Project got a shot in the arm - Help Needed - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Project got a shot in the arm - Help Needed
Saturday, July 09, 2005 8:07 PM
Hey Board-

Sorry I have been off a while, we now have 3 kids and just moved, car projects have taken a back seat. I am back at it now. The 84 is going for bodywork (instead of the planned mechanical improvements). I am having the whole body stripped and painted. I have all the trim off now and am ready to sand.

What I wanted to ask is where can I get trim parts? I need the upper window trim and thick black molding as well as the turbo/fi trim. Any ideas? I was able to buy the pontiac 2000 and sunbird emblems for the back as well as a NOS front arrowhead and I made a back arrowhead (with turbo) from a donor OHC/FI car.

Once the car is back from the body shop, on go the boost controller, 2.5 exhaust, cold air kit. Then (after saving pennies) the ford turbo and starion intercooler / bov.

On my other project, the Camaro dynoed 321/330 this past weekend with bolt ons and a hotcam.

Hope everyone is doing well. Happy summer.

Re: Project got a shot in the arm - Help Needed
Sunday, July 10, 2005 7:49 PM
Hi, Paul.

I junkyard most of my stuff, picking and choosing the best items from each car is sometimes the easiest route. Otherwise I go to gmpartsdirect to see what I can locate in their parts database, or I find a local GM parts guy who's having a slow day and wants something to do.

The intercooler should help the J car tremendously. You can actually reduce fuel delivery some when you have a "real" method to keep air temp down.

The hot cam is a good design. I used one in my Chevelle engine for a few years and caused all sorts of headaches for the big block guys.

-->Slow
Tuesday, July 12, 2005 5:57 AM
GMpartsdirect is a great source for parts, but the GM parts counter is the best. I agree with getting Slowolej though, get the guy on a slow day when he's bored. Most parts guys don't want to hassle with finding window rubber for a 20 year old J-body.

What color are you having the car sprayed?
Tuesday, July 12, 2005 4:02 PM
It is going to be as close as I can get to the 75U. It is going to be a 2 stage treatment though, with multiple layers of clearcoat. I will get the actual codes off the container when I see it.

Sunday, July 17, 2005 7:56 PM
Great News!

They just opened a 2000 car Part Galore (u-pick it) by my house. They have several first gens. I ended up finding a clean j2000 and taking the top door chrome trim for my convertible.

I also found a few other parts I needed. They had a couple of wagons, but the strut bars were already gone. Also all starion/conquest intercoolers and ford ihi turbos...

They even had a sunbird gt and a skyhawk t-type. No turbo sunbirds though. And no 93-up Camaros or Trans ams... They did have a twin dual cam grand prix that had promise...

Still a real good place, prices clearly posted on placards outside, $1 too get in $1 wheelbarrow rental.

Tuesday, July 19, 2005 7:45 PM
Quote:

$1 too get in $1 wheelbarrow rental.

Sounds like some of the yards in PA.

Saab 900 turbo cars sometimes have a small intercooler. The plastic ones are supposedly good to 14 ish psi, the metal ones good for a bit more. There's always Ebay.

-->Slow
Wednesday, July 20, 2005 6:18 AM
Great deal Paul. I have one pull-a-part in town that I could live at. Its clean, $1 to get in, and you can really get good, clean stuff there.

If I see any other strut bars, I'll grab them. I have a J-body stash in my garage already started
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search