1986 2.0 OHV head gasket kit? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1986 2.0 OHV head gasket kit?
Wednesday, November 02, 2005 6:20 AM
Finally, dropped the head off at the machine shop yesterday. So now I'm planning toward re-assembly.

Has anyone ordered a fel-pro head gasket kit for an 86 2.0 OHV? This is the motor with TBI and a steel head. I am looking for the complete gasket kit - intake, exhaust, & egr/thermostat housing gaskets, along with the head bolts.

Also, the dealer tells me they no longer stock the temp sensors for non-gauge cars. I also need to get both the fan & temp light sensors. Anybody know off the top of their head if the later years are a direct swap?

Re: 1986 2.0 OHV head gasket kit?
Wednesday, November 02, 2005 8:03 AM
I know AutoZone stocks temp and oil pressure, etc sensors for these cars. My oil sending unit was $11 when I bought them 2 years ago or so. I'm sure NAPA carries them, too so I'd try them first. They seem to have better quality parts in my opinion.

As far as the Fel-Pro stuff goes, you should be able to order a "head set" with all the parts you need. Comes with everything but the exhaust 'donut' for the downpipe / manifold joint.

Fel-Pro#-HS9407PT
Sealed Power#-260-2502

The head bolts are a separate part
Fel-Pro# ES72162
Sealed Power# 260-2502

I succesfully ordered a Fel-Pro head set & bolts for my Quad-4 powered SCX a few years back at my local Car Quest store. Nobody else carried Fel Pro stuff! If you can't locate one, Napa's "Victor Reinz" gaskets are not bad. They are produced by Mr. Gasket if I recall.

Good luck!

Wednesday, November 02, 2005 9:38 PM
Yep auto zone doe carry sensors galore.I replaced my therm and egr via auto zone.It's not really hard to come by.They had what I needed in stock.I had did a complete cooling system flush new water pump,belts,therm, and both the sensors for the dummy light I have and the temp sens switch itself,I have no gauges.SHould not b a issue napa is great for sensors as well the advance auto and by the way advance has PICS of most parts online to verify a similar or just like sensors for oem stuff.That should cover it,I have REPLACED EVERY sensor on my car and including a little know sensor the HIGH OIL TEMP sensor which is on the front side at theTSU 87 is the # at advance.Also the air cleaner has one E115 air cleaner temp sensor has two vac lines go to it advance part num for ur info.Both were about 5-10 bux.I just wrote a book.

Wednesday, November 02, 2005 9:46 PM
oops forgot to say that oil temp sensor is located at the 1# cyl plug with a slip on electrical connector and the sensors are GP sorenson brand.Advance or the zone should have these as normal stock even if u have not considered replacing the ones I mentioned.

Thursday, November 03, 2005 4:50 AM
Ron/Daryl - Thanks for the info and part numbers. I'm off to the store today. I took some pictures of the motor with the top half disassembled, but I'm sure I'll need to post a question or two when putting it back together.

The head needs to be cut and rebuilt. However, it was crack free. In addition, he's cleaning up the threads on the egr/thermostat housing for me. Should pick it up on Sat morning.

Ron - I was wondering what that sensor was on the head. You saved me from having to look through the manual. I'm thinking I will probably change all of the sensors now also. Easier to do with everything apart.

-Tom
Thursday, November 03, 2005 5:35 AM
Tom- Good luck with the rebuild. I'm thinking about giving my 86 a valve job for Christmas so this info is useful for me, too.
Thursday, November 03, 2005 7:53 PM
Yeah that high oil temp sensor was a mother to determine exactly what function it served.But after some research on advance and my two books and chiltonsonline by the way ITS FREAKING AWESOME helped me find out what the crap it was.The chiltons online manual shows a complete breakdown of every thing!!!! For only 20 bux for two yrs its well worth it .Glad to help when ever possible.By the way if u ever do a new injector install DO NOT buy it from auto zone,go to advance its like 74.00 and is the correct part for all 2.0 tbi cavs.I went thru a pain in the azz to find this out, etc.I have all but rebuilt my tbi except the gasket where it mounts to the intake.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search