"Not running Right" Update - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
"Not running Right" Update
Thursday, March 03, 2005 9:39 PM
Well it looks like the #5 injector isn't firing. The plug is completely carbon fouled after a few min of running. ?The other problem that has shown up is all of the plug electrode tips are white. So I'm thinking it is either the harness which cracked and was re-pinned.
Or the injectores are just crapping out. It just seems odd that all of the injectors would be doing it at once. Well I'm on my way to Autozone to purchase a noid light to test the harness. If anyone has any ideas just let me know.

Re: "Not running Right" Update
Friday, March 04, 2005 5:55 PM
I just replaced my harness and now I have all six cylinders running, instead of 5. The harness was hard and brittle. My plugs were just like what you're saying. I would definately look into checking your fuel pressure. It has a big effect on how your ECM and injectors work. The regulator is vacuum compensated depending on the load you put on the engine. Mine just started to leak, so you know what I'll be doing tommorrow. If your regulator is not working properly, you'll be running lean (white tip), rich (black carbon), or both lean and rich like mine (white tip and black carbon deposits around the base). My regulator isn't keeping a steady pressure. Mine is bouncing back and forth between low and high pressure. I can see this on my scanner. The ECM adjusts to what it sees through the oxygen sensor. When the pressure is low, the ECM is trying to increase the injector pulse to get the right mixture and when it is high, the ECM decreases the injector pulse to get the right mixture. Normal BLM number is 128 for fuel, mine will go to 153 (adding fuel) when the pressure is low and within a few minutes, it's all the way down to 111 (taking fuel out) when the pressure increases. All of this is at idle even. I hope this all makes sense. I do alot of custom tuning for my engine in my truck and this is the same type of thing I had to work through for quite awhile. If you have any questions, I will give it a shot..
Monday, March 07, 2005 11:22 PM
Great advise actually. What kind of scanner are you using to check you pressure?
Tuesday, March 08, 2005 1:52 AM
I have a fuel pressure guage that I bought down the ole Autozone that attaches to the port on the fuel rail. I use an Autoxray ECM scanner that plugs into the ALDL connector under the dash. I replaced the regulator and those BLM numbers have evened out. I run around 119 to 131, which is alot better (128 is the norm). It definately runs better, but I still have a small hesitation or bog when quickly hitting the throttle.
Thursday, March 17, 2005 11:21 PM
I tested resistance , and the injectors are all at 119 at 200 on the meter. Noid light shows harness good. Now I removed the EGR from the equation and bypass the MAP sensor vacuum line to the main coming off the manifold. The power is better. It still lags a little at WOT. But I'm still burning plugs (tips are white) after running for a couple of minutes. I think that is where my major problem lies. I think its leaning out but I don't know whats causing it.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search