88 Sunbird GT fuel injector leaking - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
88 Sunbird GT fuel injector leaking
Wednesday, March 15, 2017 8:28 AM
Hey everyone, I recently bought an 88 GT vert sun-bird Turbo that had been sitting for about 12 years, anyway, I got it running ( runs great) but one the injectors is weeping a bit out of the intake. My question is do I HAVE to take the intake off to get them out? Looking at the fuel rail and injectors they look like you should just be able to unbolt the rail and pull them out, but, there are 2 bars that come down on each side of the fuel rail that seem to connect to the under side (back) of the intake, and if there are bolts on them, look impossible to get to with out taking off the intake. Thanks, Roger.

Re: 88 Sunbird GT fuel injector leaking
Tuesday, March 21, 2017 8:52 AM
I don't think so, but I have only dealt with the port injected version and I know there are a few differences in the rail and intake. I'm not sure which bars you're talking about on the ends - I'm guessing that's what holds it down - the non turbo ones face forward and are easy to get at so, remove the two bolts that attach to the rail to hold it down and then the rail can slide up. Well slide is probably optimistic; usually if it hasn't been off it has to be pried up because it's caked on. The throttle body is close also and I think I remember it barely clearing it, however I don't think the turbo rail is as bulky as the extruded aluminum one they used on the non turbos so it may clear better.

• 86 Skyhawk wagon : 2.0SOHC swap, Megasquirt, 20SEH cam
• 93 Sunbird sedan : 2.0SOHC, Microsquirt, ported head, 10:1
• 88 Sunbird coupe : 2.0SOHC, turbo project car, giant tires
Tuesday, March 21, 2017 9:50 AM
Thanks drivesa5, I got it allready, on the 1.8 it is much easier to get to the bolts of the fuel rail on the two bars that go down and bolt to the manifold, on the two liter motor the bolts are not exposed, you have to get to them from underneath the intake coming in from by the firewall area. It is almost an impossible job but I was able to do it and replace the fuel injector already. I had to duct tape the bolts to the socket to replace the 2 bolts that go on the two bars coming off of the fuel injector rail that bolt under the intake. Thanks, Roger.
Wednesday, March 22, 2017 4:18 AM
Nice, glad you got it!

• 86 Skyhawk wagon : 2.0SOHC swap, Megasquirt, 20SEH cam
• 93 Sunbird sedan : 2.0SOHC, Microsquirt, ported head, 10:1
• 88 Sunbird coupe : 2.0SOHC, turbo project car, giant tires
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search