Front air dam for the wagon - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Front air dam for the wagon
Saturday, June 04, 2016 6:17 PM
Hey guys !
It's been a while, so I thought I'd share a small project I've been thinking about doing to my Wagon for a while..
I read somewhere (maybe here) that an S10 lower front valance might work for an air dam for the first gen Cavs, so I've been casually looking for one here and there.
Finally found one on Rockauto for like $8.00 plus $25.00 in shipping because of the size of the box, so I decided to give it a shot!

It fits pretty well and I really didn't have to trim anything to get it to fit - just nine stainless screws and nuts and 18 stainless washers later and VIOLA !

It fits pretty well and is solidly mounted! Only real problem I'll have is that I can't fit a regular floor jack under it, but I have a low profile one, so it really isn't and issue..

I like it !

~ Mike ~

Re: Front air dam for the wagon
Saturday, June 04, 2016 7:40 PM
Watch out for those speed bumps and sidewalks at the store fronts when you pull up!!!

I jack my J's up from the underside body lip right behind the front tire at the bottom of the fender area. Adjust that area as needed when I plan on setting jack stands underneath. The stock airdam is shorter on my Pontiac and I still scrape it coming out of the alley when I park in the garage.

Is that what you got this one off of?

Saturday, June 04, 2016 7:42 PM
Really nice job!!

Looks like it'd work for Skyhawks too but they have (at least for the hidden headlights one) an opening for cooling right in the middle. I think the old lady that owned the car must have hit a curb or a parking space divider and then reversed because mine is bent in the middle. Kinda hoping I won't make the same mistake, don't know where I'd find another one!
Saturday, June 04, 2016 7:49 PM
The SkyHawk bends forward in the front, so it doesn't really look right. I have two S10 dams and will be turning them upside down and doing a little cut and paste to fit the contours of the Hawk.

For cutting, I'll spin a miter saw blade backwards.
Sunday, June 05, 2016 3:15 PM
Orlen Brown wrote:Watch out for those speed bumps and sidewalks at the store fronts when you pull up!!!

I have around 5 inches of clearance which is about the same amount of clearance my wife's 2014 Honda Civic has, so I think I'm fairly safe - even in the hills of Western Pa. !!!

Orlen Brown wrote: I jack my J's up from the underside body lip right behind the front tire at the bottom of the fender area. Adjust that area as needed when I plan on setting jack stands underneath. The stock airdam is shorter on my Pontiac and I still scrape it coming out of the alley when I park in the garage..

I used to use the front subframe arms to lift the front end of the car for oil changes, brake jobs, tire rotation, etc.
I never was a fan of lifting the car from rocker jack points, I just feel it does too much damage to those areas and those just don't seen solid enough to me.
From here on in I will just use the rear mounting pads of the subframe behind the front wheels as my primary front jack points ...

~ Mike ~

Tuesday, June 07, 2016 10:15 AM
Looks great!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search