Steering Rack...again. - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Steering Rack...again.
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 5:28 AM
I seem to have cooked my power steering pump thanks to a leaky steering rack that I put off fixing. Now I've learned the hard way that you can't put this stuff off.

So now I need to go shopping for a new rack, and P/S pump, and while I'm in there I might as well do hoses too. Anyone have advice on the best place to get a reman pump & rack at? I've had good luck with Napa stuff, but they are pricey.

Anyone have luck with those racks on eBay that come up from time to time?

Re: Steering Rack...again.
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 10:15 AM
i am in a similar situation...my uncle might help me out cause he works for a parts store but well see..lol...im not excited about the prices...lol

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 4:27 PM
No joke. I got quoted $110 +$50 core for the rack, and another $90.99 + $75 for a new pump with resevoir!

I don't think these parts cost that much back in 1986!

Whatever.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 8:19 PM
Don't feel too bad I am getting ready to replace at least left side axle assembly.My input shaft is leaking and since I will have to remove the whole axle to do,I figured I might as well do the axle its 20 yrs old.Cost 63.41 plus a 15.00 core.I am thinking I may do the rhs too,just depends.Advance is where I am going thank goodness I have 3 gift cards from xmas totalling 65.00 so It want hurt to much.

Thursday, January 05, 2006 10:04 AM
Try www.RockAuto.com. I have been using them for all my parts lately. Parts are the same quality as the parts store (in fact the even carry AC Delco for some stuff) and significantly cheaper. I am at work now, but when I get home, I can forward you a discount code. Just send me your email address. Daryl, I am pretty sure I still have yours.

-Tom

In addition, I saw that Ebay had a manual rack which was pretty inexpensive. Anyone want to give it a try?
Thursday, January 05, 2006 10:19 AM
Tom- I saw that one on ebay and was hoping to snag that. I might just do it because it is VERY cheap for what it is. Remans for manuals w/o a core are close to $250-280 from what I've seen! MIght be good to grab it and hold onto it for a future Cav project. I'm being optimistic that the wifey will let me grab a clean 1st gen coupe at some point.

In reality I will look at the racks from RockAuto and start saving my cash. Thanks guys!
Monday, January 09, 2006 5:23 AM
Well, the wife came out and helped me install a new P/S pump Sunday on the Cavalier. I had to call 5 parts stores in town before I finally found one in stock, but it was worth it. We swapped out the pulley, and resevoir and got it all buttoned up again. Works fine. The car is at least driveable again!

Now its time to find a rack. We'll install that after we move to Illinois at the end of the month, and I'll try and post up some pics of the process.
Monday, January 09, 2006 8:18 PM
Yeah pics do wonders for us 1st gen peps.That's why I try to document everything I do to share and what to look for and expect.My rack is on 15 yrs old it was replaced in 90.But the car was not driven to death and everything is solid being I have kept a eye on it.My sister drove it for hs,and college and then it sat for while,she bought a newer car.Then I bought it,and glad I did.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 4:03 AM
Daryl, When you pulled the power steering pump, how many bolts threaded into the intake mainfold? I know there is the one that goes through the braket at the back. However, it looks like there is a space for another bolt next to it (i.e., same horizontal plane, just closer to the head.) When I sort out all of the bolts I have left, and look at the diagram in the manual, it looks like this is an extra bolt hole, but I want to be sure.

Next question, I asked Ron to take some pictures of his alternator and power steering pump. They showed me almost everything. However, I think that the chevy's have a brace that goes from the head to the idler pully bracket. Do you have a picture of the top of your motor with the air cleaner off?

-Thanks Tom
Wednesday, January 11, 2006 4:18 AM
Tom- I can snap one this evening when I get home. If I recall there is a brace or "cradle" that the P/S pump bolts to with 3 bolts. Two of those are notched so you can adjust the belt tension.

But the "brace" or frame that holds it bolts to the head with 2 bolts and the intake with 1.

Don't quote me on this until I go back and look at it, and snap a picture. I didn't have to remove this "brace" to take the pump off, but I did notice it. I'll post up tonight, and for real this time!
Thursday, January 12, 2006 7:47 PM
[IMG][IMG] Tom I got home earlier enough today so I took the pics u requested since daryl did not do it yet.I know these will HELP.OK

Friday, January 13, 2006 4:41 AM
Ron, Thank you again. I have the alternator and power steering pump back on the car. I also set the lash on the rockers yesterday. All I need to do now is install the vaccum lines, put the radiator overflow back on, plugs and wires, install the valve cover, install the throttle body, put the air cleaner back on, add fluids and start it up.

I do need to find a tube to use for the crankcase vent line. The plastic one that was in the valve cover was broken. This let the oil vapor just flow out, making a big mess of the top of the motor.

My plan is to have this car running again this weekend.

-Tom
Friday, January 13, 2006 9:20 PM
No problem with the pics.I got home early enuff to take pics just incase d did not .Glad to here things are finally coming together.I do not have any big plans as of this coming wkend to do work on the cav,its way to wet from rain and temps are gonna fall a little.I think the axle project is on hold due to weather plus I gotta buy the parts first,which I have the cash to do but ,the rain every couple days screws things all up.Cool at least my ride is running minus doing the axle upgrade stuff.I drove the crap out of it last wkend after doing the cables and omg I LOVE MY CAV! Just can not get enuff of that feel I get out of driving it,it is just a cavalier thing I guess.Sweet.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search