Next project: flip-down headlights! - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Next project: flip-down headlights!
Saturday, June 04, 2016 8:18 PM
Alright so I'm reaching the end of the to-do list with the Skyhawk!

The only really disfunctional things left are the flip-down headlights. They go down (which is easy because I figure the motor just unlocks and pull down on the covers that then just fall because of their own hefty weight) but won't they just won't go back up. I'll take pics this week but from a quick visual inspection I can tell the hinges are loose, and I think at least one of the two motors is tired. I'm guessing the assembly must be shared in part with filp-up Sunbirds?

Either way I got two rebuilt motors, but I was wondering if there was something else to look out for? Are the hinges known to fail like on Reattas? Any upgrade that can be implemented to protect the mechanisms in the future?

Re: Next project: flip-down headlights!
Sunday, June 05, 2016 5:38 AM
While I don't know what's up with your car, I do know what I've heard about the Fiero:

It's not the motor itself that goes bad, it is something in the system that is made of plastic. With all the cross-use of parts at GM, I would find out if the motor is the same as on the Fiero and then check out the Fiero Store (if it still exists) and get the upgraded ones that use metal instead of plastic.

Of course, this plastic of which I speak could be on the motor, I really don't know as I've never seen them; so after what I posted above, it could be the motor that is bad because of that plastic being part of the motor.
Re: Next project: flip-down headlights!
Wednesday, June 08, 2016 5:30 PM
I got "Rebuilt" motors off the WrenchMonkey website but I don't think they're rebuilt to Reatta Specialty Parts specs (Reattas, Fieros, Skyhawks and Sunbirds share the same unit - the one good side of GM being a badge-engineering friendly corporation).

I did compare the hinges (or, as they're actually called, bellcrank arms) and they also seem identical so I'm thinking of getting reengineered Reatta units too!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search