Window Seals and Scrapers - Page 2 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Window Seals and Scrapers
Tuesday, April 21, 2015 7:30 PM
Eureka!! Looked a little further and in the 87 brochure it does state - " A new cowl induction hood"

Sorry Ron. Point awarded to Mr. Stroud! Amazing this hood was a 1 year only item. Gotta be RARE!!

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 11:53 PM
My only comments are This was a 1986 and I verified this by decoding the VIN myself even though the yards do indicate the year model marked on the glass or paint.As a good NOTE I carry a vin sheet that helps me determine the cars spec's with me every trip to the junkyards.Orlen I can't kick real info but,with GM they changed a lot of options on our J bodies thru the production process which at some point those of us who gather parts came to realize at certain points.I will say my hood matched the original paint to the letter and my only guess is that this was late produced car and was installed on this car as it was a factory 2.8 mpfi with a automatic as I scoured over this car on two separate occasions gathering all I could save!!!!! I will say this is NOT the 1st scenario where I found a option on a 1st gen that make me roll my eye's and say was this really offered in this year model.GM changed stuff and I think this is why this clearly prove's to be more interesting today as our topic.I could point out some mild changes tonight but,I am really wiped out.I think at the end we all learn more history of the cars we love and carry the legacy of the real jbody history on.

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 3:59 AM
Ron Love wrote:....I could point out some mild changes tonight but,I am really wiped out.I think at the end we all learn more history of the cars we love and carry the legacy of the real jbody history on.

And this is what it's all about!
Wednesday, April 22, 2015 4:35 AM
there is also the possibility the car was in an accident, and when at the dealer body shop, the owner said they would like the new hood since it needed a hood anyway. Everything would look very much factory direct if that happened.

I'm inclined to believe the late in the year model run with next year's hood going on as that would've been in the works and it is more likely GM ran out of the original hood.
Wednesday, April 22, 2015 6:43 AM
Wayne Schiff wrote:there is also the possibility the car was in an accident, and when at the dealer body shop, the owner said they would like the new hood since it needed a hood anyway. Everything would look very much factory direct if that happened.

I'm inclined to believe the late in the year model run with next year's hood going on as that would've been in the works and it is more likely GM ran out of the original hood.

If you also look at this brochure it says there was no 4 speed available in 1987, yet I had a blue on blue 1987 Z24 with a 4 speed. I seriously think all of this could have been during the transition period between 86 and 87 which explains everything.
Wednesday, April 22, 2015 8:39 PM
I think on my many adventures with junkyarding I have come across some strange options on cars (ours) that I just was like it came with that?Like for instance I got a engine and trans and ecm from a 85 type 10 and while it had the same dash cluster and was a type 10 it had the cheaper upholstery and door panels.You would have thought if it was a said model they would all be the same or similar.Gm just changed things randomly it seems maybe midyear and we clearly figured out the odd changes as we all go looking for parts.I find the buick skyhawks had by far the coolest cluster as I am preparing to ship one to wayne that is just super nice.It has all the gauges and just well defined.On the sour side removing said cluster is far from easy more like a PIA!!! I will pop a pic of said cluster after this some fresh eyes can see it.

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 8:45 PM
The COOL cluster wayne will be getting in a couple of days.

Thursday, April 23, 2015 5:37 AM
What cluster is that? I can't say I've ever seen one. I still enjoyed the cluster in my 86 Buick Somerset...that was a nifty digital cluster.
Thursday, April 23, 2015 5:55 AM
nice looking cluster. im jealous, miy hawk has all the gauges exept the tach, just a blank circle in its place. NC must be salvage yard heaven.
Thursday, April 23, 2015 6:02 AM
john galt wrote:...NC must be salvage yard heaven.

Yet I have yet to find any...
Thursday, April 23, 2015 6:10 AM
John--you have the water temp, volt & oil pressure and no tach????? Now that I've never seen.

This cluster is a standard 80s GM cluster, used in various cars. My parents had a Cutlass Ciera with the same gauges; and I've seen it in other cars. I've always loved it, and the factory steering wheels were big enough that none of the gauges would be hidden. With my current GT wheel, I have to tilt my head to see the temp and volts.

While I have this IC, my needles aren't the orange with white tips, that comes from the T-type model. See, even a little thing like that, GM just did so many different things. Really ate into their profits.

Thursday, April 23, 2015 6:32 AM
I finally took a few interior pics and one of the engine. I'll post them up when I get time to transfer them to photobucket.
Thursday, April 23, 2015 7:00 AM
Some quick interior pics and one of the engine. I still have yet to do anything cleaning related.

Thursday, April 23, 2015 12:19 PM
wayne, here is my missing tach cluster

jason, if i didnt know any better i would think i was looking at pics of my car. almost identical, right down to the worn and faded steering wheel. the only differance i can see is the red stripes you have on the intake plenum
Thursday, April 23, 2015 1:00 PM
That is so weird, I've never seen that version on any car before.
Thursday, April 23, 2015 9:06 PM
Ok here are some pics of the same donor's cars steering wheel,yes this was a 1986 buick Skyhawk T-Type and I lustered this part and sold to 84conv.Jason your door panels are super Nice and I see your missing 2 wing nuts for the air cleaner at the cowl.I probably have some spare's I would just ship to you for FREE via us postal service to keep the cost Low.I will have to check my storage containers for hardware but,I know I should have those IN stock at my location of course.I will say the T type buicks were decked out nice with the interior features and exterior options as I got the front bucket seats as they were really solid and good back up's with nice headrest.Just resharing my finds and sells and info and yes nc does tend to have moments of finding really good parts on the 1st gen side.

Sunday, April 26, 2015 4:19 PM
Ron Love wrote: Ok here are some pics of the same donor's cars steering wheel,yes this was a 1986 buick Skyhawk T-Type and I lustered this part and sold to 84conv.Jason your door panels are super Nice and I see your missing 2 wing nuts for the air cleaner at the cowl.I probably have some spare's I would just ship to you for FREE via us postal service to keep the cost Low.I will have to check my storage containers for hardware but,I know I should have those IN stock at my location of course.I will say the T type buicks were decked out nice with the interior features and exterior options as I got the front bucket seats as they were really solid and good back up's with nice headrest.Just resharing my finds and sells and info and yes nc does tend to have moments of finding really good parts on the 1st gen side.

I may have those wingnuts Ron...the battery is out and I'm not sure what my dad removed to get it out of there. If I need them, I'll definitely let you know since you're the first gen guy.
Sunday, October 18, 2015 8:56 AM
Car is possibly for sale...PM me for details.
Saturday, January 14, 2017 2:30 PM
Car title has officially been found so now I can start getting it back up to snuff! What a headache the last year has been!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search