Neat way to test a heater core - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Neat way to test a heater core
Friday, October 16, 2015 6:59 PM
Everyone knows I am always up to something, it seems.'

Today I hatched an idea of how to pressure test my 2 heater cores I picked up at the local yard for cheap. Heck you can do this to test a fresh core manufactured in China and bounced along thousands of miles before being put in your ailing J-Body!

Simply use the water pressure of your local water supply to test your core. Use what you have. I grafted a piece of heater hose onto a garden hose and found a ball hitch to use for a plug on the opposite side of the core. Just make sure everything is sealed up. Turn on the water and lay your core in a known dry place. If you have even a tiny leak, you'll know in a few minutes.

Here is one of mine under test. Both turned out water tight and good for use in the "02.

Of course I will be running the old antifreeze through my old coffee pot to filter all the junk out of it so I can re-use it in something else......like the '94 with the leaking head gasket!

Re: Neat way to test a heater core
Friday, October 16, 2015 7:08 PM
cool!

Orlen - you are always thinking...

Saturday, October 17, 2015 12:38 PM
A bike inner tube works also and on A/C condensers , evaporators and radiators too!

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Saturday, October 17, 2015 1:25 PM
Nice easy way to check it before spending hours installing it and then find out it leaks.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search