2.0 OHV breather tube needed - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.0 OHV breather tube needed
Saturday, January 14, 2006 11:23 AM
Well my head gasket project is almost done. I do need the plastic tube that goes into the valve cover for a 2.0 OHV. The one that was in mine was broken, thereby adding to the oily mess on top of the motor. Let me know if you have an extra tube (or valve cover with the tube).

-Tom

Re: 2.0 OHV breather tube needed
Saturday, January 14, 2006 9:41 PM
Tom I had the same problem with mine broke it was.I went to advance auto and used the old tube to compare to the new pvc valves they had,I just removed the stuff I did not need from a 90* angle pvc and used some electrical tape on the end going into the valve cover for a snug fit.I know this is engineering it ,but heck it works and also bought some rubber hose cut it to fit like a glove,NO LEAKS.This is really the only way u are going to fix this issue bc its not available anymore.IF U want some of my hi tech pics of how I did my part I will post one pic showing my so called fix.I also replaced the rubber grommet in the valve cover from advance so it would b tight and no more oil on the top side of the valve cover!Hope this gives u the direction to take on this issue.

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 4:57 AM
Thanks Ron. I figured I might need to gin up something, but it doesn't hurt to ask

I will also need to get or bend new tranny coolant lines. I found out probably why the head gasket blew. The radiator has a leak near the top. The radiator was easy to get out, but the tranny coolant lines have seen a better day.

I love old cars

-Tom
Tuesday, January 17, 2006 3:31 PM
Tom-

I will check the garage and see if I have one somewhere, and its yours. Still got a lot of stuff in boxes from the move, and I still can't find my digital camera....so no pic of the engine bay like you asked.

I keep striking out, man!

As for the trans cooler lines, GM did not sell replacements as far as I know. Mine were leaking from the rubber midsections about 3-4 years ago so I stopped by the dealer and was told the service techs simply cut the metal pipe, and installed trans cooler hose and double-clamped it. The tech told me I could do it with the lines still on the car, but I opted to remove mine just in case.

Once removed, you can put the rubber part of the hose (tighten it on the metal crimped section) in a vice and you can twist out the flared steel pipe. I was able to save all sections of mine, and I just replaced the rubber hose with trans cooler hose from NAPA. Can't recall the diameter. Give yourself a little extra hose to compensate for engine movement and virbration. I used the old rubber sections for a guide.

Double clamp each end (total of 8 hose clamps) and reinstall the lines and you're set! I haven't had a leak out of mine since the repair.

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 9:55 PM
Tom -- I know I took that part out of my Cavalier a couple months ago. The excessive blowby was fouling my air filter, so I opted to vent it all into an oily mess on the valve cover... If Daryl can't find the part, let me know, and I'll look around and see if I can find mine. I know I didn't throw it out, it's just a question of which extra parts box I put it into.
Wednesday, January 18, 2006 5:10 AM
Thanks. If either of you find it, drop me an email or update the post and I will send you whatever you need for shipping.

-Tom
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search