V8Z24 ...for real ! - Page 3 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: V8Z24 ...for real !
Saturday, February 23, 2013 1:08 PM
It's almost ready to go off and get some paint on her!
That's right. Rearend's finally together!
$150 for a rearend cover, but it's well worth it. Fill + drain holes in it (would be hassle otherwise with everything like ladder bars + fuel cell and @!#$.)
Thing finally hit the ground so I took a few pictures. It'll be back up in the air again but I figured it's worth looking at.
Need to finish bodywork, and spray more primer on, and quick primer job with more sanding before we send it off for final touchs before paint though. At least it can get there now though.
I would of put the wheels I'm going to use on it, but we don't have the correct lugs for the front, and the rear won't hold air currently. so these'll have to do. ;D

One of the things I'm going to tackle before we start more fillwork, is this. Yes, it's a ghetto way of doing it. But I'm sure it'll turn out nice. Don't hate . I don't have $300 to spend on a tool I'm going to use once, and I can't find anywhere's to borrow one.

Thursday, February 28, 2013 7:23 PM
Hopefully this'll be the second last coat of primer to hit the car.
I've spent pretty much, the last two days straight putting spot putty on this car, and block sanding. and finally primed it before work tonight.
Also, Rolling the fenders with a hairdryer and baseball bat worked excellent.

PAINT SOON....
...Hopefully.
Thursday, February 28, 2013 8:01 PM
Nice improvements or rather good progress.As for the nice young lady she's def complementing the car!

Friday, March 01, 2013 12:43 PM
Good Stuff.

Friday, March 01, 2013 2:10 PM
Looks great man.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, March 04, 2013 4:25 PM
Thanks! I'm just trying to pick away as much as I can at this thing.

I picked up some new seats! (finally....)
Black G-Force race seats with custom mounts already made for a cavalier(third gen)!
Reemed them out a little more tonight, and put a coat of paint on the mounts, but they look sweet as hell.
I'll take a better picture of them, but here's test fitting the first time in the hatch.

Everyday I get more and more excited as I know the car's getting painted soon.
The body modifications I've done are:
Cowl hood on stock 86 metal hood,
Rolled front fenders, while I beat the rear lips up.
Shaved emblems,
Shaved Antenna,
Shaved gasdoor,
Shaved hatch(no rear wiper, or third brakelight),
z24 bumpers,
going to have PH 1 side skirts shortened + put on,
Cut + opened rear wheel wells,
Cut hole in rear bumper for dual-exhaust.... There are probably more but I just can't think right now haha.
Just thinking about everything we've done and how much work we've done, just gets me so impatient to get this painted.

I realised I still have to finish the side skirts however, which is a drag, because of how flimsey they are... What I try to stick them back together with will probably just crack.
I have to shorten them because we opened up the wheel well two inches, so I have to get the sideskirt shortened to fit properly.

Another modification I'm going to have to do ASAP is putting in the locking hood pins. I'm still up in the air about it, but I figure they'd be nice to have on the car, since they're just sitting in the backshelf.
Saturday, March 09, 2013 4:33 PM
Got fed up. Painted jams + some other odds + ends myself.
Didn't care too much for overspray because the cars needs another coat of sanding anyway, but whatever.
I think it's purdy as hell.

I'm going to take my windows in to tint here soon, so I figured I'd take them out and clean them up!
Also found some chrome doorhandles that will work on the car. Going to look some sweet (These ones are scratched, but they work. Just have to find better shape ones)

Might end up painting the car ourselves. Just getting fed up waiting on other people
Saturday, March 09, 2013 4:48 PM
Cody-

My 84 came with the chrome handles. There was an rpo that got you body colored inserts on the door handle. Mine has it and I think it would be a nice touch with that sweet purple you are using to paint yours.

Saturday, March 09, 2013 5:39 PM
Yeah,
That color looks awesome!

Saturday, March 09, 2013 6:26 PM
WOW!! This is gonna be one Damn Purty Hatchback when you get finished!!

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 7:03 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys!,
I might have to look into that for the handles haha. I personally never seen chrome doorhandles on a car before my '88 wagon out west, so I thought only a few came with them and they might be rare. Regardless, I'm happy this car's going to have chrome doorhandles since 12/14 of my j-bodies I owned have painted doorhandles.

So, a few things are,
We ordered a brand spankin' new windshield for the car today(none of the parts car had a good enough one for the hatch, Maybe I'm being too picky)...
My dad's buddy(who is going to certify the car I hope, and make it legal), is coming over friday to see about wiring the car! It's at a point now that we want to get the dash + windshield in before the car's painted, so we thought it'd be nice if he'd wire it, or start wiring it, just to get the ball rolling on that critical part of the car.
Since tomorrow I work, my father's taking in my hatch side glass for me to go get tinted! Just those small little things you can put on before the cars painted, right?

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 8:13 PM
I got new black door handles at NAPA, I'm sure you can get the chrome ones as well (they were made by Help)
Wednesday, March 13, 2013 8:38 PM
Great color choice.As for the door handles most auto stores online and walk in have these black or chrome dirt cheap.That is something I need to replace my driver side and have one yet to install.It just wobbles but works fine.Good progress

Sunday, March 17, 2013 3:23 PM
Small update, but better then nothing.
I started a new job to help raise funds currently due to no good contracts with the military until summer, so I'm working backshift a lot now.
So needless to say, not much time to do anything haha.
Finally got around to shortening the side skirts!

It doesn't look like much, but it's going to make quite the difference. That's just comparing the first one to one completely untouched.

Also got tired and fed my itch of putting the car back together with a very small step. The rubbers! Got the hatch,side windows, and door rubbers in!
Spent a few hours cleaning them all up(too much dirt accumulated from bodywork, who would of guessed.), and stuck them on! The hatch rubber however shrunk a tad bit but no big deal. Caring less and less about details everyday.

This means that as soon as the guy tints the glass, it's going on and getting taped off. Very little left to do to the body before paint. Might even put a windshield in if it comes early enough haha.
I think I'm going to stick all the weld wheels on and move the car outside and take a few pictures, and at the same time do a thorough cleaning of the garage, incase worst comes to worst, we paint it ourselves.
Thursday, April 04, 2013 10:39 PM
Well, I haven't posted an update for a while so I guess I'll post one incase anyone cares,

The guy we took our windows to for tint has been rather slow but should be getting them back soon! got them tinted at 35%, he wanted me to do 15% but I figured that'd be TOO dark.
We painted underneath where the side skirts go so we can stick them on! just seeing that little bit of purple is even more of a tease
It seems like noone wants to paint a car nowadays, so we bought a new paintgun just incase we have to do it ourselves.
My instrument cluster broke again, so we're in the process of getting a new one made out of metal. So this is going to be our third . Last one I made was out of plexiglass + just a little bit of weight from a hose broke it in two again...Quite a shame because we just finished painting it purple + putting clearcoat on haha.
I just got new lugnuts for the front wheels so we can sit the car on the ground once the sideskirts are on. When the car's on the ground we're going to see how close the clearence with the front wheels - fender are, to see if we have to roll again or what. Then we get to roll the car outside, take some purdy pictures and clean the garage .

I know this isn't going to happen, but if this car was done + legal by July 11th, I could die happy. I REALLY want to take this car to the Atlantic Nationals, held in New Brunswick this year.. Gotta show this thing off to Courtney Hansen, right?

No pictures this time, But I'll post some up as soon as I make any real progress on this car other then just sanding haha.
...The girlfriends car's currently in the garage too taking up too much space so I gotta work on that and get that out ASAP.

...Also strongly debating on saving up and buying a ls1/6 speed combo, instead of building a motor.
Wednesday, April 10, 2013 5:35 PM
Well,
Got some progress done.
I finally got my instrument cluster back, and reemed it out for my gauges to fit, just waiting on getting some other things ready to be painted along with it.
Still haven't heard back from the guy tinting my hatch + windows, but should be done by now, it's been three weeks.
My wheels still aren't finished being welded up either. which is a bummer,
but the good news is,
Side skirts on and cars on the ground again! It's getting shipped off on april 22nd for wiring!
Figured misawell get the car running before paint so we don't mess up the paintjob working over the fenders all the time...

Here's it's attempt at the shoe test if any of you know about that haha.

Gathered up a bunch of interior peices and stuff which I'll be cleaning once the car leaves the garage to go to my dad's buddies.

I love the look of the car on the ground. It looks like it's actually going to be a sweet pro-street car.
Also the lowest car I've ever owned! which isn't neccessarily a good thing with the roads here in Nova Scotia.

Now to size up a driveshaft, and get ready for this thing once it comes back from Terry's and its running.
There'll be videos of it running though, trust me.
Thursday, April 11, 2013 12:20 PM
I wish there was an edit button so I could add these in to my post yesterday,
but here's a few pictures from today.
The sun was shining when I pushed the car out so I could blow out the garage!

Thursday, April 11, 2013 12:31 PM
looking great. I love the stance.

Thursday, April 11, 2013 7:04 PM
Do I see a custom made cutout on the right side of the rear bumper to allow for dual exhaust?
Sunday, April 14, 2013 8:16 AM
Why yes you do. . You can't have a v8 car without duals

So I've been working on this decently over the past few days, as I found out I'm finally getting my DP2alpha course next month. This means I'll be going at this non-stop basically until then haha. I've ordered some new parts which include aftermarket headlights, just to help the wiring process out.
But here's some more peektures! enjoy!

(The stickerbombed airfilter will look SO much better once the engine bays painted, and everything's cleaned up.)

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 5:33 PM
Wheels, tint + hatch on.
Have to get as much done before it goes!

Don't mind my pants.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 5:51 PM
Looking forward to see this machine running and rolling , although I sure am glad I don't have to be the one keeping gas in the tank....LoL

Please be kind to The Beast ( nickname suggestion) once it lives!! We all just aren't an the mood to be forming a posse in search of it's reckless owner

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 8:04 PM
Nice updates.I hope you can get it all done in your time frame summer is soon coming.

Monday, April 22, 2013 3:17 PM
Well, shipped the car off today.
It might actually be back by next week! It landed in his yard, so it's getting all of his attention.
I also bought $300 worth of new headlights for the car(look awesome)

I don't know what it is, but a yard full of cavaliers makes me happy.

And finally.

By getting wired, I mean the car will be running (Have to run out to the camp and pick up some old cherrybombs for now), lights working, gauges, etc etc.
I need to hurry up and get the driveshaft shortened !
Suckered him into doing the brakes too (He's doing mechanical fitness, so why not.)

Next few days, I have nothing planned but sanding, cleaning and painting the trim peices along with the interior pieces.
Sunday, April 28, 2013 9:05 AM
Well,
Car is probably going to not be coming back before I go to Gagetown(I guess the wiring is more of a hassle then even we thought, haahahahah)
so I can't really do too much to it before I leave. They cut a lot out of the course I guess though, so it's not going to be that long, So I get to come back sooner to work on the hatch
I've sanded the trim, and got it ready for paint, but i can't find trim paint anywhere in town, so I don't know what to do for a substitute.
I ordered some neo-chrome tow hooks for the car, just to help with moving the car around.
I also ordered today, the only emblem I'm putting on this car. ( friggin expensive for just a emblem! Holy)
here's what I ordered

aaaand

A little different, but once you see my plans, I think you'll actually like it.

Random question, but what's the biggest size speaker people have fit in the first gen dash's? I'm looking at ordering my speakers here soon too
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search