Parts interchangablilty between 1st and second generation wagon - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Parts interchangablilty between 1st and second generation wagon
Tuesday, August 25, 2020 6:18 AM
Hi, new registrant to your forum here. I picked up a 1989 Cavalier wagon (running, good condition and low mileage) from a scrapyard a few months back in hopes of using it to fix up a second one (cant register it because title is junked.) I've been browsing Copart and the insurance auction sites waiting for another wagon to pop up and last night I got lucky and one came up It doesn't look to be in bad condition, but I'm wondering which parts would be interchangeable from this one, a first generation and my '89, a second generation. From what I can see the interiors look nearly identical aside from the seats and the body panels all look the same as well. The engine is a bit different I know, it looks to be an earlier version of the same 2.0L 4 cyl engine that's in my 1989. What I would be interested in swapping over from the '89 to the 86:

-I like the front fascia and bumper designs of the newer one a bit better
-Would the engine/trans from the '89 swap into the '86 without an unreasonable amount of modification assuming the '86 doesn't run?
-The ignition and key cylinder from the '89 to the '86 as it doesn't come with keys

In general it looks super clean and I don't see any body damage which is what I'm looking for. If anyone could provide me some insight into what the differences between the 1st and 2nd gen cavaliers actually are that would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Parts interchangablilty between 1st and second generation wagon
Tuesday, August 25, 2020 7:34 AM
The engine swap will likely work okay, since you'll have everything from both of them, including wiring, if needed. The key cylinders are the same. Not sure about the fenders and front fascia, but again having all the parts from the 2nd gen, will probably allow you to make it work. The hood latch system is different, that I know for sure. However, the 2nd gen latch can be put on the 1st. You'll have to use the hood off the 2nd gen, of course. I believe it is probably pretty a straight forward bolt on, for the most part. Just a lot removed from the 1st, and replaced with the 2nd. Contact Orlen Brown and/or Frank D on this site. They both know 1st and 2nd gen and will likely know for sure what will/won't work.

Good luck
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search