2.0 OHV Motor Questions - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.0 OHV Motor Questions
Thursday, August 04, 2005 5:27 PM
Well it appears that the head gasket has gone on my 86 cav. The car has a 2.0 OHV. The motor has 138k miles. So I'm now considering my options.

Has anyone else pulled a 2.0 an a cav with an auto transmission? Any hints and tips.

I have been looking at long blocks. It seems that there all in the $1000 range. Anybody have any recommendations.

When pulling the motor, is it easier to pull the motor and trans together or pull the motor alone. I will probably want to rebuild the trans while I'm at it.

Other questions:

Can a 2.2 long block be used in place of the 2.0 long block? Will all of the accessories, intake, exhaust, etc bolt onto the long block? This car is pre-serpentine belt and uses tbi.

Finally, I know someone will suggest a 3400 swap. I been considering it real hard, but I feel I will loose the simple driveability that I liked some much about this car. I've read the posts, and it seems exhaust, fuel, and cable issues yeild more of a project car, rather than a reliable everyday driver. In addition, it seems that with out a donor car it could be an expensive proposition.

Re: 2.0 OHV Motor Questions
Thursday, August 04, 2005 7:31 PM
Tom.... check this out..... ebay, where else????, item #7989629404...2.0 brand new short block from GM. $199.99 + 185.97 shipping.

On shipping, they use Yellow Tranportation 1-800-610-6500. Call & see if there's a terminal near you. You can save the to house delivery charges, makes it a little cheaper for you. Man with forklift will set it right in whatever ya got.

For info on engine, call Sarah at 1-800-248-1870. She's really good, goes out of her way to help you.

Alan
Wednesday, August 17, 2005 9:22 AM
The 2.0 is easy to pull. I remember having tons of engine bay space back in the day. With auto trans I usually just pull the motor itself and leave the trans while with the manual I pull them both out as a unit. Each person has their opinion but i've done it about a dozen times on various J bodies and thats my way. You won't lose driveability by doing a swap. I went to a stock 2.8 v6 years ago and it felt like a monster compared to my 2.0, and then to a 3.1 stick and now a full build n/a 3400 and she cruises nice and smooth. But yeah like the guys said, lots of people selling GM NOS engines on ebay

Wednesday, August 17, 2005 1:30 PM
Thanks Luis. I have been following your posts on V6Z24. I didn't realize you had the 3400 in and drivable. I think I'm suffering from too many projects/cars. So I'm still weighing my options. I posted the car for sale, but really hate the thought of selling such a solid 1st gen conv. I'd love to go with a 3400 swap, but feel it would be too long a project. I've seen alot of burned rack boots, heater hoses, clutch issues, and other driveability problems.

Replacing the 2.0 seemed like a quick option. I have been watching E-bay for 2.0 motors and haven't seen a cheap crate motor yet.

-Tom
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search