Coolant Temp Sensor? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Coolant Temp Sensor?
Saturday, August 13, 2005 2:23 AM
1987 Chevrolet Cavalier RS Wagon
GM L4 2.0L FWD Small Block

Where in the world is the "Coolant Temp Sensor..."
What I am wanting to do is add one of those guages that tell you what temperature your coolant is, but I've run into a problem...

I can see 2 things, either sending units or sensors or both, right on the same pipeline where the thermostat is housed... Both have 2 wires, 1 with Black and Yellow, the Other with both Green wires... Which one is it I need to remove and replace with the Temp Guage Probe?

Thanks for any help you can give.

1987 Chevy Cavalier Stationwagon RS
I NEED OVERHAULED

Re: Coolant Temp Sensor?
Saturday, August 13, 2005 9:35 PM
EASY answer the black and yellow wire are in fact the temperature coolant switch. The other two green wires go to the switch that light up the dash for low coolant or rather HI TEMP.I have replaced EVERY sensor on my 2.0 type 10 so that was pretty easy for me answer.IF ur are going to replace that sender U should flush the system and go ahead and do ur thermostat as well and don't forget to do those hoses upper and lower if they are more than 4 years old!!!! I know this will help ya out.Just for ur info the oem part is a gp sorenson TSU81 for 8.24 at advance auto not that it matters.

Sunday, August 14, 2005 3:30 AM
Thanks!

I would have to add that the one with 2 green wires will have to be the HI TEMP Warning Light Sending unit, because the low coolant light sending unit is on the radiator itself. Found this out when I flushed the radiator and replaced the hoses about 2 weeks ago heh.

But by your reply, am I correct to assume that the probe needs to go in place of the sending unit that has the Black and Yellow wires? I'll await your reply to be sure before I go yanking bolts and running wires rofl.

I NEED OVERHAULED
Sunday, August 14, 2005 7:12 PM
Yes the black and yellow wires are the water temp sending unit.It should have a clip on it to lock on the electrical connection.The high temp sender which has the two green wires has a slide on conector.And the water temp sender is Bigger in size as well.Alrighty.

Monday, August 15, 2005 1:58 AM
Awsome... Thanks for the help Ron.

I NEED OVERHAULED
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search