no power after head replacement - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
no power after head replacement
Thursday, March 10, 2005 7:01 PM
I have an '85 Cav with a 2.0 OHV. A few weeks ago I found out that I had a cracked head so I ordered a remaned one and now I have it on.

Anyway the problem is, I have no power. It starts and idle's fine but when I take off it wants to bog down to the point it can barely make it up a hill. I have triple-checked the valve adjustment and checked the timing I dont know how many times and all of it is right on. The car ran just fine before I did this work so i'm sure it's something under the hood. I have seen msg's about replacing the fuel filter and such but I did that when I replaced the pump and screen about a month ago. It has a new cap & rotor, wires & plugs. The only thing I notice a little funny is there a brown ring now on the bottom of the ceramic right where it goes into the metal part on #2. On the outside part of the plug. I did put a small amt of antiseize on each plug.

Sometimes when it's cold it will idle fine for about 20sec, then the idle will slow down and it will almost die, then rev back up to normal idle. It might do this for a few mins. Don't know if this would have anything to do with it.

Oh yea, i've checked for vacuum problems and leaks. None found.

Thanks,
Dayton

Re: no power after head replacement
Thursday, March 10, 2005 8:04 PM
Ok to start is the fuel injector the original?IF so is it working properly meaning going from lean to rich and not just dumping fuel.IF it appears ok rule that out.Second have u ever cleaned or checked the EGR valve if its gummed up with carbon it causes the pintal to stick and will effect the power of the car.To clean it just remove it and use a wire brush and carb cleaner and make sure the pintal and rubber diaphram inside it are in good condition.Third u may have a clogged up catalytic convertor that is blocked up with carbon and will literally kill ALL power regardless of any work done to the engine.IF the cat is really old or the original I highly recomm replacing it and the muffler too since all the crap from the convertor blows straight into the muffler and will clog it up as well.Make sure u have proper fuel pressure 9-13 psi I believe on our 2.0s just as well even tho u replaced the pump to rule that out.That's a few things to consider and check based on my knowledge and ur post.Just let us know what u find once u have checked the above or corrected.I hope this is useful and may others correct or add anything I may have left off to assist u.

Thursday, March 10, 2005 8:23 PM
The cat was replaced along with the muffler about 6 months ago. It was busted up and clogged. I didn't clean the EGR valve out but I will check that out tomorrow. The injector is orginal and it seems to be working okay and the fuel pressure is good (it was around 13).

The only other update I have is that I went to drive it out to the garage because we are supposed to have snow tonight, and it missed like none-other, idleing and moving it. So i'm guessing it's something in the ignition but I dont know.

I'm also going to take the plugs out tomorrow and see if maybe the antiseize is preventing them from sparking right. I'm stumped..

Dayton
Friday, March 11, 2005 2:59 PM
Check your compression.

Saturday, March 12, 2005 5:28 PM
130lbs across the board. Went ahead and checked vacuum too, 18lbs.

Dayton
Saturday, March 12, 2005 8:40 PM
Check the timing it could be off enough by a degree or two to cause no power on the top end.Since ur plugs seem ok the distrib and ignition should b ok .That's something to consider.Since what u have checked are with in the specs check the timing.

Sunday, March 13, 2005 9:04 AM
I've checked and rechecked the timing. It's 6 degrees in drive, as the emmisions lable says. It's not just a lack of power on the high end, it's not enough power to get past 30mph and it will die going up hills.

I have noticed it backfiring through the throttle body and now I have a check engine light with code 24. Haynes said check the TPS, I did and it's fine I'm beginning to think this is a throttle body problem of some sort.

Dayton
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search