Sunny's work has begun!!! - Page 2 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Sunny's work has begun!!!
Wednesday, February 26, 2014 1:40 AM
Go Mr. Love Go!

Enjoying this thread - Love that yellow, gives me hope the 4ft of snow in front of my home will melt soon'ish...

Happy 2014 Sunny!

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 8:21 AM
I had an idea pop in my head regarding your situation and wanted to share. Since you don't drive Sunny often and much of your problems seem to be associated with sour fuel maybe a drain on your tank might be good for you, If you could get a new tank while you are at it and have someone drill out the bottom and weld in a threaded fitting you could install whatever kind of drain valve you like at a local hardware store. I suggest a new tank since welding on a used one isn't a good idea...LoL.
In the fall all you'd need to do is raise Sunny and open the drain and remove all that fuel so it won't sit in there and get nasty over the winter. Heck, you could even fix this up so you can run a hose off the valve and conveniently fill up a gas can or 2 - then use this in your yard equipment.
I'd like to do this with my Sunbird myself since it is quickly turning into a garage queen itself.

Just an ole Country Boy idea Ron. Some folks like to keep gas tanks full to prevent rusting so this might not work for you.

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 8:36 AM
Love the country boy engineering Orlen!
Wednesday, February 26, 2014 8:59 PM
Ok got side tracked today but I did have some hardware I needed to track down once I reinstall the tank.I have everything NOW!Tommorrow I plan on setting up the fuel pump and install it,then strip and sand the filler neck tube and primer and paint.I hope to have the stuff finished late thurs and buy some 93 octane about 2 gallons.Orlen I seriously considered installing a drain valve in the tank but,I plan on making a point to idle sunny at least 30 minutes a month in the garage and keep no more than 2 gallons in the tank.Since the car stays indoors rust and elements are not a problem.My tank as you saw was super clean just nasty old gas.I will snap pics in the daylight with my parts and list each item even though it pertains to my car specific.I will say the filler neck hose applies TO ALL jbody 1st gens.This is sold only at napa and in 3 foot lengths and cost 54.00.I am really stoked about getting this corrected and get my safety hopefully Friday then the rear end restoration begins! I am shying away from any other work for people till I get my rear work complete as this has waited too long already.My time issue will primer and paint on the fuel neck as the pump sender hook up is cake walk.Thanks for the support and suggestions from all.It would have been done already if the 1st supplier for the sending unit had not fell thru like a week back(it happens) but gosh.R

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 10:20 PM
Hope to see her on the road soon!

http://www.autorentalandsales.com/images/2004Cavalier005.JPG
Thursday, February 27, 2014 11:43 PM
[IMG][URL=http://s1088.photobucket.com/user/1987oldschoolmaz/media/DSC01205_zpsc90e6f96.jpg.html]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i338/1987oldschoolmaz/DSC01201_zps4db2a833.jpg[/IMG][/URL]I can't summarized the parts list just yet.However new sender is in,fuel tank was mildly cleaned no paint want that original rough look.I polished out the tank straps and fuel fill neck and all new hoses for lines,and filler hose and over flow hose.New clamps on everything.On the wiring harness the new sender was really short so added about two ft with yes NEW wiring and butt connectors and heat shrunk all 6 hook up points.I will detail things more Friday as I am wiped out.Between polishing out the straps and fuel neck using the fine brushes in the pic and then polished by hand with the blue magic metal polish cream (the by far is the BEST product for literally any metal) and fitting the hoses,and adjusting things etc.I may do a short video on the how to remove,reinstall and quick summory and post on youtube later.I really worked my rear off today and even went to my moms to hook my actron scanner up to decode the codes for her 97 lumina so they can fix it.Tired one Jbody dude I am.RoN with the 85 funalier.

Friday, February 28, 2014 8:43 PM
Ok now the list of parts that are particular to my 85.Fuel pump ac delco EP386 had all the normal items needed.Fuel filter fram G3727,Strainer ac delco TS-6.The fuel filler neck hose sold in 3ft lengths at napa (soley) NEH1030.The fuel sender was a spectra FG11E and this is a part listed for a 86 same tank,same engine just the dash cluster is different.So the total includes the misc clamps I bought,and small fuel line and the overflow on the filler neck.Total spent 265.66 tax included and I did all the work.I did not fuel it up today had to run errands and will focus my attention back on the car next wed for the final fill of fuel,leaks and hope everything goes fine.Then get ready for the 1 mile ride for the safety and back and back up on jackstands for step 2!! I chose to polish out the filler neck and straps over paint bc paint scratches up and the shiny factor is 100% better and since the car sits inside no fear on the rusty action on the metal.I spent several hours thurs working to get each step perfect and the filler neck hose was timely to get the right cut length for no kinks.Just glad to have it back together and satisfied with the outcome so far.Done for now.

Saturday, March 01, 2014 4:42 PM
Looks great Ron! Wish I could keep my J's that clean.

Mine looks an Exxon Valdez survivor!

Saturday, March 01, 2014 10:45 PM
Thanks and as I take step two on the other work I may refresh some of the axle paint it's good just dusty from sitting.I do have a boat load of parts to replace back there in the house just waiting.Long day and def tired.

Tuesday, March 04, 2014 7:11 PM
Wonderful job Ron!! I bet you really enjoyed getting under ole Sunny for a spell.

I'm glad you didn't polish up the gas tank and exhaust like those straps and filler pipe.......I would start getting a wee bit worried.....LoL. Just Kidding. Curious to see how the gas gauge reads. You could add gas 1/4 tankful (4gal. ?) at a time and see what the gauge says.

It really looks great under there Ron!!

Wednesday, March 05, 2014 1:09 AM
Thanks orlen.I started late Thursday cleaning things up as the previous two wks the weather did not permit me scrubbing outside and just too wet.I figured the straps and filler neck needed some refreshing and at first was going to paint the the parts.I decided against this as they could get all scratched up.I was hoping to get sunny inspected this week but,idk the weather is still calling for wet late wed,and thurs so I may postpone till next week when dry for sure.I still have to go buy some fresh gas 93 octane and just two gallons.I am in super late this AM and worn out 15 hr day and 542 miles up to warrenton va and gainsville va.Once I have lots of sleep I will be better.Monday was a migraine driving back from fredricksburg the snow and sleet and gosh a long day.At least the time changes this wkend and warmer temps yeah.

Wednesday, March 05, 2014 7:41 PM
looks great!

Wednesday, March 05, 2014 10:19 PM
Looking good!!!!

http://www.autorentalandsales.com/images/2004Cavalier005.JPG
Thursday, March 06, 2014 10:56 PM
Thanks guys for the continued support.Step 2 will follow upon sunny inspection and more shiny new parts just waiting to put in.I have sidelined my own ride to fix other cars,and projects but,no more extra duties unless really required to get the rear end items done and save money for the front end updates(more $ for struts) and etc.

Thursday, March 20, 2014 9:20 PM
http://s1088.photobucket.com/user/1987oldschoolmaz/media/3-21-2014/M4H01223_zps4595dcee.mp4.html OK guys I finally got the car up and running!!!!!! And yes runs smooth no leaks so far and gas gauge officially works NOW.So in short for those who have the 84 models I really do not see any reason why you could not just upgrade to the 1986 yr sending unit and the hook up is gravy to do.The only thing is the harness wires are different in color not black and grey but no big deal and I did have to add about two feet of extra wiring nice new stuff,connected,heat shrunk the ends and all is cherry.IF you have any further questions I will elaborate on the sending unit stuff.I did my homework and it appears I got the hunch it would work as I planned.

Friday, March 21, 2014 5:09 AM
Now there's a great sound Glad everything's working good, we'll all keep our fingers crossed for ya.

Friday, March 21, 2014 10:17 AM
"Ethanol free gas" Ha I liked that part of the video. There is only one fuel station within 30 miles around here that sells ethanol free gas anymore :/

Friday, March 21, 2014 2:00 PM
EXCELLENT!!!

Friday, March 21, 2014 5:01 PM
Good to hear your cavalier is running.

Friday, March 21, 2014 6:52 PM
"Sunny is allergic to Dirty Water!!! " - I Loved It!!

Can't blame you at all - I've gotten so picky with the Pontiac I get all upset if it gets caught in the rain.......silly ME!

Loved the Video and sooooo glad to see ole Sunny Running!

2014 Pretty Weather isn't very far away- Lots Of Fun J-Body Adventures are Coming!!!

Friday, March 21, 2014 10:03 PM
Thanks guys.I took sunny all of one mile up the road for the inspection.Done it is and NOW can focus on my actual restoration work planned.I won't go into to much detail now but,I think I want to make a short video to explain the fuel sending unit install and or explanation of the hook up.I will say the wiring to the fuel pump has different colored wires but not complicated or confusing.I will say anything under 1985 has ZERO for a fuel sender listing(no longer made).It took me about few minutes to hook up the pump,however the harness for the outside to plug in towards the trunk is wayyy short.I did not have time to make a video of this this week.So to take some concerns out now,your normal fuel pump wires are normally grey/black the new sender has blue and red .Black is always ground and cupcake to hook up.The blue is the hot (I may change this being slightly tired).Anyway IT is really easy to do.So if your year is mine or older you do have a option and not hard to update.I will take some time next week to use my old part and explain in a minute or two for your reference.I am happy sunny ran great shifts are tight but that is the shifter needing some cleaning and grease on the ball joint shift point being a manual car.This car has front and center on my to do as long as no side tracking problems with other peoples cars I sure hope so.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 10:50 PM
I am taking a break this week from the cavalier.I was just worn out after the last 4 days of driving and have some real to do's around the house.I tried to get a extra day this week but,vac time was filled up so no go.Now next week I will see.I have my map of things to do and in short fix the radio harness back to the factory plug in and add the aftermarket adaptor to make it correct.Next is fix my shifter for tight hard shifts.Then tackle the rear end with too many parts I care to list.In short when the original radio was yanked and updated the original plug was cut and gone(errrrrrrrrrrrrrr).I have a oem plug in and will use new terminals and do it nice and neat and hook up with a adaptor to plug in and do it the right way!I realize it has no effect on the radio but for me it is just knowing it was done backa-- wards and want it stock on hook up.I also did not do the video of the fuel sender YET.I am thinking that idea out some and want it short and on point just have not decided as a youtube thing just yet or photobucket.

Saturday, October 28, 2017 9:47 AM
Found my old post mike.Some pics might not show now but the information on the fuel pump is there.They No longer list fuel pumps for the 85's but the 86 is identical you just have to add about 2 feet of wiring to make the harness reach and I am rusty in the recall.I suggest using at least 10 or 12 wiring from napa and butt connect and heat shrink the connections.I kept the original oem 3 prong plugs and kept it clean and easy to undo if my pump fails again one day.Hope this helps.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search