122-I4 vs 173-V6 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
122-I4 vs 173-V6
Sunday, August 28, 2005 6:49 AM
CAR: 1987 Chevrolet Cavalier Stationwagon RS
TYPE: 122 I4 2.0L, FWD

QUESTION:
173 2.8 V6 85-87 Fwd,Fi,Block #820

in place of the engine I currently have:
122 2.0 I4 87-89 Ohv,Alum.Head,Block #009

Both are FWD

I know I would need a matching FWD Tranny
and UP the Suspension on the Front to compensate for the bigger engine...

My worst fear is having to make the engine compartment bigger... I would rather drop the V6 in and maybe modify a few engine mounts if necessary but nothing really major.

Is this possible?

1987 Chevy Cavalier Stationwagon RS
I NEED OVERHAULED

Re: 122-I4 vs 173-V6
Sunday, August 28, 2005 8:49 AM
the engine bay was the same, and the engine will bolt right in. you will need to swap the tranny, axles, rad, wiring harness, ecm, ect to make it all work though. while you are doing this, its a good time for a 5 speed swap (if you want a cool 5 speed wagon). a 3.1l will actualy be a better choice, and its the same amount of work.

Sunday, August 28, 2005 4:37 PM
Sadly, I am looking through the list of rebuilt engines and I can't find a Year 87 3.11
I like the idea though.

I am thinking of 5 speed tranny swap but I would have to add in a clutch and all that good stuff and pretty much I just want to get the engine that will most likely fit and a matching tranny (automatic) and bolt it into place without having to transform anything to its counterpart such as Automatic to Manual Tranny.... If there was an Automatic 5Spd Tranny that would work, I probably would get that.

But for starts, I think I will settle for the 174 2.8 V6 and a matching automatic tranny for it.

Thanks for the quick reply and answer. I've been to 2 other forums and the only thing I've gotten from them are "Why do that when you could...". I Appreciate the on topic answer.

Thanks for the help.

Daniel

P.S. - Would it be ok, when I get all this done, to cut an area in the hood for a Ram Scoop, just so I can have Cold-Air Intake? I realize that there are other proper ways of doing the Cold-Air intake but I REALLY want to have a working Ram Scoop... I think that would be a nice "flare" to the Wagon lol.

1987 Chevy Cavalier Stationwagon RS
I NEED OVERHAULED
Sunday, August 28, 2005 10:05 PM
no there never was an 87 3.1l, they started making them in 89, and 90 in the j. however, the 3.1l is the identical engine externaly to a 2.8l, only difference is the plenum says 3.1 not 2.8.

btw, the block you list is actualy a cast iron head motor used in the 85 and 86 cavalier, but it was also used in the fiero till 88, and in other aplications in 87. you want an 87-89 2.8l.

Thursday, September 01, 2005 1:58 PM
sharkey - why would you have to change the auto trans? I thought the 2.0 OHV and 2.8/3.1 used the same bellhousing bolt pattern. I realize that the 2.0 OHC used a different bellhousing bolt pattern.

-Tom
Thursday, September 01, 2005 6:26 PM
the tranny behind the 2.0l ohv is not the same internaly as the v6 version. the v6 version is beefed up a bit (more clutches, more pinions in the planetaries) and has different gearing, along with a different stall converter. you can use a 4 cyl tranny, but it wont last as long and gas mialage is gonna be worse with a higher stall converter.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search