint it up. Yep the heater box was still made out of metal in '94. Easy to remove, and once off I couldn't help the need to remove the cowl and clean out the cowl drain, which was typically all clogged up - but - thankfully rust free! Other small areas of rust and the battery tray was in need as well. I decided to take some extra time and get these other small items bumped out since I don't have to have this car on the road as much as I once used to. I also took the time to pull out all the old air conditioning equipment since it wasn't working and I prefer having all the airflow directly to the radiator I can get on the older engine - just a little peace of mind!

Rather unique photo here - I climbed up on a ladder and took a few yesterday. You can easily see a lot of similarities going on with the earlier 1st Gens. Now to see if I am good enough to get this all back together!! Hahaa!!

Thursday, November 12, 2015 8:32 PM
From afar the cylinder walls and pistons look mighty clean.I assume you cleaned the carbon off the pistons?I have been semi busy but,not like your pic.The short story had to kind of sit tight today as the wife had some day surgery for the female side and had to assist her as needed.She is doing fine and while she slept some I managed to do a full detail on her car inside and out.Stupid clean that is with a wax job and tire shine and put her cars front end bra back on (removed when it rains) and got that done today.I want bore you with all the details just that she had to be sedated and this was at the hospital and her mom took her this AM at like 5.She got home around 1pm and still a zombie but doing OK.Cool stuff orlen continue on as this winter I plan on addressing sunnys to do as I want have to mow which eats a lot of time as You saw on your visit.Btw all the leaves are gone finally for the most part.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search