Problem with body work - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Problem with body work
Friday, December 30, 2005 5:58 PM
Hi everybody. I was continuing body work on my 1986 cavalier four door to put a stop to the rust that was occurring to the body. The panels below the doors (not sure if they are referred to as rocker panels, the panel below the door that is thin sheet metal in between the wheels beginning at the bottom of the front door and ending at the back of the rear door door where it turns into the quarter panel). I will post pictures up but the frame looks to be in excellent condition but the panels are just rusted to hell. I was hoping to find replacement panels, but my attempts to locate them have been fruitless. I was wondering if you guys might be able to help me on getting the right name for this part because it will have to be mig or tig welded on. If you have any ideas for where I would be able to purchase on of these, that would be great. Any information would be great. Posting pictures up soon. Thanks again.

Re: Problem with body work
Sunday, January 01, 2006 12:16 AM
www.rustrepair.com they have rockers door skins ect. good luck
Sunday, January 01, 2006 4:25 PM
You will need "inner and outer" rocker panels. The "inner" is actually a structural piece that goes diagonally across the rocker panel. It can be fabricated pretty easily actually.

These are spot welded to the body. Any competent body shop can do this easily. You will also find that at the least the front of the "lip" of the belly pan will be rotted away. Also check the lower part of the windshiled pillar behind the rear of the front fender.

Good luck!
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 4:58 PM
How would you go about fabricating the inner rocker panel. What material would you use. A few other questions though what would they charge at a shop to attach new rocker panels because I was thinking about trying it myself, because a few shops gave a quote of 1000-1500. I am thinking it would not be that hard to do it myself, but just need to know where I could purchase outer rocker panels and inner rocker panels if they are both available. If not I would appreciate some directions on how to make them. Thank you and I look forward to your reply.
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 5:25 AM
Try JC Whitney. They have steel replacement rocker panels for a ton of cars, and I can't search their site with my slow dial-up at work. Try them at www.jcwhitney.com and if you don't come up with something there, call their 800 number and ask a customer service rep. I've had good luck with them over the years.

That would be the only place that I know of where you could find those things.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search