Exhaust Recommendations? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Exhaust Recommendations?
Friday, November 04, 2005 4:14 PM
Anyone know of a relatively inexpensive 2.5" downpipe back solution for an 84 Sunbird?

Any ideas appreciated. Trying to get a little more outta the turbo 1.8.

Thanks.

Re: Exhaust Recommendations?
Friday, November 04, 2005 9:41 PM
Ummm not sure exactly what u want,I have had my exhaust done from the front to rear using the 2.5 stuff, have a turbo cherry bomb muffler on it.I replaced my oem version or muffler shop muffler with the cherry this summer.It sounds about stock and had to do some minor pipe expansion on the muffler to make it fit.Its all welded except the muffler since I did it my self with clamps.Hope this is some what useful.

Friday, November 04, 2005 10:18 PM
your only bet is custom made from an exaust shop.

Saturday, November 05, 2005 9:03 AM
They are gonna wanto to throw a cat and muffler on it, right?

What am I looking at - a few hundred or so?

I wanted to know if you guys knew of any oem alternatives that had pretty good flow.

Thanks.

Saturday, November 05, 2005 8:40 PM
It cost me about 250.00 for a new oem cat and pipe and oem muffler originally.Now I only replaced the pipe from the cat all the way back not the pipe coming from the exh manifold to the cat then all the way back.Now the shop I use is a perf and stock shop but have the BEST prices in my town and do great work using good stainless.I am pretty sure if u did it from the manifold all the way it will b more,but u can see if there are some high flow cats offered by a shop,unless u find one u want instead which in that case they won't warranty the cat but may be the install as most shops treat it this way.Ok

Sunday, January 01, 2006 7:28 PM
I did fail to tell u that I did replace my exhaust manifold with a brand new stock 4 into one that I bought at advance auto.From what I rember the cost was about 170.00 which includes the hardware and doughnut gasket at the clamp.I am pretty sure it was advance anyway but,regardless it did have the heat shield on it.I just reused my bolts just soaked them in muratic acid to remove rust and primed and painted in heat type paint.I was just looking bk on some old post and thought I would add some info to it.

Sunday, January 01, 2006 7:36 PM
looks like mantapart has a relatively inexpensive cat-back pipe solution - I will just add a bigger muffler.

Should I hog out the cat or not?

Sunday, January 01, 2006 10:26 PM

i don't know what size it was, but i went with the walker turbo muffler on my 87 z24
Monday, January 02, 2006 7:43 PM
My cherry bomb was 2.5inches when I did mine this summer with all the new rear end project.I had to size it to fit the current pipe coming from the cat with a expander and so forth.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search