Over 1500 kms and 22.5 hrs... - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Over 1500 kms and 22.5 hrs...
Sunday, December 03, 2017 11:49 AM
That's what it took to go get a T-type interior and some other bits..

It sounds pretty stupid when I put it that way. lol

The problem is it's VERY difficult to find Skyhawk parts around here. I really didn't think I would have this much trouble finding parts for my recently acquired Skyhawk. To be honest it's FAR easier to find parts for my 1973 Datsun 240Z than it is to find J-Body Skyhawk parts.

Anyway, there's a franchise of self service automotive parts picking yards called Kenny U Pull. Well, they put all of the cars they have in their yards onlijne at their website. The ONLY Skyhawk listed was 787 kms away in another province, and the only thing I knew about it was that it was white, and a coupe, and looked to be a T-Type, likely turbo, due to the hood. No other other information provided and the phone number goes to a call center, who said that no one at the yard in question can or would go out and give a quick report on the condition of the car. Sad So it was a 1500 km crap shoot to go and see what was left. They did say that if it's still on the site, the car is still there, so there was that. It could have been almost completely stripped when I got there though.

Luckily it wasn't stripped...

What I found was a non turbo T-Type, with what I though was a turbo only hood, but it seems it may have been T-Type package item, since this car looks like it never had a turbo. The cluster doesn't have a boost gauge, and the wiring and other bits that would have needed to be swapped to replace a turbo engine with the N/A version all looked untouched.

I was REALLY hoping that would have AC, because I need some Skyhawk/Firenza specific parts to convert my car to have AC. Unfortunately it did not have AC. I was also hoping that it would be manual trans, so that a few manual specific parts could be had, again unfortunately it was not. Womp womp..

It did have the almost complete T-Type interior though, it DID have.

I took almost EVERYTHING from the interior, It was missing the center console and arm rest. The only bits left were broken plastics, a few plastics I knew I'd never use (or mine are in better shape), and plastics that I couldn't get out due to rusted over screws, and not wanting to spend the time to try and remove them. I had already been up for about 9 or 10 hours and driven almost 800 kms by then. I didn't have the patience to mess around, especially in 1 degree weather.

I also grabbed the right tail light, hood, the trunk release solenoid and latch, the 1/4 windows, seals and sunroof glass. So if anyone needs the 1/4 windows and and/or sunroof glass, let me know, I can't use them, so they are for sale. I couldn't leave them there.
Attachments
T-Type01.jpg (1316k)
KUPWebsite.PNG (385k)

Re: Over 1500 kms and 22.5 hrs...
Sunday, December 03, 2017 11:51 AM
How the interior was when I found it...
Attachments
T-Type02.jpg (1250k)

Sunday, December 03, 2017 11:51 AM
My Parts Haul:
Attachments
T-Type10.jpg (1397k)

Sunday, December 03, 2017 11:52 AM
There was this fridge there as well... looks to be inspired by the T-Type interior. lol
Attachments
T-TypeFridge.jpg (1248k)

Sunday, December 03, 2017 4:15 PM
Very Enjoyable read and photos!!

My God I bet you were super TIRED!! You got the dedication my friend - so glad you had some good parts to score after your long drive!!

It looks as if you had not been there this car might have not been saved of much anything at all! I believe the J-Body fans are getting as rare as the cars themselves nowadays. Those wheels look almost like Pontiac Alloys. Don't remember seeing those on a Buick. Do you still have your Pontiac too?

I gotta admit I have a crazy cache of J-Body parts myself - so glad to have them as it is getting crazy hard to find parts cars.

Well I guess I will be the first to ask you if you got the Fridge too?? I saw it was on a wagon too and it was awfully close to your parts pile

Sunday, December 03, 2017 4:59 PM
wow - well done!

Sunday, December 03, 2017 6:17 PM
That interior actually looks to be in nice shape.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Sunday, December 03, 2017 7:18 PM
I was a bit tired. I had one quick 20 minute nap... well eye rest, it was one of those almost asleep, but not really naps, on the way back. I really didn't sleep much the night before either, because I decided last minute to go and needed to gather tools and prep for the trip, so I had about a 2 hour nap before going. *shrug*

Those are Pontiac wheels, which is why they look like Pontiac wheels. LOL

No, I don't have the Sunbird anymore, that's the one car I wish I kept. I started a RWD conversion, then some life things happened and I had no time to work on it, so it got scrapped. *cry*. I wish I would have found some place to have stored it for a few years. :/

haha, no I didn't buy the fridge. no need for it, and no way to get it back anyway. lol

yes, the interior is in far better shape than I would have expected.
Attachments
T-Type14.jpg (1387k)

Sunday, December 03, 2017 7:19 PM
Yup
Attachments
T-Type15.jpg (1467k)

Monday, December 04, 2017 7:28 AM
Nice haul there. If removing the dash is anything like it is on the 95-2005 Cavs that was quite the accomplishment!

Well done indeed!

Though they look good, hopefully the seats smell OK too.

I don't think that I have seen a Skyhawk at all other than what's on this site in at least 15 years, similar and maybe longer even for the Olds Firenza. I have seen Cavs and J2000s and even Cimarrons though.

I always remember the Skyhawks for the fancy luggage racks on the trunks that I would see back in the 80s. I also remember seeing them in the cities decked out with curb feelers to protect the wheels.

Brian
Monday, December 04, 2017 1:05 PM
Yeah, that hood is not just for turbos; I think it started on only turbos, but then became part of the T-type package.

Great haul!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search