Need a digital dash. - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need a digital dash.
Friday, October 30, 2015 6:07 AM
Hey everyone, well, my digital dash went out in a puff off nasty smoke yesterday if anyone can find me one or has one that works I'd reaaly appreciate it. Really sucks not knowing how much gas is in the car while driving. It is an 86 Z24 vert, looking for cluster from 86 to 88 as the 89 up needs too much modification to work on my car. Thanks again everyone Roger

Re: Need a digital dash.
Friday, October 30, 2015 1:59 PM
89 is still the same dash as the earlier ones, the 89 cars are just connected to different terminals on the left hand dash panel plug.
Friday, October 30, 2015 3:06 PM
FrankD wrote:89 is still the same dash as the earlier ones, the 89 cars are just connected to different terminals on the left hand dash panel plug.
Hey Frank, my understanding was that the vss signal was routed differently, it is not in the cluster after 88, it run through the ecm, so I would have to change around some things or else it will not read the signal ( no speed signal), but it would plug in and everything else would work, just not register my speed?
Friday, October 30, 2015 5:42 PM
The difference is, in 89 the dash stopped being used to send a signal to the ecm and cruise control module. The vss signal went direct to the ecm, and from there to the dash and cruise module. The signal indicating speed goes to the same terminal in the digital dash, no matter what the year. In 89 your not using the output from the buffer in the digital dash and there is no connection from the car's harness to these circuits, but they are still in the digital dash. Ihave both 88 and 89 cars with digital dashes and I have interchanged them from no problem. They only difference in the digital dashes is the speedometer readings. Some only register up to 80mph and then the speed starts to flash the 80 mph and don't display the speed over that, others have no limit. And if you were wondering the ones with no limit, due register three digits.
Saturday, October 31, 2015 8:50 PM
Thanks frank, I understand now . Can you tell me what you did to make the 89 up cluster work in your 88? Thanks for the info again! Roger.
Sunday, November 01, 2015 3:55 AM
I just put it in, there are no mods needed.
Monday, November 02, 2015 4:29 AM
Gotcha, sorry for all the confusion on my part, I don't know why I thought I had read in a post somewhere that a buffer or something had to be changed out in order for the dash to work in the earlier year cars, I'm glad that I'm not limited now to only the 86 through 88, now the big challenge will still be to find a replacement for mine . Thanks again FrankD.
Wednesday, April 06, 2016 7:25 PM
Well I just picked up an 87 5 speed z24 with the infamously bad digital dash so the search is still on, if anyone has one or comes across one I'd greatly appreciate it . Thanks, Roger.
Friday, April 08, 2016 10:22 AM
These people repair them.
https://www.modelelectronics.com/
Friday, April 08, 2016 5:36 PM
Yeah, but funds are low with the purchase and was hoping to find one in $75.00 range used instead of paying $300_400 to fix this one.
Friday, April 08, 2016 7:05 PM
I also collect Silver so if someone is interested in trading one for some Silver half dollars I would do that too. Thanks, Roger.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search