Buick haulin the lumber - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Buick haulin the lumber
Thursday, June 02, 2016 7:53 PM
Hello all,
Been a few years. Saw this the other day so I thought I'd come back and share this.
Looks like at least 25 landscaping timbers in the trunk!
Attachments
20160526_160307.jpg (228k)

Re: Buick haulin the lumber
Friday, June 03, 2016 11:11 AM
I can get an 11 foot stick of lumber in my 2nd gen sedan and close the trunklid. Back seatback folded down and passenger front seatback reclined fully, with the lumber run down into the passenger footwell across the console and toward the drivers side at the trunk edge. I actually prefer using that vehicle to haul something like that over the '86 Ford Ranger that I've got. I'd be scared to try and remember all that the ole Wagon has carried around! However, the driver in this photo went way overboard - could have made 2 to 3 trips instead. Obviously doesn't care about the vehicle at all.

Friday, June 03, 2016 1:05 PM
Looks like he could use a set of Moog Cargo springs, lol
Either way, looks like he is getting them there
Saturday, June 04, 2016 8:23 AM
I installed small footballs in my 2nd Gen rear springs for just that kind of work, usually carry bags of cement or blocks in the trunk when out and about and dont feel like going all the way back home home just to get the pickup.

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Saturday, June 04, 2016 8:30 AM
had to cut half of the spring bumper off to get them in there , its a real small spring ( space wise) but it works great.

Doug in P.R.
Attachments
DSCN2180.JPG (1573k)

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Saturday, June 04, 2016 4:06 PM
Hahaa.... having too much fun with this....

I found the 3rd gen trunk easier for carrying blocks and cement since the opening in much lower. In fact I did haul some cap blocks and 16" patio blocks in the "02 this morning since the wagon is getting some paint work done on it and the ole Ranger was covered up. (Even got a compliment from the yard man on my Rustoleum paint job...LoL)

Now I'd say the earlier models with the raised trunk sills are much better for the lumber. Helps angle it upwards and helps hold it in if it is hanging out.

I've learned a huge amount having all 3 generations - Enjoy all of them too!! Only regret I have is they all are getting more rare every year.

Saturday, June 04, 2016 6:33 PM
The sad thing is, that looks like a really decent Buick.

Saturday, June 04, 2016 7:30 PM
Ouch it hurts just looking at that picture!!
Saturday, June 04, 2016 7:33 PM
Got one right here in Covington just like that one - same color but with standard Buick wheel covers . The owner is just running it into the ground, rust starting to show and he just puts in gas and drives. Kinda hurts to see as I spend a lot of time repainting my rides as needed. Granted it is a lot of work, but I've found over the years it has given the 1st gens that I have an ageless appearance from all the attention. Many years ago back when I was a teenager I delivered newspapers to a lady that had a Corvair and she got it repainted rather often.......funny how I still remember that. Now here I am - probably creating that same kind of memory in some local kids head. Long after I am gone , and the car too , by then he will be an old man remembering too. Spooky.....

Saturday, June 04, 2016 7:39 PM
That's how we keep the passion of cars alive from generation to generation.

I kinda wish I had the money for a repaint on the Skyhawk but the lower accent colour has actually already been touched up in the past so it's still pretty vibrant. The upper accent colour has oxydised quite a bit but when the car is clean it's still pretty sparkly and it's like my car's wrinkles, reminds me that she's an older lady. I actually got the clearcoat touched-up/redone at an auto body shop school. They took the time to work on the lower body respray to get rid of orange peel effect and the thing is literally like a mirror now, really pleased with that!!
Sunday, June 05, 2016 10:52 AM
It did look to be in really good condition. It obviously ran good too. It just took a pretty good hill to get to where the picture was taken, and he wasn't holding up any traffic.
I figure it was a long time owner that just used the car for whatever they needed and it always did what was asked.
I would guess they do take good care of the car, but may be their only vehicle. Whitewall tires and original wheel covers.
As long as the head gasket holds up, those little 4 bangers are pretty good old engines.

Wednesday, June 08, 2016 12:56 PM
That's what my cavalier looked like when hauling my mother in law home from the grocery store one time She got about a months worth of groceries one trip lol. My poor cavy was riding the bumpstops the whole way.

Wednesday, June 08, 2016 4:50 PM
Spike J wrote:That's what my cavalier looked like when hauling my mother in law home from the grocery store one time She got about a months worth of groceries one trip lol. My poor cavy was riding the bumpstops the whole way.
Before I read the line in bold,,,, well less just say the first line brought about a disturbing image, lol
Wednesday, June 08, 2016 5:35 PM
Haha me too!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search