Type 10 Cracked Dash - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Type 10 Cracked Dash
Thursday, December 05, 2019 8:08 AM
Been a long time - don't know who even frequents here nowadays, but I thought I'd give it a try....

I'm seriously gonna try to pick up an '85 Cavalier Type 10 from a family member of one of my co-workers. I have personally inspected the body and it is rust free. I was originally after the car for the drive train for the Wagon - that engine was only made in that configuration for just 2 years ('85 - '86) and very lucky to come across this. I have reason to believe the car has fairly low miles and changed my plans to putting it on the road - that way I can keep it running and get a little use out of it. Now the issue I am concerned with is the dash is toast. It is a Type 10 dash and I am wanting to find a dash cover for this specific kind. The carpet - kind will do me just fine. Probably the Z24's have the same basic type of dash as well. If anyone happens across this and has been there - done that, please drop a post and share your story

Here is an example of the dash in question. My case isn't as terrible , but it isn't pretty by far.

Re: Type 10 Cracked Dash
Thursday, December 05, 2019 11:03 AM
Orlen, Did you try www.covercraft.com?

Based in AZ. ( I remember them when we lived there, still have the one in my Silverado, dash is still perfect.)

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Friday, December 06, 2019 8:59 AM
My problem is the type of dash I need the cover for. Chevrolet made 2 different dash designs that year. I wanted to know if anyone had actually bought one specifically for the type 10 dash. All of the photos for the pads are just a generic dash and don't show you the actual thing. I fret that there really is just one design out there and it isn't for the Type 10 dash design. Maybe someone has actually bought one for a Type 10 and found it was the correct fit. I'd hate to buy half a dozen and constantly get the wrong one or be try to be told there was only one type of dash.

Saturday, December 07, 2019 3:25 AM
I know there used to be dash covers for the Type10/Z24 style dash. No idea who made them, but a coworker of mine had one years ago. In fact I seem to recall seeing a few of them, way back then. They were carpet type. Maybe call customer service of the place you saw one. They made be the ones that made them back in the day.
Another option is to get one custom made. A trim shop in you area should be able to do one at a reasonable price. Is the interior Medium Beechwood, code I66? If so, you might not be able to find that color of carpet. You can get headliner material in it though. Not sure about vinyl or leather.
Saturday, December 07, 2019 5:41 AM
Check with Coverking. They asked if you have a Type-10 or Sedan. This leads me to believe they make covers for both dashes. I also found that CARiD is like $10.00 less than buying direct from Coverking. They also ask what Submodel you have. I've ordered from CARiD a few times and they have been great! I ordered a Coverking custom fit car cover from them. It was made and shipped from Coverking but was quite a bit less going through CARiD. Also bought some custom Lloyd floor mats through them, also cheaper than buying straight from Lloyd. So, CARiD does pass on their dealer discount to their customers, by offering the same products at a discounted price.

Anyway, good luck.
Saturday, December 07, 2019 4:27 PM
Thank You Butch!

I checked CoverKing and they indeed seem to know their stuff! The price is very reasonable too. I sure do appreciate your post and recollections. Trying to source much anything for something 35 years old these day takes patience and knowledge.

I warms my heart to see J-Body is still doing what it did a decade ago, mainly because there are still great folks dedicated to these good ole cars!

..........................we still have everything in the sig below too

Saturday, December 07, 2019 5:00 PM
Orlen Brown wrote:Thank You Butch!
You're quite welcome, my pleasure.

Orlen Brown wrote:..........................we still have everything in the sig below too
And about to add a Type-10 to them. Hope everything goes smooth with the deal.
Thursday, January 02, 2020 4:54 PM
Hi Orlen,
Great to see you are still hanging out here on jbody. Still have the blue j vert. Have it home for the winter in the cover-it garage.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search