A companion for my 2 - 1st Gens. - Page 4 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: A companion for my 2 - 1st Gens.
Wednesday, March 30, 2016 7:37 PM
The 5speed 3rd gen has finally made it home!!

2001 - 1 OWNER! It is in need of some serious TLC though.....

Bad engine, but I have access to some decent engines at Pick N Save - I can get two engines pulled and loaded in the truck bed by yard workers making some extra money on the weekend for just $400 ($200 for the 2 engines and $100 each for the labor!!) Engine normally cost $175 each but I have a coupon for BOGOF

Car only cost $200 so I have plenty of wiggle room in the budget dept.

The challenge is for me to get this fun little Coupe back on the road. Hope I can post positive progress.....

My big ass conveniently hides a nasty dent in the fender courtesy of a deer, but I have a silver replacement fender already. Had to gain some weight back on - I had lost too much and gotten myself too weak. Feel much better but God I miss those thin pants and shirts!!!

Been 25 years since I've had a manual J Body - really looking forward to down-shifting through the curves again!!

Wednesday, March 30, 2016 7:41 PM
Good luck with said project.

Sunday, April 17, 2016 8:41 AM
Little update on the 5 speed......

Car with bad engine vs. truck full of (hopefully) good engines. Fingers crossed - my little 5 speed Cavalier project is moving forward!

BOGO!! 2 for 1 today at my favorite Pick N Save. Scored 2 engines for $180 and even got to play lazy old man and got them pulled for me for $100 apiece. Not that I wasted $200, no, not at all - because I got to watch a professional pull both of these and got some free lessions on how to remove a Cavalier engine. That man had both engines in my truck in 2 hours!

Just in case anyone is curious - 3rd gen drivetrains come out the bottom.

The car the engine on the right came out of had 152K miles and was destroyed in the rear. The car the engine on the left came out of had 182K miles and was torn up on the passenger side. Never ever buy an engine out of a car with with a perfect body - either the engine or the transmission is burned out in one of these!

Just a couple of photos of an old man and his toys......In typical J-Body Nut fashion - I used 3rd gen Cavalier Wheels to hold down the engines for the hour long trip home. How interesting it was to use a 2.3 Liter engine to haul 2 x 2.2 Liter engines home

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search