Heater Core Hoses for 84 Sunbird - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Heater Core Hoses for 84 Sunbird
Monday, July 10, 2017 12:11 PM
Having troubles sourcing correct heater core hoses for the '84 J2000 Sunbird with 1.8 Brazil OHC with A/T and A/C.

So far I've already obtained the Starter, and Rack & Pinion and about half of the various Motor and Tranny Mounts. Have a good spare head and all double all the various gaskets and head bolts. Have found a great deal on the correct Heater Core on EBay - thanks to a wonderful post by Paul and Don Krasniak!!! This Post has been a life saver!

Everything is coming together except for the mystery heater hoses. Hoping someone might have the magic number to punch up on EBay. One thing I have discovered is that the Turbo engine has a different heater hose - probably since the intake Man is a different design.

Re: Heater Core Hoses for 84 Sunbird
Monday, July 10, 2017 4:50 PM
http://www.tonkinonlineparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?q=854895&ukey_make=1092&ukey_model=15786&modelYear=1984&ukey_category=22482

Orlen , they look like standard heater hoses that the black plastic accordion sleeves go on top help with bends. Just like on my 92 OHC.

LH8 is the non turbo motor.LA5 is the turbo version. Yours look like numbers 6 and 7 in the diagram.

None are available no matter what site I tried. ( either ones 1,2 6,7)

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Monday, July 10, 2017 5:20 PM
Sorry try now!

Doug in P.R,
Attachments
910221MJ08-025.JPG (102k)

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Monday, July 10, 2017 5:27 PM
Part numbers

1) 14069160

2) 14052467

3) 10024078

4) 10024077

Doug in P..R.

Monday, July 10, 2017 6:27 PM
6 and 7 in the diagram are 3 and 4 part #s. in the list above. ( sorry can't edit old posts)

Doug in P.R.

Monday, July 10, 2017 9:05 PM
Tired I am but will dig on this more later.I will say 92bird is correct on two of the oem hose numbers. First is 14052476 and 2nd is 14069160.I have checked some online but nothing just yet.The normal auto stores just will not stock this as the age of the car today.Let me research it more when I am not well tired I did spend some time to look at my sites I know gm specific to get my info.R

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 10:25 AM
Thanks for the hard work & input!

Doug you hit a homer with one of them. A quick check on EBay with 10024078 crossed referenced to a Dayco 88361 which is exactly like the hose in the bottom photo ( Even though it says it isn't a match). I will need to make sure that particular hose is 3/4 id

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=gates+88361&_sop=15&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=gates+10024078&_sacat=0

The 2nd one didn't work out so well - 10024077 which is described as the heater inlet hose. I am still looking for this one.

It is amazing how many times I have typed in a part number on EBay and automatically the correct part under a different number will pop up!

I am sure out there somewhere the 2nd hose is available under some brand. Doesn't make sense that one is available and the other is nOT.

I also found a bit better diagram too.

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 9:23 PM
http://www.daycoproducts.com/parts?category_id=1084&year=1986&make=8&modeltype=1&model=209&description=11838 See IF this helps?I did do some digging and nothing on the oem parts yet..I did use the 1986 as it is about the same in design and unless you want to check this site and be more specific on your year I doubt anything will pop.I do not think these hose's are pre-formed.But you may have to go this route with a straight hose and make it work worst case.They do not show pics btw.I am really digging on the subject!!!!

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 2:31 PM
Thanks Ron!!

This site confirms hose diameters - a real help there!

I had to laugh at the 71415 hose - looks just like a question mark ???

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xhose+.TRS0&_nkw=hose+71415&_sacat=0

On to productivity - Retrieved my prize today. One 1984 Pontiac Sunbird heater core:

Got a feeling the heater hoses are 33 years old!!

I have had experience now with heater core on 1st Gen.,2nd Gen., 3rd Gen. cavaliers and 1st Gen. Sunbird. The Sunbird is hands down the easiest of the bunch! Worst hands down is the 3rd Gen - horrible design.

Here is the current state of the poor ole Sunbird today! I am planning on painting under the hood while I got all this stuff out of the way - too tempting an opportunity!! Gotta pull the blower box off and clean everything up a little and it will be time to start painting and repairing!!

Thursday, August 03, 2017 10:54 AM
More good news!!

While I haven't ordered any hoses , I FINALLY got off my butt and got that hard to find heater core. The replacement is very close, but not exactly the same as the original. Input/Output tubes are about 3/8" closer together than the old one and the replacement tank itself is about the same amount shorter. I am confidant , thought the replacement will fit up just fine with a wee bit of wiggle to get through the firewall.

I am considering creating a special post listing the photos for referencing and listing the part numbers for anyone that may come across here looking for heater core information for a Sunbird. Can't help but wonder if the Olds and Buick Models could have yet another style core since they have a completely different Dash Assembly....

The Ebay Photo you HOPE is the real thing....

That moment of thruth?

2 of a kind!!

Saturday, August 05, 2017 10:17 AM
Have you tried RockAuto.com ??
I have found quite a few rare items with them.

87 RS Convertible - 2.8V6 - 3-Speed Auto, Digital Dash - Complete LED / HID Conversion - Alarm/Keyless Entry

Monday, August 21, 2017 8:31 AM
Well it is with great pleasure I finally get to say the NEW Heater Core is installed. Many years back I started asking about the core not knowing I had a blown head gasket, and thinking of simpler problems. Since I the issue was combustion gases entering the cooling system I felt more secure replacing the core while I had all this mess torn down - so easy to get to!

Thanks to all who've had their input over the years - I have poured over the information countless times!

So as you can see - it fits like a glove!! :-)

More progress regarding the heater hoses.....

Again, since everything is torn down I decided to buy several feet of 5/8" and 3/4" heater hose and see , just for grins & giggles , what stock hose might look like mocked up.
To my surprise it fitted up extremely well, and I am planning on simply using the stock instead of the preformed special order stuff . I never could locate the 5/8" inlet hose anyways , which led me to seriously consider the straight stuff in the end. So here is a few photos just in case anyone might be in the neighborhood and wanting to replace those hoses in the future.

This is the 3/4" Outlet hose and straight hose length I used.

And this is the 5/8" inlet hose and the straight hose length I used.

.......the journey continues.

Thursday, September 21, 2017 5:48 PM
Great project - even better that it is in the rear view!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search