Painting on the '84 Bird...Finally - Page 4 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Painting on the '84 Bird...Finally
Sunday, February 14, 2016 6:47 PM
I finally broke down this year and paid for a 60 day trip through Carfax!

I got a real treat when I looked up the data on the '84 Pontiac. It is an original local car with original milage - now around 115k. 5 Owners, the coworker I got it from didn't have it but 6 months. The Clifton Forge location listed is about 10 miles east of here - the local DMV used to be located there back in the day. Gives some special meaning to the ole Bird now when I go for a spin!

Just a heads up about Carfax folks. If you pay for the unlimited feature - the unlimited only applies to using a plate identity to look up the vehicle - you only get 5 VIN look ups. I think that is a big ripoff since most people will use Carfax when they a car shopping and if you are browsing on a car lot you aren't going to have a Plate to look up the car with!

Sunday, February 14, 2016 8:47 PM
Interesting share.I can say my 85 has had two previous owners.1st was guy bought the car new in high point,nc kept sunny for 5 yrs and traded.My parents bought sunny for my sister in 1990 and fast forward I bought the car in 1998.Short easy history for me!I can't list anything out of the norm but,I do have all the done work from my sister's original file plus the spare keys as it had both from the get.I guess checking a car history if trade or sell often OR like to buy used for say good parts and really want to know the back history.

Saturday, February 04, 2017 6:07 PM
Winter is a great time for me to make some posts - not so busy.

It has been several years since I created this thread - in fact by May it will be 4 years. My how time flies by.

So how well does a $30 gallon paint hold up. Can you really get some use and protection out of this stuff??? Well here are some photos. I caught some warm weather and morning sun - both perfect for some discriminating photos.

Sides are flawless, my only problems have been the horizontal areas - mainly from periods of moisture that managed to sneak in when I wasn't looking. I finally tackled that problem with proper protection with car covers and tarps. It has been a learning process and I have enjoyed the journey.

Compared with the Wagon I leave out in the elements this paint job has been far less problematic. While there are a couple of areas in need of attention, this car has been trouble free. So on with the photos.

This car suffered with rust before I even acquired it. Hood , Top, and Trunklid was bad. I wound up replacing the Trunklid. The Top areas was severely pitted and this thick Enamel Paint really hid a lot sins. Rust has started showing up but it is not too bad, no blistering , no peeling.

Here is a sad photo of that top before I started painting it :

Overall with some distance the effect is not as noticable. Keep in mind this is car's 4th winter since painting.

The next 3 photos are of the nose area. There was concern that this paint may not adhere well to the flex plastic nose of the Pontiac. Photos speak a thousand words.

Here is the main area of heartburn - the hood. Luckily I picked up a spare hood with a lot of help from Ron Love.Having a spare allows a repaint and hood swap. Still, even with severe blistering the paint has not peeled. Amazed me!!

So there you have it. Cheap little $450 car with an under $200 paint job on it - at 3 1/2 years. Had the Pontiac since 2011.
Show car it isn't.
Fun car? You betcha!!

Tuesday, February 07, 2017 11:55 AM
**** I am reloading these post since I was having trouble with this album loading up on here off of Google Photos. For years I used Picasa Web and had no problems with it till Google took the site over. Since then it has slowly become more and more like AOL,US Cellular,and WalMart. So now I have went with Photo Bucket which surprisingly has gotten better over the same time. Thanks for the patience and sorry about the Snafus.

Winter is a great time for me to make some posts - not so busy.

It has been several years since I created this thread - in fact by May it will be 4 years. My how time flies by.

So how well does a $30 gallon paint hold up. Can you really get some use and protection out of this stuff??? Well here are some photos. I caught some warm weather and morning sun - both perfect for some discriminating photos.

Sides are flawless, my only problems have been the horizontal areas - mainly from periods of moisture that managed to sneak in when I wasn't looking. I finally tackled that problem with proper protection with car covers and tarps. It has been a learning process and I have enjoyed the journey.

Compared with the Wagon I leave out in the elements this paint job has been far less problematic. While there are a couple of areas in need of attention, this car has been trouble free. So on with the photos.

This car suffered with rust before I even acquired it. Hood , Top, and Trunklid was bad. I wound up replacing the Trunklid. The Top areas was severely pitted and this thick Enamel Paint really hid a lot sins. Rust has started showing up but it is not too bad, no blistering , no peeling.

Here is a sad photo of that top before I started painting it :

Overall with some distance the effect is not as noticable. Keep in mind this is car's 4th winter since painting.

The next 3 photos are of the nose area. There was concern that this paint may not adhere well to the flex plastic nose of the Pontiac. Photos speak a thousand words... (When they load)

Here is the main area of heartburn - the hood. Luckily I picked up a spare hood with a lot of help from Ron Love.Having a spare allows a repaint and hood swap. Still, even with severe blistering the paint has not peeled. Amazed me!!

So there you have it. Cheap little $450 car with an under $200 paint job on it - at 3 1/2 years. Had the Pontiac since 2011.
Show car it isn't.
Fun car? You betcha!!

Wednesday, February 08, 2017 3:29 PM
My black Rustoleum oil based only holds up about 6 months in the the beat down sun down here ,the Rustolem 2X spray can is still good after 2 years. Both with no wax.

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Saturday, March 11, 2017 6:19 AM

You did a good job Orlen ! I like the colour you choose and also the red line is just perfect for that car,

Pierre
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search