v6 conv - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
v6 conv
Friday, October 21, 2005 2:50 PM
so in the prosses of getting my 85 cavalier 2.8 convertable into running order i have stubled onto a bit of a glitch in the parts industry...did you know that v6 convertables had different brakes on them?...neither did i my car has finned rotors and also larger calipers on them, i was going to put new calipers on it and then found out that the company that supplied the parts store only had one set...so i purchased that one set and thought i was good to go, not only to recive a phone call three days later explaining that the one pair of calipers had been misplaced during shipping, the power steering in my car was also acting up as well, so i thought i would check on that...removed the belt and pulled on the pully and it popped right off, grr...so once again called the parts store...and once again discovered it was vehicle specific, oh joy ! there are two of these left one in the indiana warehouse 3 days away, but if they cant find that one they will ship it from the ny warehouse...3 weeks away, just thought i would vent and add a new post because i havent in awhile, so once i get the steering and brakes squared away it can go into the bodyshop for a few mods and new paint, then to the upholstery shop for a new top, and home for a new set of wheels and tires, woot !

p.s. still have yet to find the some weather stripping for inbetween the quarter windows and door glass

just had to listen to my dad when he said, hey you dont see many of those around, you should buy it...thx dad !

sincerly Nic Glass

Re: v6 conv
Friday, October 21, 2005 7:16 PM
i have never heard of verts having different brakes. everything i have ever read only lists brake stuff for 1 style for 82-91, and 92+ is different. even alldata i use at work doesnt have verts listed seperately.

Friday, October 21, 2005 8:53 PM
yea, apparently they have finned rotors, and wider calipers to fit over the rotors... could have fooled me too
Saturday, October 22, 2005 1:56 PM
Nic... actually there are 3 types of f/rotors used on J's.

1. 1982 used solid or non-vented rotors.

2. 1982-84 also had a vented rotor, which I think you refer to as "finned"

3. 1985-88 used vented rotors only.

Calipers.....

1. 1982-83 non-vented rotors used one type.

2. 1982-87 vented used another style.

3. 1988 and up had either a first designation type, to be used with m/cylinder labeled DL and the booster labeled NT

4. 1988 and up second designation was to be used with m/cylinder labeled NT and the booster was also labeled NT.

Hope this helps...... Alan
Saturday, October 22, 2005 2:45 PM
I'm not sure what parts store you're using, but I have ALWAYS had great luck with Napa. They have been able to find most anything I need and have it within one business day. I don't work there or anything, just saying Napa has always come through for me with "hard to find" stuff for this car, and other older cars I've owned.

Good luck with your 85! Don't see too many 85 ragtops, let alone with the V6. There was one on ebay a while back and it was a real project car.

Monday, October 24, 2005 6:37 AM
i second the Napa claim. they don't always have the best prices, but they can locate just about anything you want.

pirates kick ninja asses, f00
Monday, October 24, 2005 5:49 PM
i'll check there then

in other events, i just saw an 85 convertable with high miles and a good motor for $ 1000, calling tommorow to find out details
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search