85 Convertible Value - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
85 Convertible Value
Wednesday, November 02, 2005 5:43 PM
So my wife and I were driving along last night and happened upon a white 85 Type 10 convertible for sale at a local car lot. Its been modified a bit, with an entire z24 ground effects kit, hood, bumpers, and interior. Repainted to white with a red interior. Very clean, and very nicely done! It looks factory, even though you can tell it was someone's toy. 2.8 V6 with the automatic. 1 of 4,108 convertibles made in 85.

It seems like a clean low mileage ragtop that somone decked out about 5-10 years ago. I'm just wondering what you all think its worth. I am looking at grabbing it for a winter car / driver that I can play around with. Plus, one day I might bring it back to stock considering how few were made in 85, and the fact that its a V6 car.

I'm thinking around $2000 or $2500 tops. It is very clean, and presentable inside and out. What are your thoughts?

Re: 85 Convertible Value
Wednesday, November 02, 2005 9:06 PM
there's a ragtop on ebay somewhat close to me, and i've been wondering the same thing...the car listed there is BEAUTIFUL. fresh looking paint, pristine interior, under 100k on the clock.

it's a shame the ebay car's a slushomatic, though - i'd love to nab one with a manual.

don't like me? tell me what you think of me in chat
Wednesday, November 02, 2005 9:27 PM
I would say no more than 2k even with all the greatness it has.Unless the car was a one owner no changes BEING a stock car and super low mileage.All this is just my opinion bc book value typically would b lower just do to age and lack of popularity among most, even tho we 1st gen owners LOVE THEM TO MUCH.Hope my input is useful some how.

Thursday, November 03, 2005 4:59 AM
Daryl - I'd look up the book value for your area using kelleybluebook.com. Use excellent condition when pricing it out. My guess is it should be in the 1000 - 1200 range at most. I would use this to try to bargain with the dealer/seller. That's how I got my white 86 RS conv. I was able to buy the car for $500.

I know I don't have to remind you what to look for when checking it out, but here are some don't forgets:

check the trunk - must of the conv's leak and water fills up the trunk - great bargaining tool
check the rear shock mount area and bumper support area - major rust problems
lower doors love to rust
top of the windsheild - rust again

Hey, you know as I do that it may be worth buying for the Z24 kit alone. In fact if you buy it and remove the kit, I will buy it off you for my 86. I'd love a 1st gen Z24 Conv look alike.

-Tom
Thursday, November 03, 2005 5:40 AM
Thanks guys. I'll let you know what happens. I need to see this car in better light and drive it.
Thursday, November 03, 2005 2:16 PM
Well, it still has the original 2.8 motor and trans, greasy and nasty under the hood, but sounded fine. Did a cold start and it roared to life, no noises or chattering anywhere. Didn't drive it because I don' t know how serious I am about it.

The car started life in that steel blue metallic color. Strut towers are still blue, while the car has been repainted white with a red interior. They swapped out EVERYTHING inside, dash, electronic gague cluster, door panels, etc. Looks like it came that way, but the car has been 'messed with' in my opinion.

Asking price: $3495!

The best part was I told the guy I had an 86 Convertible and he goes "yeah, but is yours a Z24?"

I said: "No, and actually none of these were until 1988. This car was orginally a Type 10 convertible, and somebody installed the Z24 ground effects and painted it. It looks alright".

He replies: " So you don't think this is a real Z24? I'll get my book and check this. I'm not sure."

Sure enough, after about 5 minutes he comes out and says

"LIke to sell it before the snow flies. Don't be afraid to make an offer".

I'd pay $1200 and no more, and that's just for the parts. It would be a fun driver...but that's about it.
Thursday, November 03, 2005 7:31 PM
its worth as much as someone will pay for it

but i wouldnt look for these cars to go up in value too much

i got my 85 2.8 conv 6 yrs ago for $250.00

and am still working to convert it to a z24 look alike...
but there was definatly alot of work put into that car on the lot...with the dash swap, and the side skirts, i was looking into switching my gauges untill i found out how much work that entailed just for digi gauges

either way..i would price it at no more than 1500

i saw 2 first gen conv today, two black ones with tan tops
the first one was the guy i bought my z24 wheels and hood from

find it hillarious that the salesman didnt research the car first

i'd love to see how they put the side skirts on if you could get a few detailed pics for me ??

if not... good luck with it

oh, and additional note, check lower area of front fender in front of wheel...these were prone to being pushed in... then just bent back and bondo'd, "rolls eyes sarcastically"

later on
Sunday, November 06, 2005 7:53 AM
yeah, i got one of those first year 88 Z24 Convertibles. Nice cars. Especially the 'decked out' version I have.... 5-spd, digital dash, dark grey interior, blah blah...

I payed $1000 for this like 3 years ago, so i wouldnt go higher than 1000-1500 for that 85 Vert.

Saturday, November 12, 2005 6:25 PM
Tom wrote:Daryl - I'd look up the book value for your area using kelleybluebook.com. Use excellent condition when pricing it out. My guess is it should be in the 1000 - 1200 range at most. I would use this to try to bargain with the dealer/seller. That's how I got my white 86 RS conv. I was able to buy the car for $500.

My 1982 cav Type-10 was only worth $1400 according to SGI when it was totalled... too bad the damages were $2800+
Friday, November 18, 2005 5:22 PM
I'm not sure what that one is worth but I bought my 86 RS two years ago for $300. Just $300 for a 86 RS that would start.

It couldn't be smogged, had the left front fener and grill wipped out, nothing worked on the dash board, and it needed a new top.

The new exhaust and tuning to smog it cost about $ 600.
Rewireing and replace digital dash cost $1,100
Body work and new paint $2,900
New top installed $1,300
Parade boot $ 70
odds and ends $ 100

The current bluebook value is about $ 1,700

In a month or two, when I have more money saved up, I'm going to pull up the carpet and remove rust from the floor. I'll probably eventually rebuild the engine and trans.

I've got plenty of time to raise the money and do the work. My grand daughter is only 12 1/2 years old. I've even put in my will that it goes to her when I die -- but I'm hopping I'll still be around when she gets her license.

So what is it worth? I don't really know but I had the money and I had a wild idea. It's worth what it cost me. I'm coming out a head even though the bluebook doesn't reflect it.

Grant Johnston, Chico, CA
Friday, November 18, 2005 9:34 PM
Glad to see another fellow 1st gen enthusiast .Good luck on the restoration stuff.I am working on mine a little at a time my self,even tho its just a normal cav roof.

Saturday, November 19, 2005 11:47 AM
Yep, its good to hear about another 1st genner making some progress. About the only thing I've had trouble with on mine is weatherstripping!

Everything else seems to be readily available through the parts stores and dealerships. But the local pull-a-part has become my friend. I'm always there looking for spare parts and things to grab now, just in case

Good luck Grant!

BTW- That 85 ragtop is still for sale. Maybe I should go offer them like $1000 for it and see what happens.

Monday, December 12, 2005 6:58 PM
i bought my 86 rs for 400 bucks back in the day... all it needed was a dogbone and an alternator...

i put a coat of paint on it, the z24 bumper and a set of 15 inch mag wheels and traded it in on my 96 z and got 1600 bucks for it...

which i thought was good at the time...

till i started regretting selling it.. and started to look for it

i found the guy that bought it ( he ruined it btw) turns out he bought it for 2800 at a buy here pay here lot... guess im not getting that back form him

** FOR SALE** http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=24&i=110879&t=110879
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search