1.8 help - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1.8 help
Wednesday, April 20, 2005 3:25 PM
ok, so back to the skyhwak hatchback, i found this car in a junkyard, the title just missed being sent in for scrap, and the car ran when they parked it, the reason it is in the junkyard, is because there was something wrong with the motor, but the guy didnt know what, so i asked him how much he wanted for it and he said around 300 but lets see how it runs. so the next day me and my dad go up there to try to get it running checked everything out and then tried, the fuel pump is running, and we put gas in it, its getting spark, we squirted oil down the cylinders incase they were froze, the engine turns and turns and turns, but wont even attempt to fire, well once it almost fired, so then the battery we were using went dead and wouldnt turn it over... any suggestions on what may be wrong with this and how could i get it started ? besides a fresh battery, and i really dont want to hear the rings are bad or the engine is blown...and if this car dosnt run how much is it worth, and how much would it be to rebuild the motor it has 163,000 miles on it and is still in relativly good shape for sitting in the yard for more than 10 years, any help will be greatly appretiated, thanks *Nic

Re: 1.8 help
Wednesday, April 20, 2005 4:30 PM
Nic... lets see if any of this helps.

1. How much gas did you add? Was car sitting level? You put in 2 gal. gas, mix it with 10yrs. of water still in tank, and what ya got.? Don't forget that whatever amount of gas that "was" in the tank, has since evaporated, and left the "gooey" crap in tank and the fuel filter. Try starting with a very LITTLE shot of ether, might run

2. Diaphragm may be rotted in f/pressure regulator....giving pizz poor pressure.

3. Did you check to see if camshaft belt was broken... or jumped some teeth?

4. Pump may run to pressurize system when key is on.... but what about when your cranking engine? Oil pump might be shot, no pressure fuel pump shuts back down.

5. About a zillion ideas for wiring, either bad/broken or eaten by mice :>(

Car sounds nice. Can get r/built engine cheap for these. Heck can even slide in a 2.0. Where in Pennsy is the car? Does it have exposed h/lights... stick or auto? If you are going to pass on it, I might be interested in it . Email me.

Alan
Wednesday, April 20, 2005 4:51 PM
the car is near lancaster, with hide away headlights, its an automatic t-type, thanks for the help, i'll check and try that stuff
Wednesday, April 20, 2005 5:50 PM
the engine is getting fuel, when i pulled the plugs they were wet, the engine had compression, and the timing belt was fine, the guy at the yard said there was a guy there before that was interested in it but couldnt get it running, also discovered the distributor module laying under the car looks like it was replaced there
Thursday, April 21, 2005 12:15 PM
Yeah, try the dizzy module, that's what was wrong with mine. Rebuilding one isn't all that hard, really, but maybe you'd wanna swap a V6 or something for a little more boost on the freeway .

"In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash!"
Check out my ride at: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/738596
Thursday, April 21, 2005 12:16 PM
Oh yeah, check the coil and all wires leading to it. I snapped a wire recently and had NO spark and NO injector pulse.....try that and let us know..

"In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash!"
Check out my ride at: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/738596
Thursday, April 21, 2005 5:20 PM
motorman377, exactly how much do you know about skyhawks, i noticed you have a few under your profile, and when i searched the archives for skyhawks i found a few posts last summer concerning another t-type hatch that you were involved in conversation about...found that interesting
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search